U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 PM

5,865 posts, read 5,713,274 times

Advertisements

I've been going to church since about 1975. Wow what a difference. I happened to go to the Pentecostal church back then. Let me tell you a few things about what church was like!

That was before Jimmy Swaggart has his huge fall into sin. That was when R W Schambach came to Chicago (and elsewhere) for revivals in the big auditorium on the south side (which ironically now is a church for another kind of religion).

Yes, those two preachers were very inspirational and I really enjoyed it. They were so different than they are today. Swaggart has gone the way of the name it and claim it bunch.

Some time ago R W Schambach started a school of ministry in McAllen TX but i haven't checked to see how well it is doing or what they are teaching the students.

Anyway, that was the time that we were NOT supposed to wear jewelry, makeup, cut our hair, wear sleeves shorter than our elbow, no miniskirts, no rock music! it was the music of the devil. No going to movies, no worldly entertainment like TV watching. A major "holiness denomination (as it was called) was the Church of God in Christ. Wow .they were very strict on dress codes and your social activities. We were told NOT to go to certain other worldly churches. Oh and no sex and no making out on dates, all that was not ok.

Well then i somehow got busy with other things in life, and I left the church to actually get married and raise kids and i sort of left the church, but i keep on serving God but not in the normal way.. im sort of a free spirit but thats another topic! but im still here!

Anyway, i went back in the 1980's. Wow everything changed. I went back to some of those "holiness" churches and wow, the women ALL were wearing pants, jewelry, big hats, makeup, etc. all the things that the old holiness crowd used to rigorously forbid us from enjoying!! lol…

Anyway, thats my story of my early Christian life. Times have changed.. But i did get to enjoy a time when church seemed to be more pure, even though we had stricter rules, it seems like there was something good about all those rules, i dont know, maybe i equate some of them with leading a holy life, though i do know that none of those things mean holiness per se, but having some boundaries seemed to be good at least for me. and I got to see old fashioned church before it turned modern as it is now, and it seems to have lost some of its flavor.

now i see so much of the "Word of Faith" name it and claim it preachers, actually a few of them are still on tv, amazingly. Peter Popoff is. He was always a fraud! and still on TV. I am sad that my fave R W Schambach has gone from basically a good solid minister to a name it and claim it guy. so sadz for that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 PM

9,265 posts, read 5,486,975 times
Go to U-Tube and watch some of Paul Washer's messages. He is a literalist, inerrantist but knows where to point the message of holiness---right at our churches. And I mean evangelical churches. The one I enjoyed most was a message to 5000 youth at some convention when he stated we need people to live for God when almost no one does. The students began cheering him and he shut them up with, "What are you cheering about? I'm talking about you!" That quieted them down instantly.

In the old days when preachers dwelt on sin which was keeping people from Jesus, I remember much of it directed toward the congregation in a church. I always preached my own sermons aiming at myself and was constantly amazed at the number of people who thought I was directing a message at them.

Now preaching is mostly aimed externally, as if preaching about all those sinners "out there" and getting a lot of amens "in here" would make a difference in the lives of the listeners. The good old days were when preachers tried to bring their congregations to a " closer walk with thee."

One of my favorite Paul Washer quotes is,"Jesus in not a ticket to be purchased with a prayer, then placed in your pocket to be redeemed at Heaven's gate."

Old 07-09-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Go to U-Tube and watch some of Paul Washer's messages. He is a literalist, inerrantist but knows where to point the message of holiness---right at our churches. And I mean evangelical churches. The one I enjoyed most was a message to 5000 youth at some convention when he stated we need people to live for God when almost no one does. The students began cheering him and he shut them up with, "What are you cheering about? I'm talking about you!" That quieted them down instantly.

In the old days when preachers dwelt on sin which was keeping people from Jesus, I remember much of it directed toward the congregation in a church. I always preached my own sermons aiming at myself and was constantly amazed at the number of people who thought I was directing a message at them.

Now preaching is mostly aimed externally, as if preaching about all those sinners "out there" and getting a lot of amens "in here" would make a difference in the lives of the listeners. The good old days were when preachers tried to bring their congregations to a " closer walk with thee."

One of my favorite Paul Washer quotes is,"Jesus in not a ticket to be purchased with a prayer, then placed in your pocket to be redeemed at Heaven's gate."
Bro Paul is my FAVE preacher, him and Tim Conway in San Antonio #2 I actually got to hear Bro Paul when he came to town!

I do like how he views certain kinds of preaching - the easy believism. I do think he has a good idea about missionaries - dont sent foreigners but teach the locals and send them out as missionaries. Its better for practical reasons and also the locals already know the customs and language of the people.

So you see things different nowadays too? I kinda miss that old time preaching, maybe thats why i like Paul Washer's preaching.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:35 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,317,985 times
I have noticed a big difference between what church was like when I was a kid and church today, sad to say but I have given up on church.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:46 AM

7,311 posts, read 4,950,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I have noticed a big difference between what church was like when I was a kid and church today, sad to say but I have given up on church.
What do you think the differences are? (just curious)

Old 07-11-2014, 12:08 AM

30,684 posts, read 33,450,741 times
When I was going to Baptist church back in the 70's nobody was talking about having a relationship with god, everyone was too busy being scared of the preacher. And although there was a youth group the church wasn't youth/teen orientated, nobody was having rock concerts for Christ or getting cross tattoos.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
When I was going to Baptist church back in the 70's nobody was talking about having a relationship with god, everyone was too busy being scared of the preacher. And although there was a youth group the church wasn't youth/teen orientated, nobody was having rock concerts for Christ or getting cross tattoos.
Yes good point! a lot was pretty strong preaching. the church denomination I went to was Pentecostal - and they had drums and guitar but it was way different than the rock band type musicians nowadays.

OH by the way, CCM was CONDEMNED! (contemporary Christian music).. now that music is so prevalent in churches.

I'm enjoying remembering how it was back then, I kinda liked it, even though there was so many rules, but it provided a boundary that for me, I am better off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity