Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:46 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,266,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Actually Paul was sent to the Gentiles so he, moreso than Peter, would be the leader of the church
Paul is great too, but he did not walk with jesus on Earth. Furthermore, Jesus selected Peter.

Quote:
John 21:15-17New International Version (NIV)

Jesus Reinstates Peter
15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”

“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”

16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”

17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.

Quote:
Man screwed up those verses and made it focus on man, not on God, as he did with focus on Mary and the dead saints, and sacraments and all that other jazz that the catholic church uses instead of focusing directly on God.

All religion is man made dude. The Bible is man made too.

Quote:
So while I do accept that all the Bible verses are correct, it is the interpretation by PEOPLE that are wrong, but its the PEOPLE that have the problem, not the Bible verses.
Sure, Protestants choose and pick verses like everyone else and they cleverly extract whatever meaning they want to hear.

Religion is religion and in religion everything goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Believer View Post
I understand that Jesus is talking to Peter in that passage. I don't see Jesus talking to the "bishop of Rome" nor to your current pope. I also do not see Jesus calling anyone the "vicar of Christ". You are failing to provide the evidence that connects your church and it's leader to the verses you mention. That's all I am saying. I don't see the connection. I am not convinced. Maybe in your religion "anything goes" but not so for those in Christ Jesus.
Do you see a connection between George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, John F, Kennedy, and Barrack Obama?

There is your answer!

Do you understand the verse?

Quote:
Matthew 16:19New International Version (NIV)

19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[a] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[b] loosed in heaven.”

Jesus is naming Peter his agent on Earth. Do you get these words? whatever you bind on earth will bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

This is quite clear!! This is how the early Christians saw it.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
You asked what was it's source. Do you think man is the source of your bible? If it's not God then it's worthless.
I have news for you. The Bible was written by men. God did not write the Bible. Do you know how many Gospels were written after Jesus departed? There were a lot of Gospels circulating and it was the Catholic Church the one that decided which Gospels were to be included in the NT.

The NT did not write itself and the books that did not belong to the NT did not go away on their own. It was the Catholic Church doing the work. DO not forget:

Quote:
Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
Your church does not have this authority and that is why Francis is the Vicar of Christ and leader of Christendom.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Go to wikipedia and type in Jesus Christ in the search box.

I don't think I have to do homework. Not to mention that what you ask for is off topic for this thread.
I also googled Pope and this is what wikipedia had to say:

Quote:
The Pope (Latin: papa; from Greek: πάππας pappas,[1] a child's word for father)[2] is the Bishop of Rome and the leader of the worldwide Catholic Church.[3] The importance of the Roman bishop is largely derived from his role as the traditional successor to Saint Peter, to whom Jesus gave the keys of Heaven and the powers of "binding and loosing," naming him as the "rock" upon which the church would be built.
But, as I said: Your people left our church to form thousands of different sects (40,000 and counting) and you are not obligated to accept this. Nevertheless, the Catholic Church accepts all of you as Christians and "c"atholics because your origins are in the Mother Church.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:07 PM

145 posts, read 115,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I also googled Pope and this is what wikipedia had to say:

But, as I said: Your people left our church to form thousands of different sects (40,000 and counting) and you are not obligated to accept this. Nevertheless, the Catholic Church accepts all of you as Christians and "c"atholics because your origins are in the Mother Church.
My "people" were never a part of your church and have not formed any sects. But you are correct that all the sects are from your church. Your church is the mother of all the sects.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:17 PM

889 posts, read 818,726 times
Quote:
You asked what was it's source. Do you think man is the source of your bible? If it's not God then it's worthless.
A book written by and a book inspired by are two different things. My point is all that you know that is Truth, Sacred Scripture and the deposit of faith was brought to you by none other than the Catholic Church. Without them, you would know of none of this.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
My "people" were never a part of your church and have not formed any sects. But you are correct that all the sects are from your church. Your church is the mother of all the sects.
Are you a Christian Jew?

Old 08-03-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I have news for you. The Bible was written by men. God did not write the Bible.
I have news for you! I never said God wrote the bible. Please read post before you respond to them!

Quote:
Do you know how many Gospels were written after Jesus departed? There were a lot of Gospels circulating and it was the Catholic Church the one that decided which Gospels were to be included in the NT.
How could a church that did not exist do that? The cannon was settled long before the Roman govenment funded your church.

Quote:
The NT did not write itself and the books that did not belong to the NT did not go away on their own. It was the Catholic Church doing the work. DO not forget:
Once again you don't know your history.

Quote:
Your church does not have this authority and that is why Francis is the Vicar of Christ and leader of Christendom.
My "church" has the authority of Jesus Christ unlike your church so we don't bow to your evil empire of satan. (nothing personal)

(I love militant papist, they are so much fun to play with)

Old 08-03-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Are you a Christian Jew?
So you do know there was a church that Jesus started prior to your roman government church! Thanks for acknowledging that.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
A book written by and a book inspired by are two different things. My point is all that you know that is Truth, Sacred Scripture and the deposit of faith was brought to you by none other than the Catholic Church. Without them, you would know of none of this.
I don't believe you are correct. Sorry. The bible was established long before rome established your church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity