U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:30 PM

9,877 posts, read 6,747,934 times

Advertisements

In latest interview, Pope Francis reveals top 10 secrets to happiness

Quote:
1. "Live and let live." Everyone should be guided by this principle, he said, which has a similar expression in Rome with the saying, "Move forward and let others do the same."

2. "Be giving of yourself to others." People need to be open and generous toward others, he said, because "if you withdraw into yourself, you run the risk of becoming egocentric. And stagnant water becomes putrid."

3. "Proceed calmly" in life.

4. "A healthy sense of leisure." The pleasures of art, literature and playing together with children have been lost, he said.

"Consumerism has brought us anxiety" and stress, causing people to lose a "healthy culture of leisure." Their time is "swallowed up" so people can't share it with anyone.

5. Sundays should be holidays. Workers should have Sundays off because "Sunday is for family," he said.

6. Find innovative ways to create dignified jobs for young people.

7. Respect and take care of nature.

8. Stop being negative. "Needing to talk badly about others indicates low self-esteem. That means, 'I feel so low that instead of picking myself up I have to cut others down,'" the pope said. "Letting go of negative things quickly is healthy."

9. Don't proselytize; respect others' beliefs.

10. Work for peace.

Did not mentioned religion once!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 12:34 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,690,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

I think that was covered in #9. Which I agree with.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:15 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,643,840 times
Quote:

Didn't mention Christ, either. That's a shame. You call him the leader of Christ's church...but he seems to think we find our happiness in things of the world.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:34 PM

25,872 posts, read 13,445,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Didn't mention Christ, either. That's a shame. You call him the leader of Christ's church...but he seems to think we find our happiness in things of the world.
Yes, he's a realist. "The world" is all we have now and it serves as something of a proving ground. How we treat others and the planet is what matters.

Nothing else is under our control.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:46 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,690,959 times
Quote:
Did you read #8?

Old 07-31-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
You missed no. 9:

Quote:
9. Don't proselytize; respect others' beliefs.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Did you read #8?
Ha, ha!

Old 07-31-2014, 04:02 PM

153 posts, read 111,598 times
Quote:

He did not mention God, or quote Jesus ,not once ,because he is not a Christian.

As a an ex -catholic who found Jesus of the gospels, and people who love to discuss Him ( my lord and saviour) which I could not do there in that Church ,I am not surprised.The people of this Church are but
followers of men ,and those who are not, should get out .

Old 07-31-2014, 04:12 PM

9,984 posts, read 6,771,963 times
It was a lighthearted article in an Argentinian magazine.
I cannot find the magazine online.

has more in-depth on this than is quoted in above posts.

9. Don't proselytize; respect others' beliefs. "We can inspire others through witness so that one grows together in communicating. But the worst thing of all is religious proselytism, which paralyzes: 'I am talking with you in order to persuade you,' No. Each person dialogues, starting with his and her own identity. The church grows by attraction, not proselytizing," the pope said.

he has said this before. He wants souls to be drawn to the Church by the work
of the Holy Spirit. Not intellectual arguments.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomTooth 359 View Post
He did not mention God, or quote Jesus ,not once ,because he is not a Christian.
Hard core Protestants do not think Catholics are Christian, I have heard that one before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or