Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 01:32 PM

1,867 posts, read 1,524,002 times

Advertisements

If we say cross boasting only we in trouble----John 3:5.

If we say blood boasting only we in trouble----Hebrews 4.

If we say being obedient to the 10 commandments only we in trouble---1 Timothy 6.

If we say living out the 2 greatest commandments only we in trouble----Matthews 5:17-20.

If we leave out and mock 1 Peter 3:3 we in trouble---Matthew 5:17-20.

If we leave out and mock Proverbs 20:1 we in trouble----John 8:31.

If we leave out and mock Romans 7:2-3 we in trouble----John 5:39.

If we leave out and mock 2 Timothy 3:16 we in trouble----Matthew 4:4.

If we leave out and mock 1 Cor. 7 we in trouble----Luke 4:4.

If we leave out and mock 1 Peter 4:1-4 we in trouble----Matthew 5:17-20.

If we leave out and mock 1 Cor. 11 we in trouble----John 8:31.

If we leave out and mock 2 Peter 1:20-21 we in trouble----John 5:39.

If we leave out and mock 1 Timothy 2:9-14 we in trouble----Matthew 4:4.

If we leave out and mock 1 Timothy 5:8 we in trouble-----Luke 4:4.

If we leave out and mock 1 Timothy 5:9 we in trouble----Romans 10:2-3.

If we leave out and mock 1 Cor. 14 we in trouble----Matthew 5:17-20.

If we leave out and mock Romans 6:1 we in trouble----John 8:31.

If we leave out and mock Ephesians 5:22-23 we in trouble---John 5:39.

If we leave out and mock 2 Cor. 6 we in trouble----Matthew 4:4.

If we leave out and mock Matthew 15:14 we in trouble---Luke 4:4.

If we leave out and mock James 5:20 we in trouble---Matthew 5:17-20.

If we leave out and mock 1 Thess. 5:12 we in trouble----John 8:31.

Time to attract 100% bible believers together and form the body of Christ
right the first time----Ephesians 4:5 and Amos 3:3 and Psalms 133:1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 02:55 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Default What Are Christians Really Doing To Be Born Again ?

They are maturing their Spirits, TonyX3 . . . so that when they die their Spirit will be mature enough to be "born again" as Spirit and leave this physical body and world (spiritual womb) behind.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:57 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
One thing, and one thing only is a requirement to be born again or regenerated, and that one thing is to simply believe in the Lord Jesus Christ in response to the gospel message. While works are a part of the believer's life following having been born again, those works have absolutely nothing to do with becoming born again and entering into an eternal, saving family relationship with God.

To be born again, simply put your trust in Jesus Christ who did ALL the work that was necessary to make eternal salvation possible for mankind, and a reality for those who believe in Him.

When Jesus was talking about working for the food that endures to eternal life, He was asked what those works (plural) of God were. He replied that the only work (singular) of God was to believe in Him.
John 6:27 "Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal." 28] Therefore they said to Him, "What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?" 29] Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent."
The apostle Paul states that we are saved by grace through faith, and NOT by works, that no man may boast.
Titus 3:5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, 6] whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7] so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9] not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10] For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
While it is plainly seen that the believer should produce good works, it is just as plainly seen that we are saved not by works, but by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone. Both grace and faith are set in contradistinction to works.
Romans 11:6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.
Since eternal life is freely given by grace and received through faith in Christ Jesus, both of which exclude works, then eternal life cannot be earned by any works of righteousness on our part.

To be born again or regenerated, it is faith alone in Christ alone. Not faith plus works, or anything else added to faith. If you have believed that Jesus Christ died for you personally (died for your sins), and was resurrected, therefore placing your trust in Him, then you have been born again and are eternally secure.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
2 Timothy 1:8-11
Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given to us in Christ Jesus before the time of the ages, but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought LIFE and IMMORTALITY to light through the gospel.

You have aionios life now, and throughout the ages:

Titus 2:11-12
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts; we should live soberly, righteously, and godly - in this present age.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:26 PM

987 posts, read 1,118,387 times
what effort did YOU do to be born the first time?

Old 07-25-2014, 05:44 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
what effort did YOU do to be born the first time?
Exactly, and neither did we make a decision or choice to be born.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 AM

987 posts, read 1,118,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Exactly, and neither did we make a decision or choice to be born.
Exactly. kind of like if you believe Scarlet O'Hara told Margaret Mitchell to create her.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:40 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Why does a Christian need to be "born again"?

Seems to me that if you need to be born again, you are not a Christian.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:50 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
To be born again, simply put your trust in Jesus Christ who did ALL the work that was necessary to make eternal salvation possible for mankind, and a reality for those who believe in Him.
Say what? If one is a faithful Christian, why does one need be born again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
While it is plainly seen that the believer should produce good works, it is just as plainly seen that we are saved not by works, but by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone. Both grace and faith are set in contradistinction to works.
So Matthew 25:30whatever is not literally true? Because Jesus makes it quite clear that the failure to do good works is grounds for aionios kolasan, no matter how you translate that.

i And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’
* j Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
k For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,
a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’
* Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’
He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’
l And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

You and I disagree as to what aionios kolasan means, but whatever it means, Jesus Himself declares that good works are necessary to salvation. His words, no one else's. I remain speechless at those who go all over the bible seeking ways to discredit the specific words of Jesus Himself.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:00 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Say what? If one is a faithful Christian, why does one need be born again?

So Matthew 25:30whatever is not literally true? Because Jesus makes it quite clear that the failure to do good works is grounds for aionios kolasan, no matter how you translate that.

i And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’
* j Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
k For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,
a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’
* Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’
He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’
l And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

You and I disagree as to what aionios kolasan means, but whatever it means, Jesus Himself declares that good works are necessary to salvation. His words, no one else's. I remain speechless at those who go all over the bible seeking ways to discredit the specific words of Jesus Himself.
Could you please clarify your post? Do you mean good works are needed to earn salvation or that good work are produced because we have salvation?

Also, I don't understand your comment about not needing to be born again if you're a faithful Christian. Do you believe people are faithful Christians at birth? The comment doesn't make sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity