Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was His death planned, and what was its purpose?
Gos planned it as a settlement for our sins, so that those who believe would have everlasting life 67 67.00%
Not planned by God, but His death still serves as an example and it "restores the community" 2 2.00%
Planned by God in order to release the Holy Spirit to men 5 5.00%
Jesus did not die for our sins, He was murdered 26 26.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 05:59 PM

76,949 posts, read 47,272,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
True. Even your poll agrees.
Yes, it does. Interestingly the people who promoted the alternate views have not voted for their own beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, it does. Interestingly the people who promoted the alternate views have not voted for their own beliefs.
That is because i do not agree with any of them, and i am probably not alone on that.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:02 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,306,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Savior from what?
As I see it, from sin (not from God being angry at me about my sin), which is anything that is not in harmony with the God who is love; and from death (existing with a mindset that I am separated from God, or that God is angry with me, or that I need to do something or believe certain doctrines in order for God to love me, or any other mindset that destroys).

Old 08-07-2014, 06:02 PM

14,696 posts, read 17,026,769 times
Quote:

Not sure who your post is directed towards, but this is not true for me,
personally. I simply don't believe that I need to be saved FROM GOD (penal
subsitution theory of atonement), but rather that God IS my savior.
Pleroo, we are being saved out of sin and death. Jesus died to set us free from sin and death. Do you believe this? Yes, God is our Savior. The scriptures tell us that. He sent Jesus, His Son, to die for our sins. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 08-07-2014 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-07-2014, 06:03 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,656,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
And what are we taught that is of most importance?

"What does the apostle Paul, yes the apostle Paul, teach us is most important?

1 Cor. 15

"15 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast [a]the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.
3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6 After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; 7 then He appeared to [c]James, then to all the apostles; 8 and last of all, as [d]to one untimely born, He appeared to me also. "

We are not the Christ.

Jesus is our Savior and our Lord and He died to set us free from the captivity to sin and death. Yes, we die and we are dead until the Lord raises us, according to what the scriptures teach. God bless.
Keep preaching, sister. My religion is quite liberal, I do believe there are plenty of manmade errors in the Bible that we have, and I believe unbelievers will go to everlasting punishment. About those things we probably disagree.

But about the blood sacrifice of Jesus, THE CARDINAL precept of all truly Christian faith, you and I are in total agreement. The kickback you are receiving is from the "lets make God in the image we want Him to be," as opposed to acceptance of the God that has revealed Himself historically to be One who sees sin eradicated only with the greatest of sacrifice.

There are many concepts or doctrines that various groups have tried to hold out as "unmovable" precepts of faith. Among those often included are:
1. The virgin birth
2. The miracles of Jesus
3. The Trinity, and
4. Original sin
5. The Bible as the inspired, inerrant Word of God

I care not what anyone thinks about those five. It is only these final three that make any significant difference.

a) Repentance for our sin before almighty God,
b) Christ suffering and dying on the Cross as redemption for us from our sins, and
c) the Resurrected Lord teaching us how to walk as He walked and do as He did.

Those three are the determining factors about faith in Christ as Savior and whether or not someone has been adopted into the family of God.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:05 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,306,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe you could discuss it on that thread, as opposed to trying to import it here. Just an idea
If you didn't want me to respond to the question, then you shouldn't have asked it. Just an idea.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:07 PM

It isn't about God being angry at us. Sin is said to be "missing the mark", lawlessness, offense, a wrongdoing. We have done wrong and that is what separates us from God- our sins, Pleroo. The wages of sin is death, physical death, the death of the soul, and spiritual death.

It isn't just a mindset.

When we die, we really die.

The soul that sins dies (OT). But Jesus came to undo this, to free us from the captivity to sin and one day He will abolish death. (1 Cor. 15) If there is no resurrection, then we remain dead, literally dead. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 08-07-2014 at 06:15 PM..

Old 08-07-2014, 06:09 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Saved from missing the mark and from fear of death, death as no power when you do not fear it.

And free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:09 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,832,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Under the theory of Recapitulation it is the Incarnation, the entire life lived by Jesus, culminating in his obedience at the cross, that represent the salvific work of Jesus our Lord.
I seriously like this statement.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:10 PM

Thank you for sharing, Wardendresden. I am not preaching , just trying to share what the scriptures teach on this subject, as have many here. God bless you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity