Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis has become the first pope to visit a Pentecostal church, pressing his outreach to evangelicals who represent Catholicism's greatest competition for Christian souls around the globe.

Francis flew by helicopter Monday to visit the under-construction Evangelical Church of Reconciliation in the southern city of Caserta. He met privately with Pentecostal preacher Giovanni Traettino, an old friend.

Papal first: Francis visits Pentecostal church
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 09:36 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
I am loving Pope Francis more every day. What a genuine example of a Christian.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
It's going to be fun watching the spin that the catholic apologists are going to have to put on the stuff he's doing in the next few years. He's going completely against what RCC teaching and doctrine is.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:18 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What a genuine example of a Christian.
Yes, he walks the walk.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:21 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Know thy enemy. Poaching souls is truly a genuine Christian practice.

(that said, though I am not a Catholic, I like this pope. he seems to have a genuine humanitarian drive)

Old 07-30-2014, 10:38 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Frankie's causing ripples. Hope he and I are both still around when they become waves.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
It's all part of the ecumenical movement. Has the Pope renounced the heresies of the Council of Trent?

Nope.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:22 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,244,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
It's all part of the ecumenical movement. Has the Pope renounced the heresies of the Council of Trent?

Nope.
amen, and many other beliefs, that is contrary to the word of God. It's good to have unity, based on truth.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:23 PM

867 posts, read 909,348 times
Ever since I've been alive the church has always been ecumenical. I remember as a kid the Holy Sister teaching us in catechism encouraged us to go to an ecumenical event the church was holding during the week. The funny part is I did not know what the term, "ecumenical," meant so my dad, a friend and I went. Going into it I genuinely believed it was some kind of special Catholic Mass, like some kind of celebration.

What it turned out to be was a guy in a suit, using the altar as a stage, trying to prove some kind of point with some kid asked to extend his hands out as if he were crucified, and ending with the idea that we all line up and he would put his hands on our head and we were supposed to feel his power and fall. I remember when it came to the hand thing I thought, "I'll just humor the man," and so I fell down. My dad is funny because the guy put his hand on his head, my dad didn't respond, and he literally shoved him into the grown not brutally or violently but assertively.

On the ride home I was still confused. I asked my friend, were those Catholics? And she indicated no an ecumenical is when we allow other denominations to teach in our churches.

As for the Council of Trent, well, I think Pope Benedict was a concession to that and that didn't work out so well. However, I am a huge fan of Pope Francis. However, ultimately I am grateful to have been born during the time of Pope John Paul. I will always say the happiest day of my life was when I was in Rome and had direct contact with the great Pope John Paul.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:27 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Know thy enemy. Poaching souls is truly a genuine Christian practice.

(that said, though I am not a Catholic, I like this pope. he seems to have a genuine humanitarian drive)
He has extended open arms to the Word of Faith movement. Kenneth Copeland recently played a video of him calling for unity between the RCC and Word of Faith believers. For the next several decades, RCC apologists are going to be trying to do damage control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity