Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 02:48 PM

33,228 posts, read 26,434,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The Tanakh is not the OT....
Yes it is. Tanakh is an acronym for the Torah - the first five Books of the Old Testament, the Navi - Prophets (the prophetical Books of the Old Testament), and the Ketuvim - Writings. All these Books make up what we call the Old Testament. Jews don't like the designation - 'Old Testament', but that is how Christians refer to those books. Jews prefer the name Tanakh.

The Tanakh [Full Text] | Jewish Virtual Library
Excerpt:
Though the terms "Bible" and "Old Testament" are commonly used by non-Jews to describe Judaism's scriptures, the appropriate term is "Tanach," which is derived as an acronym from the Hebrew letters of its three components: Torah, Nevi'im and Ketuvim.

Last edited by Michael Way; 07-11-2014 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 05:00 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
HaMoshiach Yeshua...He was Jewish, dude....
and the Bible calls him "Jesus", dude.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
So Mary actually named Him Jesus???....
Can you show me a text that says she named him Yeshua? The text says "Jesus"-- or the Greek variation of it. It doesn't say Yeshua.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Good grief...And you're a Pastor?....
Yes. I teach the Bible. I've seen that you don't seem to have much use for what the text actually says, though.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:06 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Actually, no. The Gospel is not that we should emulate anyone or walk as anyone did. None of us can walk blameless and be without sin. If that's what you're trying to do, you may as well be like the apostle Paul and proclaim that your good works are like filthy menstrual rags.
Quote:
Good grief...And you're a Pastor?....
Tnat attitude is the reason the majority mainstream churches are anti-Christ (anti-love) apostate in these "latter days" as prophesied, Richard. They don't think they need to DO the Father's Will (agape love) on earth as it is in heaven.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:28 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Maybe this will help: How "Yeshua" Became "Jesus" I have heard Jesus referred to as Yeshua before so am surprised that others have not. I agree with the OP. Most Christians I talk with have written off the OT and if you mention the Ten Commandments, they just stammer. My brother and a friend are off the deep end with the end of times and all the signs. I just change the subject.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Tnat attitude is the reason the majority mainstream churches are anti-Christ (anti-love) apostate in these "latter days" as prophesied, Richard. They don't think they need to DO the Father's Will (agape love) on earth as it is in heaven.
I bet you had a blast at Woodstock, didn't you?

Old 07-11-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Maybe this will help: How "Yeshua" Became "Jesus" I have heard Jesus referred to as Yeshua before so am surprised that others have not. I agree with the OP. Most Christians I talk with have written off the OT and if you mention the Ten Commandments, they just stammer. My brother and a friend are off the deep end with the end of times and all the signs. I just change the subject.
I'm very familiar with people calling him "Yeshua". What I am pointing out though, is that you might as well call him "Bob"....because neither name appears in the Bible referring to him.

In my experience, the people I've met that call him "Yeshua" tend to be legalistic people that think we need to observe the Mosaic Law. They fail to realize that Jesus fulfilled it for us, so that we are not obligated to keep it.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:07 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm very familiar with people calling him "Yeshua". What I am pointing out though, is that you might as well call him "Bob"....because neither name appears in the Bible referring to him.

In my experience, the people I've met that call him "Yeshua" tend to be legalistic people that think we need to observe the Mosaic Law. They fail to realize that Jesus fulfilled it for us, so that we are not obligated to keep it.
In my experience people who object tothe use of the Hebrew pronunciation of the name tend to be legalistic and not understand what "fulfillment of the Law" means in practice.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:10 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFormula View Post
..Are misguided.

If you read your Bible's with understanding you'd quickly realize that Yeshua read the OT and spoke from it. because He said himself that he came not to "do away" with the Law, but instead FULFILL the Law.

Fulfill = Complete

Fulfill does not = do away with

So for all you NT Christains that think Yeshua has given you a pass to be Sadistic Heahtens in his name....reality check coming soon.

"You foolish Galatians!"

23 Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian

Matthew 22:36-40 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Read Galatians 3.

We were STUPID (some will be more polite and say "ignorant") so we needed the law to tell us not to be jealous of others, not to murder, not to steal, etc. Then Christ came and showed us the true NATURE of LOVE. Which IS GOD. God is LOVE, the MOST POWERFUL thing in existence. Again, God IS Love.

We are now to GROW in LOVE. Which IS following Christ.

You should NOT now NEED a law that says "Thou shalt not covet..." "Thou shalt not murder..."

LOVE is your teacher.
GOD is love.
God is in YOUR HEART guiding you.

So many miss the whole point of Christ.
So many preachers and so-called "teachers" are leading so many astray and keeping people bound in chains and ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity