Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 11:38 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2514 View Post
A lot of atheists actually care about people and animals solely because they ARE good people, not with some exterior motive. Madalyn Murray O'hair was the most hated woman in america simply because she removed prayer from public schools. It's not like she outlawed it from the country people!

But the fact is, there are children who have different beliefs and they are entitled to it. If you want your child pray at school so bad, send him/her to private school. Public school is accepting and sensitive to everyone. Besides it isn't the school's job to raise kids.

When she was murdered almost nobody batted an eye. Madalyn was the "devil" yet she never harmed a single thing. We have mothers out there who drown their children because "jesus told me to", but it's worse that you're not required to bring up your child with a certain faith.
Megan please don't compare the worst of people who call themselves a Christian and then use that to compare it as if it is the norm. Both examples are terrible each on their own. Why not find a good example of a christian to compare the Madilyn Murray O'Hare thing to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 02:27 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Again I don't mean all christians. Certain ones. I'm sure there are plenty of bad atheists too. I don't deny that.
Direct, intelligent answers only please.
Because being a Christian (or being an atheist, Muslim, Hindu, etc. etc. )doesn't immunize you from being a jerk.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:58 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Because being a Christian (or being an atheist, Muslim, Hindu, etc. etc. )doesn't immunize you from being a jerk.

Exactly. People come in all types and all types can be found in all groups.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:57 PM

105 posts, read 110,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Megan please don't compare the worst of people who call themselves a Christian and then use that to compare it as if it is the norm. Both examples are terrible each on their own. Why not find a good example of a christian to compare the Madilyn Murray O'Hare thing to?
I wasn't using the example to speak everyone, I was saying that people hated her more than actual murderers, for some reason.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:13 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,254 times
Quote:
My question is, why don't certain christians respect people's basic rights? I think it's great that you believe in what you believe , but there is no proof either way, so why not just let others have theirs too?
This is a good question Megan, and one that gets asked a lot, especially in today's society that puts such an emphasis on 'tolerance' and 'respect' of all beliefs.

Now, while I cannot possibly know the hearts of the folks who spoke with you, if they truly believe what they believe, you should be offended if they didn't speak to you. If they truly believe in their heart-of-hearts that you were heading to a horrible destination and could instead go to a utopian heaven and they had the information to save you from such a fate, wouldn't you be upset if they decided you weren't worth sharing this information with? I know I certainly would.

But they did, as all Christians should, not because they are told or commanded to, but because they love you, just as God loves you, and even I love you! It is because of that love that I would share with you the love of God and the amazing sacrifice that Jesus experienced just for you.

Now, that being said, they did it in the wrong way. This much is quite obvious to even a non-Christian because they attempted to make you clean on the outside before the inside even made a choice to believe in Jesus! You are correct that Christians are not supposed to judge those who are not Christians. The first thing they should have done was to make you feel loved, not judged and they did a very poor job of that and I apologize on their behalf.

So back to your original question, I don't think your rights were violated in any way. You were free to walk away and reject the beliefs they shared with you. Having the freedom to choose what we want to believe is a basic right, not silencing the public expression of a variety of beliefs. Now if they had handcuffed you and refused to release you until you 'converted', that would be a different story, obviously.

I hear a whole spectrum of beliefs and opinions every day of my life. Some of them I reject straight away, others I choose to think critically about, and others align with my life views and I accept them. However, no one is forcing me to accept any of them. It is ultimately my choice, as it is your choice. This is the freedom we all enjoy together.

I am sorry that these people chose not to share and reflect the amazing love of God to you, because it is absolutely awesome and life-changing and I hope that one day you will witness it.

Take care,

JJ

Old 08-15-2014, 04:31 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,242,854 times
Quote:
I'm not one to generalize, but last week I encountered 2 people who give your religion a bad name.
I am not feminine. I wear comfortable clothes because I have the right to. I got off the bus ehrn a couple stopped me. Thry. The man said that he used to "cross dress too but the lord changed my heart". All while the woman in a floor length skirt is standing there silently. I of course laughed and went on my merry way.
My question is, why don't certain christians respect people's basic rights? I think it's great that you believe in what you believe , but there is no proof either way, so why not just let others have theirs too?
I'm not going to argue with you about religion, and I'm not going o discuss my personal beliefs in detail. Hence personal.I accept you, so what's wrong with me being me?
You can't expect the whole world to agree with you,and because people don't , it doesn't make them evil. 900 years ago christians got murdered for their beliefs and now I am ostrasized for mine.
You always say how it's your duty to save people. Well doesn't thie count as judging? Ironically this is the first "sin" people forget...and I'm going to burn for wearing a graphic t shirt and shorts.
Do you understand that THESE things have the opposite effect, and that if you're going to live in a free country, people have rights?
Again I don't mean all christians. Certain ones. I'm sure there are plenty of bad atheists too. I don't deny that.
Direct, intelligent answers only please.
Addressing the OP only, you said it out of your own mouth, "because I have the right to". no one can deny you your rights, be they Christian or not. nor I. My only concern for you is your soul. for the earthly things will pass away. listen, Matthew 6:16 "Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 17 But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; 18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly. 19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

I hope you take this the way it is intended.

be blessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity