Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:03 PM

1,220 posts, read 986,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Littlewitness
1.) The claim (in bold) is a false criteria. It is simply your personal basis for attempting to establish the identity of ''the disciple whom Jesus loved.'' When he believed that Christ had been resurrected has no bearing on the identity of the 'disciple whom Jesus loved'.

2.) Mark 16:9-20 is probably not the original ending of Mark's Gospel account.

Richard
3.) It has already been established that Lazarus is not the person being referred to in John 13:23 regarding the disciple whom Jesus loved, who was reclining on Jesus' bosom at the Last Supper. But I will go over it once, and only once more.

Matthew 26:20 says that Jesus was reclining at the table with the twelve disciples.
Matthew 26:20 Now when evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the twelve disciples.
Twelve means twelve. It does not mean thirteen, or fifteen, or twenty . . . twelve means twelve. There were twelve disciples reclining at the table with Jesus. The twelve disciples are the twelve disciples who had been with Jesus all through His ministry. Those twelve disciples are Simon (Peter); Andrew; James and John who were the sons of Zebedee; Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James the son of Alphaeus; Thaddaeus; Simon the Zealot, and Judas Iscariot.

Those were the twelve disciples who were reclining at the table with Jesus.

We are told in John 13:23 that one of those twelve disciples who were reclining at the table with Jesus was reclining on the bosom of Jesus, and it is stated that Jesus loved him.
John 13:23 There was reclining on Jesus' bosom one of His disciples, whom Jesus loved.
There were only twelve disciples at the table with Jesus. The names of the twelve have been given. It was one of that group of twelve who was reclining on the bosom of Jesus. It was therefore NOT Lazarus. And therefore Lazarus is not the one being referred in John 13:23 as the 'disciple whom Jesus loved.'

Both of you, and whoever else. I have spent as much time on this as I intend to. If you don't believe that the apostle John is the author of the Gospel of John, then you don't. I have better things to do with my time then to spend it arguing with people who have no intention of being objective. And for the record I believe it was the apostle John who wrote it. I really don't care what anyone thinks about it. The authorship of John's Gospel wasn't even the intended topic of the thread. The only reason it came up was because Littlewitness decided to make a stink about the fact that I said it was the apostle John in the title.

Now that's it. I am not going to take up anymore of my time on the authorship of John. Believe whatever the blazes you want to believe.
Now herein is a curious thing...on the one hand you'll post threads presenting, whoever you really are, as having a form of Godliness, while on the other, denying the power thereof.
Whomever has eyes to see, then understand why Jesus beloved disciple put his hand with pen and ink to paper in the first place...
"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name." (John) 20:31 KJV
Apart from belief in Christ resurrected, Jesus beloved disciple would have had no good reason to testify thereby, much less whereby to write.

Moderator cut: deleted

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:"
Matthew 6:1-3 KJV

Last edited by june 7th; 08-01-2014 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Deleted at member's request who did not make this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity