Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

I am one of those people who just can't believe that all sins are of equal evilness.

I think murder is much worse than over eating or being a glutton.

I also do not believe that homosexuality is a sin since it is a fact that homosexuality cannot be altered with drugs or repairitive therapy. It is who you are. Also if you are Christian isn't your homosexuality forgiven? So therefore it should be a non-issue in all situations.

Did it say in the bible that eating pork was also a sin?

Is there anywhere in the bible that says that all sins are equal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 03:29 PM

76 posts, read 172,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I am one of those people who just can't believe that all sins are of equal evilness.

I also do not believe that homosexuality is a sin since it is a fact that homosexuality cannot be altered with drugs or repairitive therapy. It is who you are. Also if you are Christian isn't your homosexuality forgiven? So therefore it should be a non-issue in all situations.

All sin is equal. You are assesing the evil of an act based upon the extent to which it displeases man. Murder is worse than lying because if your loved one is murdered it will be extremely dispeasurable to you and you as a human can do nothing to repair it. Yet that is a human perspective not a divine one. God can repair a murder if he wanted to as easily as he can repair the effects of a lie so why should HE see them differently? Both acts are departures from him in his eyes, the are therefore same.

Are you sure that psychotherapy cannot cure homoeroticism?

Also forgiveness comes with repentence, which is a heart felt comittment to renounce the act. Now a person can relapse but if he is sincere (and God knows the heart) he will be forgiven if he asks. A "homosexual" who is struggling with the behavior but recognizes that it is wrong and is attempting to overcome it can certainly be saved in the same way that anyone else in a similar condition can be who is dealing with some other sin.

As for pork, read the epistles of Paul, they cover the subject and many others that have to do with Old Testament Law.

Read the entire chapter of John 3. It states that all men are in the same boat, universally condemned because of sin in general and universally in a condition of separation from God without Christ.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:49 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,523,923 times
Quote:
So am I.

Quote:
It is.

Quote:
I also do not believe that homosexuality is a sin since it is a fact that homosexuality cannot be altered with drugs or repairitive therapy. It is who you are. And if it is a sin it is practically much less evil than telling a white lie. Also if you are Christian isn't your homosexuality forgiven? So therefore it should be a non-issue in all situations.
I am not so sure of your "fact," but being homosexual is not a sin. Homosexual acts are a sin. I'm sorry, but it's just one of those burdens we don't understand. No, I don't think engaging in a homosexual act is less offensive than telling little white lies.

Quote:
The prohibition against eating pork was contained in Mosaic law, which--unless one is Jewish--no longer applies in that Christ fullfilled the law.

Quote:
I don't know of any place in the Bible where it says all sins are equal.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
What was the purpose of Christ dying on the cross then, If I have to repent?

Old 12-18-2007, 08:21 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
God hates sin no matter what it is, however sin on earth comes with price tags.They are not equal in the sense of the consequences that one will pay,depending on the nature of the sin.One will pay a higher price for murder price than someone who stole something.

The only sin God hates the most is the unpardonable sin,where one has turned his back on the Lord and his heart has hardened to where that person has turned to the things of the world and no consideration of heavenly aspirations.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:27 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
Cleatis brings us some good points. I can't see how sins are all equal. How can the sins of someone like Hitler be compared to someone unfaithful in marriage, for instance?

Old 12-19-2007, 03:20 AM

Quote:
What was the purpose of Christ dying on the cross then, If I have to repent?
Christ's death on the cross covered the penalty for sin. Your repentence could not take care of a legal penalty. Your repentence is the acceptance of what he did and a desire to turn from a life of sin to him.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:48 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
It really doesn't matter what we think (but my natural self agrees, some sin seems worse).... sin is rebellion against God. ... but all our sins can be forgiven except blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Think about it this way... you can be "convicted" of sin by man but only the Holy Spirit provides a sense of "conviction". One is about the law and the other is about God.

Last edited by Dave_n_Tenn; 12-19-2007 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: added "the"

Old 12-19-2007, 01:25 PM

174 posts, read 504,906 times
Some sins are worse than others. When the law was given to man there were different penalties for the different sins. So, obviously God recognized the degree of sin. What some confuse is understanding that any and all sin is equally repugnant to the Lord.

God recognizes the severity of different sins and we are told that, although the penalty of sin is death, the purpose of judgment will be to determine culpability. Just as we are told that all who are saved within Christ will be judged towards their degree of reward; those who perish without Christ will judged towards their degree of condemnation.

It may seem difficult to understand a degree of punishment when one is vanquished to hell fire, but sin has spiritual substance, the Bible refers to it as spiritual darkness. Those sentenced to an eternity in hell will receive their share of the sin they've created in this world and spend eternity smothering in its darkness.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Some sins are worse than others. When the law was given to man there were different penalties for the different sins. So, obviously God recognized the degree of sin. What some confuse is understanding that any and all sin is equally repugnant to the Lord.

God recognizes the severity of different sins and we are told that, although the penalty of sin is death, the purpose of judgment will be to determine culpability. Just as we are told that all who are saved within Christ will be judged towards their degree of reward; those who perish without Christ will judged towards their degree of condemnation.

It may seem difficult to understand a degree of punishment when one is vanquished to hell fire, but sin has spiritual substance, the Bible refers to it as spiritual darkness. Those sentenced to an eternity in hell will receive their share of the sin they've created in this world and spend eternity smothering in its darkness.

That was under the old covenant, in the new Covenant all sin has the same penalty. Also in the case of certain Old testament sins you would frequently here God say that a person should be put to death so as to prevent him from "polluting the land". Here the penalty came from a practical spiritual consideration that concerned the welfare of God's covenant people. He could not allow flagrantly wicked men to pollute the people and the land because this would result in the further destruction of the people. This means that certain sins are more "spiritually destructive" but that does not mean that the person who commits one sin is more condemned by God than one who commits another sin. The metaphor I like to use is this one. If a man is on the border between Ny and new jersy and he takes one step into NY he is just as much "inside of new York" as a person who is 20 miles inside. Yet it is going to take one of them a whole lot longer to get out than the other. Sin is the ame way. There are some sins that are more spiritually destructive, more destructive to you, to those around you, and they may be more difficult to "get out of" in many ways. They are "deeper" sins, but once again, this does not result in God condemning this man due to his sin any more than a man who is a sinner in another way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity