Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:19 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
kaykay, we cross posted. I don't believe it was God's miracle but more a phenomenon. But whether it was God's intervention or the absence of wind, it is not considered a religious holiday, but a festival. Several of the Jewish holidays are outside of religion, in the strictest sense, but are rather honorific: seasons, or events. Sukkoth celebrates the harvest. It is not religious, either, and in fact, I believe Reformed Temples often have non-Jewish friends join them in building and celebrating Autumn and building the Sukkot.

One can be blessed at Sukkoth, but I believe only the very religious take this opportunity to do so.
Hmmm. Well, that's interesting. I would have assumed that all the Jewish Festivals were religious in nature. I thought they were commanded by God to observe them in the Old Testament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 03:22 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Here's one program I found easily on NPR. It may be the one I heard, but it will provide a fairly good overview:

Hanukkah

Old 12-18-2007, 03:23 PM

Actually, if I am not mistaken the events commemorated by Hanukkah occurred post-Old Testament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Hmmm. Well, that's interesting. I would have assumed that all the Jewish Festivals were religious in nature. I thought they were commanded by God to observe them in the Old Testament.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:30 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Hanukkah is not a religious holiday but a festival, more of a celebration. Jesus did celebrate, but it is unlikely that Christians would commemorate this festival anymore than they would celebrate other Jewish festivals.

Here's a wee bit about the festival here: (http://www.centralpc.org/docs/hanukkah.htm - broken link)
This is very interesting and I hope I"'ll be able to come back to this. I was skimming this page and realized they started quoting the New Testament. This site is actually hosted by a Presbyterian Church and apparently DOES celebrate Hanukkah, bigthirsty.

Interesting indeed. Maybe I should start celebrating Hanukkah too. Wouldn't that freak my friends and family out.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:32 PM

Here is a list of all the Jewish Holidays

I suspect that many have heard of few of these celebrations. The high holy days include many smaller celebrations/religious observations that are only celebrated by the very religious or those very invested in celebration and are rarely discussed.

Although, in NYC, we always had alternate side of the street parking even for obscure holidays of all religions.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:33 PM

We can all agree to a central location and celebrate together. Wouldn't that be wonderful. I vote for NYC on the night they lite the big Christmas tree in Rockefeller Centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

Interesting indeed. Maybe I should start celebrating Hanukkah too. Wouldn't that freak my friends and family out.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
This is very interesting and I hope I"'ll be able to come back to this. I was skimming this page and realized they started quoting the New Testament. This site is actually hosted by a Presbyterian Church and apparently DOES celebrate Hanukkah, bigthirsty.

I'll send you a dreidl!

Old 12-18-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
We can all agree to a central location and celebrate together. Wouldn't that be wonderful. I vote for NYC on the night they lite the big Christmas tree in Rockefeller Centre.
Sounds like a winner to me, OTR! Wait till I tell my dh I'm going to New York City to celebrate Hanukkah with all my online pals!!

Old 12-18-2007, 03:49 PM

kaykay, we can invite spouses.

I wish I still lived there and we'd have a grown-up pj party, eat well, drink lightly, and enjoy each other's company.

NYC is beautiful at the Christmas Holidays--just beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Sounds like a winner to me, OTR! Wait till I tell my dh I'm going to New York City to celebrate Hanukkah with all my online pals!!

Old 12-18-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
kaykay, we can invite spouses.

I wish I still lived there and we'd have a grown-up pj party, eat well, drink lightly, and enjoy each other's company.

NYC is beautiful at the Christmas Holidays--just beautiful.
LOL! Ok, wait till I tell my dh WE'RE going to NYC to celebrate Hanukkah with my online pals!

Actually, I bet NYC IS beautiful at Christmas time! Never been, but I would love to be there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity