U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 03:29 AM

25,084 posts, read 14,274,459 times

Advertisements

I have several devotional books and I read them often. I find them to be a source of comfort and a timely blessing to my life. I meditate on the subject and the scripture. I always get something good that I can apply to my real life circumstances. Word based devotionals are a valuable tool to use in personal Bible Study. How many of u read a daily devotional? I thought it would be nice to have a devotional thread where everyone could have the opportunity to share their favorite devotional and related comments. Talk to me please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Uncondition Acceptance...

I have a little devotional book I have been reading that was published in London in the early 1900s. The devotions were written by 365 Eminent Clergymen of the U.S. Canada and Great Britain. Here's one i'd like to share: "Him that cometh to me, I will in no wise cast out."-John 6:37
"Only one man has ever made this statement. Not the President of the U.S. or the King of England, or the Pope, or any earthly Potentate ever has or can give utterance to these words. None other than GOD HIMSELF could ever lay such a foundation on which a world of penitent sinners, alarmed souls, desponding believers, and rejoicing saints may build their hpes and never be put to shame.
In these few divine words what food for the hungry soul and peace for the aching heart are presented absolutely free and certain to "him that cometh." All men without a single exception have this blessed assurance of acceptance, it they but come. It was Mary Magdalene's experience, it was the experience of the dying penitent thief on the cross and of Saul of Tarsus. It will be yours, just as surely as Christ has promised it. COME! COME TO JESUS NOW!"
by REV. Charles E Keim, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Wow, it is indeed comforting to know that Jesus accepts me and u in totality just the way we are and no matter what we have done. All HE requires of us is that we come and HE will do the rest. The word of GOD says that all those who put their trust in HIM will never be put to shame. I hope u r encouraged. I know I am.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Live In The Moment!!!

Come on people surely someone has some devotional thoughts or encouraging words to share with the Church of CD...This is your opportunity, preach a sermon if u want. This is your platform to minister encouragement. I was reading my devotional and was encouraged by what I read. I hope it encourages u too.
"As thy days, so shall thy strength be,"-Deuteronomy 33:25
"There are times when duties and responsibilities of life overwhelm us. They rise like dark and forbidding mountains before our minds, so that we are moved to say in our despair, "Who is sufficient for these things?" We need to realize that GOD requires us to live only one day at a time, and that HE promises strength sufficient to perform the duties and bear the burdens that each day brings. Our Lord told us not to be anxious for the morrow. Most of the things people worry about concern the future and many of them never materialize. Let us take each day as it comes fresh from the hand of GOD, live life at its highest and best, do the things that seem most improtant and be confident in this blessed assurance-"As thy days, so shall thy strength be." -Rev. Claude O. Dierolf, S.T.D.,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Old 12-30-2007, 11:46 PM

11,918 posts, read 14,137,527 times
Thank you for sharing, Sun queen. God bless.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:14 AM

278 posts, read 833,172 times
This is such a lovely idea! I missed mine today...so I read yours!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:29 AM

13,570 posts, read 21,710,437 times
Default Loving Others

John 15:13 Greater love has no other than this, than to lay down ones life for his friends..

1 John 4:7 Let us love one another, for love is of God..

1 Cor.16:14 Let all that you do be done with love..

Love is an act of will: listening to someone when we are bored, letting someone win an arguement over something unimportant,biting our tongues instead of glorifying our triumphs to everyone.
Love is not waiting to feel good before plunging into these and other unselfish acts ..Love is the decision to behave a certain way even though we feel like Mr. or Mrs Grump

from my devotional book..Joy for the Journey

Old 01-08-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
John 15:13 Greater love has no other than this, than to lay down ones life for his friends..

1 John 4:7 Let us love one another, for love is of God..

1 Cor.16:14 Let all that you do be done with love..

Love is an act of will: listening to someone when we are bored, letting someone win an arguement over something unimportant,biting our tongues instead of glorifying our triumphs to everyone.
Love is not waiting to feel good before plunging into these and other unselfish acts ..Love is the decision to behave a certain way even though we feel like Mr. or Mrs Grump

from my devotional book..Joy for the Journey
Blue I just read this. I love it Thank u

Old 01-08-2008, 10:40 AM

479 posts, read 1,035,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I have several devotional books and I read them often. I find them to be a source of comfort and a timely blessing to my life. I meditate on the subject and the scripture. I always get something good that I can apply to my real life circumstances. Word based devotionals are a valuable tool to use in personal Bible Study. How many of u read a daily devotional? I thought it would be nice to have a devotional thread where everyone could have the opportunity to share their favorite devotional and related comments. Talk to me please...
I used to read Daily Word back in the day(looong time ago when I was in my teens) As of right now I haven't read any yet. Many are informative and uplifting. I might have to see if I can get one. The only thing I would warn is to do independant study as well on some of those verses they quote. Sometimes they can take various verses out of context....

Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 AM

"All things work together for good." -Romans 8:28
"All things! It is as truly of the mercy of God that good fortune shall not harm us as that disaster and sorrow shall not disturb us. The grace of God is as much needed in green pastures as in the desert; as much by the still waters as by the stormy seas.
By this same goodness of God we trust that all the hard and bitter things of life may somehow ripen into sweetness. So if you have a cross, wear it! Wear it proudly and gladly! For any experiene, any test or trial, any sorrow or loss, may be so accepted and used, so altered or adapted, so changed or completed, that by it and through it, our lives may be made richer and better." Rev.J Percival Huget, D.D., Brooklyn New York.
Remember no matter what u r going through or what u must face in Christ we are more...our expectation of good is well founded in HIM. Be encouraged

Old 01-08-2008, 11:04 AM

2,946 posts, read 4,875,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Thanks sun, I too like devotionals. I haven`t read any in a while but perhaps now I will. I think they can be uplifting and helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity