Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 07:39 AM

16,664 posts, read 15,658,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Churches are subsidized by all of us since they do not pay taxes. I think they should either accept taxation, or marry everyone.
This thread was started in reference to a church in the UK. Is your post in reference to churches in the UK? Most US states that legalized SSM via legislation or referendum specifically exempted any clergy from the requirement to perform ceremonies that would conflict with their religious views.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:51 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This thread was started in reference to a church in the UK. Is your post in reference to churches in the UK? Most US states that legalized SSM via legislation or referendum specifically exempted any clergy from the requirement to perform ceremonies that would conflict with their religious views.
I think that's the situation in the Uk too. Same sex marriage is now legal. But a church cannot be legally obliged to conduct same sex marriage. That seems a fair line between respecting gay people's rights and reespecting religious people's rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 08:11 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,186 times
Quote:

Yes, and more.

I understand Churches are considered Charities in the UK and tax exempt. Here they are tax exempt.

IMO Churches should be taxed, here and in the UK.

Regardless of country, churches being subsidized by the government should have to marry everyone. After all, that money comes from the LGBTQ community, too.

It becomes even stickier when there is a mandatory church tax collected by the government for the church.

My city would have no homeless, or hungry children if the churches were taxed. We play, count the churches on the road here.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:46 AM

16,664 posts, read 15,658,096 times
I don't know of any case where a minister was REQUIRED to perform ANY wedding. Some of them insist on a pre-marriage counseling session before deciding if he will conduct the ceremony. Some of them only do wedding for members of the congregation. Some only do them for member of their own denomination. They have never been under any obligation to perform weddings. Some do. Some probably don't do any at all. Some charge a fee. Some have to ask their church board if they are going to be using the church building.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:06 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
I believe that one Europeon country, perhaps Denmark that requires its state church but not the other churchs to perform same sex marriage based on it is an extension of the government. I am not sure that pertains to this law suit or not but it does raise the question of are state churches bound by state law (state not State) or should they be treated like non state churches.

I am not offerering an opinion on the matter just stating that there is a question about what religious freedom a state church does nor does not have.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:14 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
There are still some churches who won't marry couples where one is a divorcee. There is clearly no legal requirement that they have to, like it or not. But frankly this is no longer an issue and is regarded as a rather old fashioned and tiny -minded view and in my experience, the couple will find another church.

Same sex marriage is in the same position and the only difference is that people haven't quite gotten used to it, yet. Those trying to turn the clock back are increasingly going to be lone ranters screaming to themselves, because nobody is going to be listening to them.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:25 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
Are you that naive to think for a second that the same thing isn't coming to an American church anytime soon?

Old 11-10-2015, 10:45 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Are you that naive to think for a second that the same thing isn't coming to an American church anytime soon?
When churches are being subsidized by the LGBTQ community, by paying no taxes, does not deserve protection in any country.

I hope it comes here. Churches being subsidized should serve every couple of faith wishing to marry.

A pastor is assigned, and does not own the building. Couples should be able to use the building and bring in someone to perform their ceremony.

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 11-10-2015 at 11:10 AM..

Old 11-10-2015, 11:08 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
"The gays are coming! The gays are coming!"

The paranoia is palpable.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:11 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
When churches are being subsidized by the LGBTQ community, by paying no taxes, does not deserve protection in any country.

I hope it comes here. Churches being subsidized should serve every couple of faith wishing to marry.

A pastor is assigned, and does not own the building. Couples should be able to use the building and bring in someone to perform their ceremony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
"The gays are coming! The gays are coming!"

The paranoia is palpable.
Interesting. One of you makes fun of me for suggesting that it COULD happen here. Another rebukes me for thinking it shouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity