Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 08:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I hate to be a wet blanket at what appears to be a nice love-in...but....

I only wish I could believe it. In my heart, I don't.

But since I'm not a Christian, my beliefs don't matter!

So, carry on with the group hugging.
Awww, you're included in the group hug!!

And no offense my friend, but you don't have to believe in God for him to believe in you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 09:51 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
GOD IS LOVE.

Close thread.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:18 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
"The man who keeps my word is the man who loves me and my Father will love him and we will come and dwell within him."

Old 07-28-2014, 11:04 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times

Where's that "Live-In" festival?
Sign me, UP!

"Nothing compares to cold sheets on a hot summer night."

Old 07-28-2014, 11:13 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You aren't a wet blanket for not believing something you don't. (You're not a wet blanket, period. )

So, do you think that our capacity to love in any way mirrors the Force that brought us into existence? If not, where does the capacity for love come from, in your opinion?
Thanks for drying out my blankie.

I think our capacity for love comes from family - from caring for our young, our siblings, our parents and extended family. It's obvious very many members of the animal kingdom (whom I believe to be our relatives) exhibit this same caring/love. It's essential for the very survival of most species, especially the social ones, to look after one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Awww, you're included in the group hug!!

And no offense my friend, but you don't have to believe in God for him to believe in you
Thanks, lM.

And I do believe in a God but s/he/it bears no resemblance to the biblical version. Thanks for the kind thought, though.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:57 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
No. Any higher power or gods out there aren't involved in us personally. It's a neat psychological trick though and does seem to make people happy.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:01 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
I hate to be a wet blanket at what appears to be a nice love-in...but....

I only wish I could believe it. In my heart, I don't.

But since I'm not a Christian, my beliefs don't matter!

So, carry on with the group hugging.

Trout, you don't have to be Christian or any other denomination for your belief's to matter.
You are who you are and you do matter and those of us who are familiar with you on this forum think you, your beliefs and your perspective matter a lot.
It gives us a different direction to think about and consider.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:24 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
I think our capacity for love comes from family - from caring for our young, our siblings, our parents and extended family. It's obvious very many members of the animal kingdom (whom I believe to be our relatives) exhibit this same caring/love. It's essential for the very survival of most species, especially the social ones, to look after one another.
I agree that other animals have the capacity for caring/love. But since, like us, they come from the Source, I don't think of that as an argument against the idea that the reason we have developed the ability to love is because in some way we have the capacity to mirror that Source.

Just my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Trout, you don't have to be Christian or any other denomination for your belief's to matter.
You are who you are and you do matter and those of us who are familiar with you on this forum think you, your beliefs and your perspective matter a lot.
It gives us a different direction to think about and consider.

Of course, I'm not a Christian either, so what do I know?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post

Do you believe God could or would ever stop loving us?
I could not and would not ever stop loving a child of mine - I nay not be pleased with something they do but that would not change how much I love them. I find it very hard to believe I am more capable of selfless love than God. So, no, I don't believe we will ever stop being loved.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:51 AM

939 posts, read 795,547 times
I am overwhelmed by His Love! No matter how disobediant I've been, His Love for me never changes. He allows me to suffer consequenses, but even then- He is merciful, and works good out of bad. He has changed my life because of His Love and Faithfulness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity