Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was His death planned, and what was its purpose?
Gos planned it as a settlement for our sins, so that those who believe would have everlasting life 67 67.00%
Not planned by God, but His death still serves as an example and it "restores the community" 2 2.00%
Planned by God in order to release the Holy Spirit to men 5 5.00%
Jesus did not die for our sins, He was murdered 26 26.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:50 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
The Holy Spirit confirmed it within my spirit, Pleroo.
Repeating that the Holy Spirit confirmed it doesn't explain how you believe the Holy Spirit confirmed it.

Quote:
It shows the heart of God in the giving of His Son, Jesus Christ for our sins. I know that Jesus died for my sins because I am a new creation in Him and He is working in my life. How about you?
How does that prove to you that everything in the bible is true?

Quote:
And what is that?
I use the brain God gave me, the ability to distinguish between good and evil which God gives us all, and the filters which I have because of my life experiences.

Quote:
Have we strayed from the topic of the thread? Maybe there should be another thread on whether or not we believe all of the scriptures. God bless.
I think you brought the subject up, so it's your call.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:52 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
What does Jesus tell us?

Luke 24

24 Some of those who were with us went to the tomb and found it just exactly as the women also had said; but Him they did not see.” 25 And He said to them, “O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Was it not necessary for the [f]Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?” 27 Then beginning [g]with Moses and [h]with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.”

God bless.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:55 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Once agape love is understood . . . even a small child could go through the bible and select those things that are NOT compatible with agape love, Shana. It is not difficult at all. That so many adults refuse to do so speaks volumes about the power of indoctrination and fear of offending God as explained in the "precepts and doctrines of men."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Unfortunately one must cut huge swaths out of the New Testament (and some of the Old as well) in order to eliminate the idea of Jesus' sacrifice on the Cross BECAUSE God would have required it of sinners instead.
But then some people have no problem with scissors.
Hello, brother. No they would not, Warden. They just need to reinterpret what His sacrifice actually was, to whom it was made and why it was necessary. None of that requires that it be God's demand for appeasement. It is that primitive notion of blood sacrifice as appeasement to God that would be scissored out as barbaric nonsense.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Unfortunately one must cut huge swaths out of the New Testament (and some of the Old as well) in order to eliminate the idea of Jesus' sacrifice on the Cross BECAUSE God would have required it of sinners instead.

But then some people have no problem with scissors.
Or, they do not find it difficult to distinguish between that which is good and right, from that which is not?

Old 08-09-2014, 04:59 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
What does Jesus tell us?

Luke 24

24 Some of those who were with us went to the tomb and found it just exactly as the women also had said; but Him they did not see.” 25 And He said to them, “O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Was it not necessary for the [f]Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?” 27 Then beginning [g]with Moses and [h]with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.”

God bless.

Okay, based on that I would say that the "all that the prophets have spoken" refers to all the things that Jesus apparently thought referred to himself. But, even at that, I'm still trying to get to the core of this ... Why have you chosen to accept that these are really the words of Jesus? Why have you chosen to accept anything at all in the bible?

Old 08-09-2014, 05:00 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
What does Jesus tell us?
Luke 24
God bless.
No one is denying it had to happen, Shana. You seem to conflate the necessity for His crucifixion and death with God's Will instead of His mercy toward our ignorance and barbarity. They involve two very different beliefs about God's motives and love for us.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:03 PM

This is another good reference which shows that Jesus knew what was going to happen and came to fulfill the prophecies about Him.

Matthew 26

47 While He was still speaking, behold, Judas, one of the twelve, came up [l]accompanied by a large crowd with swords and clubs, who came from the chief priests and elders of the people. 48 Now he who was betraying Him gave them a sign, saying, “Whomever I kiss, He is the one; seize Him.” 49 Immediately Judas went to Jesus and said, “Hail, Rabbi!” and kissed Him. 50 And Jesus said to him, “Friend, do what you have come for.” Then they came and laid hands on Jesus and seized Him.
51 And behold, one of those who were with Jesus [m]reached and drew out his sword, and struck the slave of the high priest and [n]cut off his ear. 52 Then Jesus *said to him, “Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword. 53 Or do you think that I cannot appeal to My Father, and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve [o]legions of angels? 54 How then will the Scriptures be fulfilled, which say that it must happen this way?”
55 At that time Jesus said to the crowds, “Have you come out with swords and clubs to arrest Me as you would against a robber? Every day I used to sit in the temple teaching and you did not seize Me. 56 But all this has taken place to fulfill the Scriptures of the prophets.” Then all the disciples left Him and fled.

God bless..

Old 08-09-2014, 05:04 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Regardless of all that has been said in this thread, what good would it do us for God to punish Jesus for our sins? That is just wrong in every way. Everyone knows it is wrong to punish the innocent and let the guilty go free. And I don't believe God would do such a thing. That's why the "Jesus as scapegoat" view of the death and resurrection of Christ is clearly wrong. I'm just amazed at how many people are happy to believe that God punished Jesus so that he would not have to punish us. And yes, I do believe God punishes/corrects everyone. Jesus demonstrated perfect grace by receiving punishment he did not deserve with grace -- as it says in Hebrews his blood speaks of better things than that of Abel's (Abel's blood cried out for revenge or some would say for justice). Jesus was demonstrating how a person who is truly full of God's grace could overcome the desire for vengeance because when a person is truly filled with agape love and grace there is no desire left for vengeance. That is what pure love is - love that does not require anything in return but longs for the other to be made right by seeing the error of his way.
Jesus bore the punishment for our sin because He was the spotless lamb. He is the only one who could fulfill the Law perfectly.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:09 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
I am trying to understand why some of us believe the scriptures were written by barbarians or that the scriptures are only the perceptions of men, but yet they accept parts of the scriptures as truth. God bless.
What i find more alarming is evangelicals believing everything today what they did the first day stepped inside of a church building and accepted everything they heard as being tne truth. Give me a person who steps back and looks at what he believes against tne mind of Christ over a person who says the bible says it i believe it without giving any thought to it any day of the week.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:14 PM

Another good reference is found in Mark 10

32 They were on the road going up to Jerusalem, and Jesus was walking on ahead of them; and they were amazed, and those who followed were fearful. And again He took the twelve aside and began to tell them what was going to happen to Him, 33 saying, “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be [k]delivered to the chief priests and the scribes; and they will condemn Him to death and will [l]hand Him over to the Gentiles. 34 They will mock Him and spit on Him, and scourge Him and kill Him, and three days later He will rise again.”

vs. 44-45
Calling them to Himself, Jesus *said to them, “You know that those who are recognized as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them; and their great men exercise authority over them. 43 But it is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant; 44 and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be slave of all. 45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His [p]life a ransom for many

God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity