Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I was raised in and belong to an Independent Fundamental Baptist church and I was wondering if anybody else has had experience with this denomination, if anybody has left this denomination, and where they went afterward?

If you don't know much about IFB churches, I will explain them. They are an extreme right-wing Baptist denomination that split from the other Baptist churches because they percieved them to becoming too worldy. Our beliefs are similar to regular Baptists, just with extreme legalism and conservatism. The extent of legalism varies among IFB churches, but a few of the traits commonly seen among all are:

-Only the Authorized King James Version of the Bible is the inspired word of God
-Forbidding of indulgence in popular culture i.e. music, movies, dancing, etc
-Strict dress codes for men and women; no shorts for men and women must wear a dress when seen in public
-A woman must submit to her husband under all circumstances; she is forbidden to work
-Forbidding the visitation of movie theaters
-Discourge friends and relationships between members and those outside the church body
-The belief that ALL forms of alcohol consumption is sinful, and that when wine is used in the new testament its referring to grape juice
-The belief in a literal interpretation of Genesis; God created the universe in 6 days 6,000 years ago and any other interpretation is heresy
-Strict rejection of science and technology
-Sex outside of marriage, adultry, and homosexuality are strictly forbidden and are punishable by hell
-Strict allegiance to the pastor
-Rejection of a secular education; many churches have their own school at the church for K-12 and smaller churches without schools generally have a large amount of parents who homeschool
-Some IFB churches are very politically active, requiring their members to support a candidate based on their stance on abortion and homosexuality
-Countless other things that vary from church to church.

Over the past year I've really questioned this doctrine. I was taught growing up to accept it on faith and to question it was a path to hell. I am getting ready to relocate and want to find a more mainline or progressive church, but how do I transition between the extreme doctrine I've known my whole life and a church that accepts things that would be hell-damning by IFB doctrine?

O.k. I see the date of this post so I hope you will read this and that you have peace in your life after an FBC. First, no I was not "raised" in this. I was a member in this faith for at least 5 years. What is very interesting is this faith very much resembles Jehovah's Witnesses. I was raised a JW. Everything you listed is exactly the way it is also in the FBC in Dunnellon, Florida[mod]delete[/mod] What was very hard was to leave because the Pastor,[mod]delete[/mod] really preached so many things from the Bible that I ultimately believe and still believe. All the things you listed is ultimately WHAT MUCH OF THE CONGREGATION believed and went by which is why I left. The judgemental attitude of many of the long term members was way off as in their self righteousness was extreme. Gossip was rampant in this congregation as well. I knew of too much abuse that men were subjecting their wives to and it was all too much for me since I know ultimately Jesus would not accept much of that congregations behavior. I was heavily judged and many "kept away" from me due to my being a single mom, which was confirmed to me verbally when I finally had the nerve to confront someone on this. So.....to date I am very happy spiritually. I not have found the complete church yet.....

Take care

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-27-2012 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: Deleted the pastors name and church
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,183 times
I was rased a Catholic and we don not have those stupid rules They can't tell people what to do if they try to tell I can't go to the movies they will have a fight on their hands

Old 07-24-2012, 06:01 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
I just got to give an updated testimony of the great IFB church I currently attend. All the Pastor is doing is preaching from the Word, but people want to hear what they want to hear. So I've sadly seen families leave. He is doing nothing wrong, and he is continuing to preach the unadulterated Word of God. The congregation is struggling financially as we've seen people leave, but the whole family is looking at it as an opportunity to grow stronger in the faith. What a beautiful blessing it is to be a part of it.

So what if the Pastor says that wives are to submit themselves to their husbands? All he did was read from the Word of God. It also says men are to love their wives as Christ loves the church. Christ gave his life for the Church! Maybe we Christians need to find some backbone and digest the Word even if it stings a bit instead of running off to pay someone to tell us what we want to hear.

One thing is for sure, when the iron gets hot in this country and persecution comes down like a ton of Bricks, these folks will be prepared and will not be turning their back on Jesus Christ.

I can't say that for many "Churches" out there.

Christianity is not about a list of dos and don'ts and I don't get that from this congregation at all. I do get the concept that a right heart with God will lead to repentance which results in a "change of mind/heart". Christians that love God know how much he hates evil and do not want to displease him. There's not a feeling of people being "judgmental" looking down upon others, but a group of folks that understand that we all deserve damnation but are saved only by God's Grace and want to reach out to the lost.

What a beautiful experience, and I'm very thankful God put me in good hands.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:51 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
I attended one with my husband for about a year. It was the last church I ever subjected myself to - one of the worst. But it served a good purpose in my life.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,596 times
Default I don't think that I can call myself a Baptist anymore!

I was taken to church maybe a handful of times growing up, but after I was placed in foster care as a teen I went to church with my foster family every Sunday morning and night services and Wednesday night services as well. I don't remember much about the church I went to when I was small but I do remember that it was of Baptist faith. However the church that I went to with my foster family was and is an IFB church. That church has some of the same basics that have been talked about on here but I never seen anything to the extent that some are talking about in other IFB churches. I have not been to church in a long time because there are things that I do not agree with in the IFB. The things that I do not agree with are enough that I don't know if I can call myself a baptist. I believe in the basics of what I was taught in Sunday school and in Sunday, Wednesday services. That God loves us all and sent his son to die for me. I believe that he (God) and he alone is who I am accountable to. That once saved always saved. And I have been saved and baptised. But there are some things that I don't agree with. I.E. I don't believe (and this is not something that I was taught in Sunday school or in Sunday, or Wednesday services but witnessed happen in front of me at the IFB church that I went to)A young girl had sex before marriage and ended up with child. That young woman had to stand before the whole church and ask for the churches forgiveness. I believe that God is my judge, and that on judgement day I will have to stand before God and be accountable for my sins and my sins alone. So why would that young girl have to stand before the church and ask for their forgiveness??? It was at that time that I really started to question weather or not I belong in a baptist church. Another issue that I have with the IFB and again I was not taught this at the church that I went to but I have read about while researching the IFB. That IFB believe that different races while having the same faith go to their races church. So if someone is of two or more different races where should they go??? I don't look at anyone's skin color. I believe God loves us all, we were all created after him. We all bleed the same, we breath the same and all of us come into this world when we are born and we all leave this world when we die. There are a couple of other issues that I do not agree with in the IFB. Some of the baptist churches have been going to the burial site of fallen soldiers and protesting. This is something that I have a hard time forming words to respond to. Protesting at a fallen soldiers grave site while the family mourns the loss of a loved one who gave their life for this country???? And from what I understand this started about the time that the military got rid of their "don't ask don't tell" rule. I come from a long line of soldiers and I am married to a veteran. The first time I heard about baptist churches protesting at fallen soldiers graves sites was when my husband was in Afg. I can not and will not support the protesting of or at anyone's grave weather they are in the military and/or homosexual. Is it now the baptist churches belief that you protest someones life while their loved ones still stand mourning at the grave site? Is it now the baptist churches belief that because someone is unloveable because they are homosexual? That their families are not to mourn their loss in peace? Well it is not my belief. Again I go back to..... God is my judge not the church!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:08 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I was raised in and belong to an Independent Fundamental Baptist church and I was wondering if anybody else has had experience with this denomination, if anybody has left this denomination, and where they went afterward?

If you don't know much about IFB churches, I will explain them. They are an extreme right-wing Baptist denomination that split from the other Baptist churches because they percieved them to becoming too worldy. Our beliefs are similar to regular Baptists, just with extreme legalism and conservatism. The extent of legalism varies among IFB churches, but a few of the traits commonly seen among all are:

-Only the Authorized King James Version of the Bible is the inspired word of God
-Forbidding of indulgence in popular culture i.e. music, movies, dancing, etc
-Strict dress codes for men and women; no shorts for men and women must wear a dress when seen in public
-A woman must submit to her husband under all circumstances; she is forbidden to work
-Forbidding the visitation of movie theaters
-Discourge friends and relationships between members and those outside the church body
-The belief that ALL forms of alcohol consumption is sinful, and that when wine is used in the new testament its referring to grape juice
-The belief in a literal interpretation of Genesis; God created the universe in 6 days 6,000 years ago and any other interpretation is heresy
-Strict rejection of science and technology
-Sex outside of marriage, adultry, and homosexuality are strictly forbidden and are punishable by hell
-Strict allegiance to the pastor
-Rejection of a secular education; many churches have their own school at the church for K-12 and smaller churches without schools generally have a large amount of parents who homeschool
-Some IFB churches are very politically active, requiring their members to support a candidate based on their stance on abortion and homosexuality
-Countless other things that vary from church to church.

Over the past year I've really questioned this doctrine. I was taught growing up to accept it on faith and to question it was a path to hell. I am getting ready to relocate and want to find a more mainline or progressive church, but how do I transition between the extreme doctrine I've known my whole life and a church that accepts things that would be hell-damning by IFB doctrine?
If this list of dos and don't are true, these Baptists sound like a cult. Strict allegiance to the pastor--REALLY? How about strict allegiance to Jesus Christ, and respect for their pastor who didn't die for our sins?

I am blessed and thankful that the Baptist church I attend isn't teaching that kind of non-sense. Everyone at my church does not read only the KJV or think that only the KJV is the only translation to read. In fact, as shocking as what I am about to say may appear to an Fundamentalist Baptist, only the original Hebrew and Greek versions of the bible are God's authorized word. Any other translation is just a committe or group of so called bible scholars translating the orginal Hebrew and Greek Scriptures into another language, as their opinions guide their translation. I hope you see where I went with this.

Last edited by antredd; 07-27-2012 at 11:16 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,506 times
Default Jesus

Forget about a church. Just have a relationship with the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost/Spirit. That is all you need. Churches are like any other institution. They want money, gossip, lie, deceive etc...

Love God first. Love others second. If everyone would follow these two simple steps what a world we would live in!

Old 10-15-2012, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,482 times
I have (in my own will) gone to an Independent Fundimental Baptist church for the past couple of years, and from what i have seen and felt the kind of church you are describing is wrongfulling representing Independent Fundimental Baptists... all of the people i know who go to my church and other Independent Fundimental Baptist churches around are really happy and loving. the first time i went to my church i felt more at home than i had in years, and nothing has changed! I would encourage you to examine you heart before you make any drastic decisions, and pray that God will show you the place where he wants you to be. I'm sure you have probably heard this all of the time, but sometimes a reason why you are bitter or not comforatable at church is because you might not want to hear the truth. I'm not trying to say that this is true in your case, but i have experienced that myself, and i always find it helpful to pray and keep myself in check. I hope God works this out for you, and i will be praying for you

Old 11-05-2012, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,447 times
LET THE BIBLE BE YOUR ULTIMATE AUTHORITY.
No Matter how high positioned someone is in the church, as long as his dealings are contrary to what God;s word says, it; out rightly wrong and can be criticized.
Jesus Christ is the spiritual leader of all Christians. LEARN TO LOOK UP TO HIM FOR ULTIMATE DIRECTION.
You can help to right the wrong of the perceived canker you seem to find in your church.
am really sad such a thing could happen in a bible-believing church.
But with the code of dressing and separation from the world, i think they can be applauded because they are in line with the teachings of the BIBLE

Last edited by selorm; 11-05-2012 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: change of :BAPTIST: to :BIBLE: in the first line

Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 PM

428 posts, read 330,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selorm View Post
LET THE BIBLE BE YOUR ULTIMATE AUTHORITY.
No Matter how high positioned someone is in the church, as long as his dealings are contrary to what God;s word says, it; out rightly wrong and can be criticized.
Jesus Christ is the spiritual leader of all Christians. LEARN TO LOOK UP TO HIM FOR ULTIMATE DIRECTION.
You can help to right the wrong of the perceived canker you seem to find in your church.
am really sad such a thing could happen in a bible-believing church.
But with the code of dressing and separation from the world, i think they can be applauded because they are in line with the teachings of the BIBLE
No better advice can be given than what you said. That the way God wants us to use His Word and His Church. Anything else is from the enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity