U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:59 PM

336 posts, read 759,019 times

Advertisements

Who is known as a Christian?Does one have to believe certain doctrines or do certain things to be called a Christian?If you're not in a main stream religion,then are you called something else? Does a follower of Jesus qualify for that name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 04:39 PM

The Question Should Be If You Don't Agree With The Trinity(but Jesus Is Your Savior) Are You Considered A Christian?

Old 12-23-2007, 04:46 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,822,712 times
Hi Jana Mania, I believe that God knows a whether a not a person is a true believer. I believe that the most important thing is realizing that Jesus died for your sins and that He is Savior.

Quote:
1 Corinthians 15:1-11
1. Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand,2. by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.3. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,4. and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,5. and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.6. After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep;7. then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles;8. and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also.9. For I am the least of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.10. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me.11. Whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed.

There are many Christians or believers who don't believe in the Trinity and it doesn't concern me whether or not others think that I am a Christian because I don't believe in it I share with them the scriptural reasons why I believe this way and it is up to them as to whether or not they accept this. I don't worry about it. I don't believe that it would be right for me to judge whether or not someone is a Christian either because they do believe in the Trinity. God knows who are His. Like you say, He knows His sheep. Hope that helps. God bless.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:13 PM

Yes, He Knows His Sheep, But Many Are Saying Without The Trinity Will Negate One From Being A Christian. Non-belief On This 1 Issue/teaching Nullifies Them From Being called a Christian. Are there Rules To Holding The Title,"christian"(in This Christian world) ?

Old 12-23-2007, 05:18 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,822,712 times
Jana Mania, how can the belief or nonbelief in the Trinity negate someone from being a Christian? People can't make that call. Now they may not treat the person as if he or she is a Christian but we can't change the way people will respond or react. Many who may be in the "Christian world" and making up rules as to whether or not someone belongs in the "Christian world" may themselves be lost. God bless.

Acts 2
22. "Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know--23. this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death.24. "But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power.25. "For David says of Him, `I SAW THE LORD ALWAYS IN MY PRESENCE;
FOR HE IS AT MY RIGHT HAND, SO THAT I WILL NOT BE SHAKEN.
26. `THEREFORE MY HEART WAS GLAD AND MY TONGUE EXULTED;
MOREOVER MY FLESH ALSO WILL LIVE IN HOPE;
27. BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT ABANDON MY SOUL TO HADES,
NOR ALLOW YOUR HOLY ONE TO UNDERGO DECAY.
28. `YOU HAVE MADE KNOWN TO ME THE WAYS OF LIFE;
YOU WILL MAKE ME FULL OF GLADNESS WITH YOUR PRESENCE.'
29. "Brethren, I may confidently say to you regarding the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.30. "And so, because he was a prophet and knew that GOD HAD SWORN TO HIM WITH AN OATH TO SEAT one OF HIS DESCENDANTS ON HIS THRONE,31. he looked ahead and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that HE WAS NEITHER ABANDONED TO HADES, NOR DID His flesh SUFFER DECAY.32. "This Jesus God raised up again, to which we are all witnesses.33. "Therefore having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this which you both see and hear.34. "For it was not David who ascended into heaven, but he himself says: `THE LORD SAID TO MY LORD,
"SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND,
35. UNTIL I MAKE YOUR ENEMIES A FOOTSTOOL FOR YOUR FEET."' (NAS-capitals from translation)

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-23-2007 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: added scripture

Old 12-23-2007, 05:58 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,774,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANA MANIA View Post
The Question Should Be If You Don't Agree With The Trinity(but Jesus Is Your Savior) Are You Considered A Christian?
Hi Jana,
I believe that if a person trust Jesus as their savior and they believe he is the son of God then that person is a christian. However,christian is just a word we use. Jesus said whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. He didn`t say call on the name of the Lord and you will become a christian.A lot of churches today think that you have to believe exactly as they do in all matters or you are not saved or a christian or whatever. A christian is a follower of Christ. The trinity has nothing to do with it. Jesus didn`t say if you believe in the trinity you shall be saved. The word trinity is a church word. When I hear a person say,they believe in the trinity... What I hear is..I believe in a doctrine that my church espouses... because that`s who teaches it. The normal person on the street would never come up with the word trinity if they were not taught that by someone. I gurantee you everyone in your church who believes in the trinity doctrine believes it because that`s what they were taught by the church. They didn`t come up with that on their own just from reading the bible. An example I gave in another thread was that if a person on a deserted island picked up a bible not knowing anything about Religion and started reading it and God moved in him and he fell down... ask Jesus to save his soul,he would be saved and I don`t think he would know anything about a trinity. Trinity supporters would probably claim that he would know it in his spirit. But I believe he would just know that there was a God who loved him,sent his son to be Savior of the world and he needed God. It would be salvation in the purest form. No church training,no religous doctrine,no legalism,just a wretched man and his God. So to me, Christ crucified and resurrected is what one really needs to know.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:00 PM

25 posts, read 105,877 times
a Christian is someone who fallows Christ and keeps all his commandments and is good enough to be one with Christ. many Christians are not really Christians

Old 12-24-2007, 05:03 PM

12,491 posts, read 13,112,445 times
This is a great question, thank you for the post. I have a strong loving personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I do NOT identify myself as a Christian. I know many people who are told by other people "you're not a real Christian" yet my friends do identify themselves as Christian.

Isn't it something a person gets to self-identify? Isn't it between the person and God, not the person and other people?

Old 12-25-2007, 09:31 AM

364 posts, read 692,633 times
Almost every religion has it debates with each other on what is right and wrong to believe.

I"m an believer in the trinty but I would not judge another salvation base on my own views. That is an sin its making your self bigger then God when you think you can judge due of another view conflicting with yours. Its idol worship I mean your making your self an idol.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:43 PM

21,422 posts, read 29,555,108 times
I am more concerned over what a person believes about Jesus than I am the Trinity (which I do believe in).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity