U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 01:12 PM

11,763 posts, read 11,698,261 times

Advertisements

Note the exactitudes:

Book of Esther:

Quote:
And on the second day, as they were drinking wine after the feast, the king again said to Esther, "What is your wish, Queen Esther? It shall be granted you. And what is your request? Even to the half of my kingdom, it shall be fulfilled." Esther 7:2
Gospel of Mark:

Quote:
And when the daughter of the said Herodias came in, and danced, and pleased Herod and them that sat with him, the king said unto the damsel, "Ask me for whatever you wish, and I will grant it."
And he vowed to her, "Whatever you ask me, I will give you, even half of my kingdom." Mark 6:22-23
Note that not only does Herod repeat verbatim what King Ahasuerus says to Esther, "...even to the half of my kingdom", BUT, and here's the kicker, both kings repeat the promise twice: "Ask what you will and I will grant it. Ask anything and it will be given to you, even to half of my kingdom."

I mean now come on!!!

This is stolen from the Old Testament pure and simple. Mark obviously knew the story of Esther and Ahasuerus and he copies it detail for detail because it fit so well into his account of how Herod had John the Baptist killed: a drunken Herod promising Salome half his kingdom if she will dance and Salome making a request of the king afterward just as Esther did.

These are the kinds of minute details hardly any Christians know about. When taken together, they shoot the Bible's credibility to pieces, and Christians either tuck their heads conveniently in the sand and carry on as if nothing is amiss, or they begin to research more of these Bible stories, find holes in them big enough to sail a ship through, and eventually leave Christianity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 01:47 PM

4,220 posts, read 2,144,035 times
Just as we have sayings these days so did other cultures as well. Who are we to say this saying was not widely used by the nobles of their day. Some people will use anything to discredit the bible and say all of it is bunk. Some is but not all.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 PM

18,181 posts, read 11,383,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Note the exactitudes:

Book of Esther:

Gospel of Mark:

Note that not only does Herod repeat verbatim what King Ahasuerus says to Esther, "...even to the half of my kingdom", BUT, and here's the kicker, both kings repeat the promise twice: "Ask what you will and I will grant it. Ask anything and it will be given to you, even to half of my kingdom."

I mean now come on!!!

This is stolen from the Old Testament pure and simple. Mark obviously knew the story of Esther and Ahasuerus and he copies it detail for detail because it fit so well into his account of how Herod had John the Baptist killed: a drunken Herod promising Salome half his kingdom if she will dance and Salome making a request of the king afterward just as Esther did.

These are the kinds of minute details hardly any Christians know about. When taken together, they shoot the Bible's credibility to pieces, and Christians either tuck their heads conveniently in the sand and carry on as if nothing is amiss, or they begin to research more of these Bible stories, find holes in them big enough to sail a ship through, and eventually leave Christianity.
First God can't plarigize Himself. It is all His word.

Next the expression re-rulkership/kingdom is common, so not unlikely that Mark would use it.

Basically a meaningless attack by those who do not believe and are desperately looking for anything to denigrate the bible. Says more about them than Mark.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:27 PM

23,150 posts, read 17,451,639 times
Quote:
Note the exactitudes:

Book of Esther:

Gospel of Mark:

I mean now come on!!!

Mark 6:22 and when the daughter of Herodias herself came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his dinner guests; and the king said to the girl, "Ask me for whatever you want and I will give it to you." 23] And he swore to her, "Whatever you ask of me, I will give it to you; up to half of my kingdom."

Esther 7:2 And the king said to Esther on the second day also as they drank their wine at the banquet, "What is your petition, Queen Esther? It shall be granted you. And what is your request? Even to half of the kingdom it shall be done."

1 Kings 13:8 But the man of God said to the king, "If you were to give me half your house I would not go with you, nor would I eat bread or drink water in this place.

The words ''up to half my kingdom'' may have been a kind of proverbial way of expressing openhanded generosity and were not to be taken literally. [Expositors Bible Commentary, vol. 8, p.670]

Herod simply used a proverbial saying which expressed generosity. See 1 Kings 13:8. No credibility issues.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:31 PM

5,026 posts, read 5,700,388 times
It's an expression. Try again.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:33 PM

19,943 posts, read 14,026,496 times
No. That's what Herod said.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:39 PM

5,178 posts, read 3,994,757 times
Sigh

Old 07-10-2014, 03:31 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,169,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
It's an expression. Try again.
Exactly, called hyperbole or a figure of speech. It's discussed is many commentaries and of course all cross-references.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:42 PM

11,763 posts, read 11,698,261 times
All right, if the consensus is that this was a common expression used over the course of 600-700 years in Israel, then far be it from me to denigrate it. Sounds a trifle suspicious to me, but then there have been very few scholars who have called Mark on it. Let the scholars have the last word, which is that there isn't anything awry going on here. I just call 'em as I see 'em and sometimes I see them wrong.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:03 PM

18,181 posts, read 11,383,871 times
Quote:
All right, if the consensus is that this was a common expression used over the course of 600-700 years in Israel, then far be it from me to denigrate it. Sounds a trifle suspicious to me, but then there have been very few scholars who have called Mark on it. Let the scholars have the last word, which is that there isn't anything awry going on here. I just call 'em as I see 'em and sometimes I see them wrong.
Happens to all of us at one time or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity