U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:49 PM

25,085 posts, read 8,844,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
If you want to be christian you have to follow christian teaching that there is only one path to God and only One name anyone can be save by.

your beliefs are more base on new age. New age is basic just taking alot of stuff from ever religions and trying to bunch it all up into one ball.

do you believe Jesus is the only way to God? that no other avatar etc... whatever you believe in will lead to God?
I totally agree with u. Right now the children of GOD and the children of this world are all growing up together, but the day will come when the sheep will be seperated from the goats. Jesus is the only "Good Shepard" who has layed his life down for the sheep. HIS sheep know HIS voice and a stranger they will not follow.
travelinfella: if Jesus is just one...then u truly don't know the voice of the "Good Shepard" and r not his...but there is still time and hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 12:58 AM

887 posts, read 2,899,290 times
Quote:
Come on folks, lay it on the table. Why are you a Christian?
Because I could feel a "tug" on my heart during the Invitation. When it happened the first time, I didn't go because I didn't understand what it was. The tug was on my heart, specifically, no other organ. Not palpitations or anything like that, more like a yearning. When the invitation was over, the "tugging" stopped. I thought, "What was that all about?"

When the "tug" happened again at another Invitational, I knew I was being called, and I went.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:13 PM

61 posts, read 107,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I like what u said: "Jesus is unexpected..." Matrix may want to check out a book by Josh McDowell 'A Defensible Faith' or he has another that I think is titled 'Evidence' I am sure if u google him u will find a list of books by him. His initial purpose for researching the Bible was to prove Christianity wrong, but his quest lead him to salvation.
Another excellent book along the same lines is "The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence" by Lee Strobel

Here's a quote from books.google.com, "If you were a journalist, how would you handle a news story so big it would utterly eclipse all other world events? How thorough would your investigation be? How many hard-hitting questions would you ask? How carefully would you consult with top experts to get detailed, accurate answers? Lee Strobel knows firsthand. It was as an award-winning reporter for the Chicago Tribune and an avowed atheist that he first investigated the greatest news story of all -- the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Now, in The Case for Christ, he presents compelling evidence and expert testimony for the claims of Christianity. As a seasoned journalist with a Yale law background, Strobel systematically tracks down his leads and asks the blunt, tough questions you would want to ask -- questions that can make or break the Christian faith. He refuses contrived, simplistic answers..."

It's a good read!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:25 PM

61 posts, read 107,358 times
God the Father drew me ever so patiently - and I mean patiently - to his son Jesus Christ. Anyone else would have given up on me many years before I ever came to Christ. But not my Father. He had to take me through many trials and tribulations. But His mercies are new every morning. By his wonderful grace he slowly and consistently drew me and brought me to faith in his one and only begotten son who is Lord of lords, King of kings, and my Saviour. It was at the foot of the Cross of Christ that I received my salvation. Hallelujah, praise the name of Jesus! Praise his holy name!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:12 PM

3,540 posts, read 4,279,860 times
I was a prodigal son, and when I decided to go back home, I was met more than halfway with open and loving arms.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:30 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,249,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
If you want to be christian you have to follow christian teaching that there is only one path to God and only One name anyone can be save by.

your beliefs are more base on new age. New age is basic just taking alot of stuff from ever religions and trying to bunch it all up into one ball.

do you believe Jesus is the only way to God? that no other avatar etc... whatever you believe in will lead to God?
I totally agree with that. If you are basing your spiritual belief in anything or anyone but Jesus then you are on the wrong path. I would also add to matrix that basing your belief on how somebody lives can be dangerous even if they are christians. There are plenty of false religions out there in which the people live a peaceful,humble,happy,serving life. A lot of times that is how people get deceived. People who are wandering or hurt can think because these people are so selfless they must have it right. I know people who are not chrsitians and some of them live a more righteous life than I do by all appearances. We shouldn`t base our belief on emotions but on Jesus and his word. Your fleshly emotions can deceive you! There are people in the church who jump up and down wave their arms,fall over backwards,have fits of laughter and everything else. They think they are having a religous experience from God. They think God`s Spirit is indwelling them. We should keep our eyes on Jesus and his word not on emotions! Remember satan can be transformed as an angel of light.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:19 AM

13 posts, read 21,459 times
Well, I always believe there was a God, but that was the extent of it. I was not raised in a christian home or had anyone in my life that was any part of the christian life!
Then one day I was shown the reality of life . I saw I needed this God! I saw I was on a road of destruction and in order to get off that road I needed to come to the Father through Jesus Christ His Son (John 3:16) .
I saw how I lived most of my life blinded by sin deception walking independent, ruler of my life. Until I asked Jesus to forgive me for that life of sin that I was living and to come into my heart .
I have not regretted the day I made that decision to get off the throne and let Jesus be that ruler of my life!
I guess you could say I'm co-dependent in Christ Jesus now!!
A good place to be! I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Am glad He is faithful to keep me there. Because without Him I can do nothing!!!
God Bless!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 AM

479 posts, read 756,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
Come on folks, lay it on the table. Why are you a Christian?

I'll start. I'm not a Christian because of the evidence, or because of some irrefutable argument (though I think there is plenty of evidence and argument that support it). I'm not a Christian because I was raised in a Christian home (even though I was). I'm not a Christian because God spoke to me (though in many ways I think he has). It is because of the Christians I have known, and the example they lived. I saw the way they lived their lives, and it was absolutely beautiful, and years later I still feel the impact.

I know that some people are not Christians because of the way they have seen Christians act. I can't speak to that. I can only speak to my own experience -- I feel privileged to have known some people, and to have seen how they lived. Selflessly. Courageously. With real happiness.

In my late teens/early twenties I became an agnostic. There were some really good philosophical arguments against belief, and none that proved God's existence, or showed that life had meaning. But I thought about it. A lot. In the end I started to think that neither philosophy nor science (no "rational" approach) could really ever settle my doubt--there was no argument or piece of evidence that I couldn't find a reason to doubt, if I really wanted to. The same could be said for arguments and evidence against Christianity--and the same applied to any other position. Theism started to make the most sense to me. I started to think about faith as not something primarily built on belief, but on commitment to live a certain way. Overcoming doubt was not, for me, a purely rational undertaking, but involved starting with uncertainty, and moving into action and commitment. And this opened the door to faith.
Interesting question. Originally, In my younger years - I think the answer would have been "Because I grew up in a Christian home." However, as I've grown older - I have to say that the solid teachings that the Word has given me, as well as my Love for it - are the main reasons as to why I continue in the faith. It gives me hope and Love. Without it, I'd find very little reason or will to go on living within this world.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:34 AM

3,434 posts, read 6,698,866 times
Why? good question, when i was young my parents and grandparents were Christians and we were in church everytime the doors were opened and by the time i was 18 I hated it! I hated the rules and I hated "dressing up' on Sunday morning, I can still remember sitting in church with a hangover from sat night. For several years I didnt go to church or have anything to do with God.
But I had this inner feeling of being lost, I couldnt feel the void I had in my soul, until one day I didnt have too, Jesus did, and I realized that being a christian wasnt about man made rules, suits and ties, its about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, its about having an inner peace when the world all around you falls down, its about a blessed asssurance that I have a life after this one where i will spend eternity with my creator. It about knowing that I dont have to "have it all together" or "get it right" I dont have to be right or fight my battles..God does it for me, and never leaves me nor forsakes me..even though so many time I deserved for him too.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:56 AM

13 posts, read 21,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Why? good question, when i was young my parents and grandparents were Christians and we were in church everytime the doors were opened and by the time i was 18 I hated it! I hated the rules and I hated "dressing up' on Sunday morning, I can still remember sitting in church with a hangover from sat night. For several years I didnt go to church or have anything to do with God.
But I had this inner feeling of being lost, I couldnt feel the void I had in my soul, until one day I didnt have too, Jesus did, and I realized that being a christian wasnt about man made rules, suits and ties, its about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, its about having an inner peace when the world all around you falls down, its about a blessed asssurance that I have a life after this one where i will spend eternity with my creator. It about knowing that I dont have to "have it all together" or "get it right" I dont have to be right or fight my battles..God does it for me, and never leaves me nor forsakes me..even though so many time I deserved for him too.

Very nice testimony! Our God is faithful.... He knows the hearts and He knew that one day the word and hope that was planted in your heart long ago would one day bring Him praise and glory! Even when you sat there with a hang over.... He was doing the work . LOL! Isn't He wonderful....
I've been there and done that one !
But He says, For if our heart condemn us, God is greater then our heart, and knows all things (1John 3:20). I'm so thankful He does!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity