Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:05 AM

553 posts, read 595,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFormula View Post
If you're sitting up watching your favorite movie eating bon bons because you might not have a date for Saturday night is not "keeping the Sabbath"
A small correction my friend: the Sabbath begins at sunset on Friday and ends at sunset on Saturday. This is how the Jews reconned the days: Since the day obviously ended at sunset then that is when the next day began. Thus the sixth day ended at sunset on Friday and the Sabbath began. The Sabbath ended at sunset on Saturday and that is when the first day of the next week began. There is a scripture that says the Sabbath is to be kept from sunset to sunset, but a little research will show you that that is how the Jews reconned all of their days and beginning the Sabbath at sunset on Friday is the universal practice among Jews today.

Our practice of beginning the day at midnight came from the Romans. A little thought will show you that God clearly could not have had that in mind as not every one would have had an hour glass but everyone could tell when when the sun had set--or at least when it got dark on a cloudy day. Genesis 1 tells us the sun, moon, and stars are ordained by God for us to tell time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
With my current work schedule I work 13 hour days from Thursday - Saturday and in most cases I work Sundays for Overtime, since my wife does not work, it is all on me. Does that mean that I don't consider myself a good Christian, because I do.
So your employer is more powerful than God?

Old 07-13-2014, 11:56 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,601 times
Quote:
"Remember the Sabbath, to keep it Holy" - 10 commandments

You seem to hate GOD's commandments. why?
No. I hate your adding to them.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Let me guess, you must be a Seventh Day Adventist Christian? They keep a strict Saturday sabbath and teach others what they may eat. I sometimes serendipitously "keep it" since I often do not go out between Friday and Sunday.
The Seventh-day Adventists merely have the largest number of members attending church on Saturday. There are quite a few smaller denominations that also meet on that day. However, the fastest-growing "group" are individual independent congregations that are springing up everywhere. Many of these are small--a dozen or fewer members, but there were only 23 Seventh-day Adventists when they began and 3,000 twenty years later.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:58 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Ding ding ding. Wins best post of the day on the Christianity forum.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:57 AM

550 posts, read 516,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
"Remember the Sabbath, to keep it Holy"

Ten Commandments - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^^Please tell me where I added anything, sir.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Don't you think this:

EXODUS CHAPTER 20

would have been a better link to have offered?

Old 07-14-2014, 09:14 AM

This past Sabbath was great!

I slept in til about 11am, read some chapters from Hebrews, John and Matthew, fasted all day, went back to sleep.

good times.

I am fully recharged to take on the Demons of this world again for another week.

Praise The Most High!

Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,601 times
Quote:

The way I read your posts to name a couple: Watching a movie on the Sabbath, eating bob bons on the Sabbath, having a date on the Sabbath. I think there are a couple of others as well. It appears to me that were you a Jew, you would be a Pharisee. Worse yet, you might even hold with that Sharia Law the radical Muslims advocate. Lighten up.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
This past Sabbath was great!

I slept in til about 11am, read some chapters from Hebrews, John and Matthew, fasted all day, went back to sleep.

good times.

I am fully recharged to take on the Demons of this world again for another week.

Praise The Most High!

No movie watching and bon bon eating here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity