Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 04:07 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
All right, if the consensus is that this was a common expression used over the course of 600-700 years in Israel, then far be it from me to denigrate it. Sounds a trifle suspicious to me, but then there have been very few scholars who have called Mark on it. Let the scholars have the last word, which is that there isn't anything awry going on here. I just call 'em as I see 'em and sometimes I see them wrong.
honestly? I see your non-stop posts attacking the scriptures. It's almost non-stop. Most of them are really quite ridiculous. Some of them have been over issues of reading comprehension that my 10 year old could correct you on. But you seem to be a bright person--you're not dumb. You HAVE TO see that these arguments are silly.

I have to question.....why? What is the reason that you seem to want to discredit the Bible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 04:58 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I have to question.....why? What is the reason that you seem to want to discredit the Bible?
He is NOT trying to discredit the Bible . . . he is trying divide the scriptures properly and is relying on his own reasoning power and research. He wouldn't have to do it if you and others here did not demand the completely silly notion that the Bible is the 100% inerrant word of God that flies in the face of modern scholarship on its creation. He is correctly trying to separate the inspirations from God from the works of the lying pen of the scribes, false teachers, and the myriad political agendas that to went into the "sausage-making" that produced the bible canon. His task would be easier if he just used agape love as his filter . . . as all Christians are supposed to do under the New Covenant and the guidance of the Comforter.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:12 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
He is NOT trying to discredit the Bible . . . he is trying divide the scriptures properly and is relying on his own reasoning power and research. He wouldn't have to do it if you and others here did not demand the completely silly notion that the Bible is the 100% inerrant word of God that flies in the face of modern scholarship on its creation. He is correctly trying to separate the inspirations from God from the works of the lying pen of the scribes, false teachers, and the myriad political agendas that to went into the "sausage-making" that produced the bible canon. His task would be easier if he just used agape love as his filter . . . as all Christians are supposed to do under the New Covenant and the guidance of the Comforter.
Thank you, Mystic, in all sincerity. I couldn't have said it better.

To augment, I see this philosophy of "inerrancy" being carried to the point of ridiculous dogmatism so that it's common for anyone who questions the Bible to be labeled a heretic and branded a "spawn of satan". Not so much around here because mods put certain controls on that sort of thing, but on other Christian websites certainly if you so much as breathe a word against the holiness of the Bible.

Like it or not, we are moving into a new era of information and scholarship at the tip of your fingers where it will be commonplace to point out errors in the Bible that can be uncovered in a matter of seconds. These questions have to be asked so that the Church leaders who have tried to stifle knowledge of these errors for so many centuries are finally called on the carpet to answer to them. Responses that are more charges of heresy than coherent explanations will not be tolerated by the community at large. If they aren't we will see more of what we are already seeing---hemorrhaging of membership among young people who are choosing to simply turn and walk away from organized religion of all stripes.

Just 400 years ago, a blink, I would have been burned for asking such a question as did Mark plagiarize Esther.

Let me add that I don't actually buy the notion that "even to half my kingdom" was a common expression back in those days. After all, how many kings to begin with had kingdoms to give away half of? I still think Mark borrowed from Esther to spice up his account. Plagiarized is probably too strong a word; "borrow" sounds more polite, but it's essentially the same thing. I just find it too great a coincidence. The question is "did Mark really need to use a word-for-word lift out of the OT scriptures?" Doesn't that hurt somewhat the credibility of his account in the eyes of scholars and laypersons? Anyone who did that today would be put on trial for intellectual theft.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:20 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Quote:
Exactly - tried to rep you, but have to spread it around first.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:22 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Exactly - tried to rep you, but have to spread it around first.
Me 2.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:37 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
How does one apply these "agape love filters"? Is it like a pair of glasses I can look through?

Old 07-10-2014, 05:53 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How does one apply these "agape love filters"? Is it like a pair of glasses I can look through?
You simply have to know and experience agape love by following Christ's instructions to His disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when you don't. It may take you some practice . . . but eventually it will get easier. Then when you read a verse that purports to be from God or Jesus . . . you test the Spirit of it against agape love in your heart under the guidance of the Comforter. If it is NOT compatible with agape love . . . it is NOT from God or Jesus. Depending on how easily you recognize and relate to agape love . . . it can be much easier than blind acceptance of the preposterous claim that the Bible is the 100% inerrant word of God. Dealing with all those contradictions, excuses, and rationalizations for why something obviously evil and unloving is supposed to be good can tax even our marvelous human creativity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity