Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:04 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Where does truth come in?
Since God is truth (John 7:28; 1 John 5:6), what He reveals in His Word is truth (2 Tim. 2:15).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 08:46 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The scriptures they are talking about are those that testify of Christ. Now that we have Christ who abides with us as the LIVING Word of God . . . we don't need the words "written in ink" because we have the words God has "written in our hearts and minds" in agape love. The Comforter will guide us to the truth no matter what the issue in this modern age. You do realize that the issues we deal with in this modern age could not possibly have been covered back then, right??? That is why we have the Comforter and what is in our hearts to help resolve the issues . . . not the words "written in ink" so long ago.
All Scripture is in view. It is all the Word of God. Aside from a sense of conscience, the only thing that is written in the heart of believers today is the content of Bible doctrine transferred from the Bible into the soul of the believer. That believers are in need of teachers is obvious from Hebrews 5:11- 6:3.

I've told you before that while the New Covenant was made possible by the cross, the New Covenant is to Israel. Not to the church. God has made no covenant with the church. The New Covenant will not go into effect until Christ returns and establishes His Millennial kingdom. At that time the following characteristic of the New Covenant will go into effect.
Jeremiah 31: 33 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days (after the Tribulation), declares the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 34] And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the LORD. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”
This is certainly not the case today. While the church does benefit from the blessing clause in the New Covenant, just as all nations benefit from the blessing clause in the Abrahamic covenant even though the Abrahamic covenant was made with Israel, God has not written His law on the heart of all men today. It is a future reality. And it is a misuse of Scripture to take that out of context just as it is a misuse of Scripture to take 1 John 2:27 out of context and claim that no one need be taught just because the specific believers that John was writing to did not need any teaching to guard them against the false teachers they were being warned about since they had already been taught by John and were relatively spiritually mature in contrast with the believers to whom the writer of Hebrews wrote (Hebrews 5:11- 6:3).

The Holy Spirit does not guide any believer apart from the content of Bible doctrine resident in the soul of the believer. That does not mean that the believer needs to have specific word for word instructions for each and every varied circumstance in life.
Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
The believer can only renew his mind, his thinking, by the intake of the Word of God, prayer, and Christian fellowship. These are the things with which the Holy Spirit works in the life of the believer. Relying on your conscience alone is foolish and can easily lead you astray.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Since God is truth (John 7:28; 1 John 5:6), what He reveals in His Word is truth (2 Tim. 2:15).
Had a hunch you'd go there.

Rotsa ruck.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:13 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You know that I do, DRob . . . it is those who think the Bible is the 100% inerrant word of God who err. We are to TEST the Spirit of every verse against agape love and the "mind of Christ" (Comforter). If it is not compatible with the Spirit of agape love . . . who IS God . . . it is not the word of God or Jesus.
The bold above... who told you that?

Old 07-27-2014, 12:30 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
In that case, I wonder just how many of the true Christians will end up having never even worn the label "Christian" at all?

My guess is, probably a substantial amount of people.

"Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and take you in, or naked and clothe you? Or when did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?' And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.' "
I would venture to say, that it's more than guess work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity