Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 03:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
As Christians, we are to be submissive to the government.
Lol. Be submissive to a guy like Richard Nixon and his gang of Constitution-shredding thugs? Really?

Interesting belief. I'll pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 05:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Did you read my post? You seem to not have comprehended what I said about why I am repulsed by hearing little children forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance from age 5. It's frankly, rather Nazi like IMO. I don't like this change to the talk of 'Homeland' which started under Bush either -- it reminds me of Hitler's Germany.
yes, I read your post and yes, you have a right to your opinion. I just happen to disagree with you and no I don't see our pledge or requiring kids to learn it as anything near Nazism. Were you older enough to remember what Hitler's Germany was really like or have you visited the old camps?

Old 08-24-2014, 02:43 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes, I read your post and yes, you have a right to your opinion. I just happen to disagree with you and no I don't see our pledge or requiring kids to learn it as anything near Nazism. Were you older enough to remember what Hitler's Germany was really like or have you visited the old camps?
It's not a matter of kind, but of degree. Cabaret has a wonderful scene that starts up with a close up of a young man singing a nostalgic song that quickly turns into a patriotic one as the camera pulls back and you realize that the good looking young man is a brown shirt. Great lessons to be learned.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:50 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Lol. Be submissive to a guy like Richard Nixon and his gang of Constitution-shredding thugs? Really?

I was referring to what Christians ought to do according to God.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:46 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

You had to go back to Nixon to find "Constitution-shredding"? Couldn't find anyone currently in the White House?

Old 08-24-2014, 06:47 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You had to go back to Nixon to find "Constitution-shredding"? Couldn't find anyone currently in the White House?
I can think of one.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:07 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
You are right. In my opinion, if you are a God fearing person, use God, and if you are an atheist then don't use God in the pledge. How's that?
Fine with me. But many of our friends on the right would have a big problem with that. Apparently we are supposed to proclaim allegiance to their religious beliefs whether we genuinely adhere to them or not

Old 10-16-2017, 08:54 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Well, you know, you could take any pledge or song or whatever, and change the words. It's not that hard to do. And you just might find that in doing so, you're not a robot. Sure, I'd rather have the "under God" part in there, but I wouldn't freak out if someone used their freedom to alter it a bit. It's not like God came up with the pledge, and/or made it a commandment to say the pledge and not change any words. Some people get so hopelessly lost and caught up rituals, it's as though the very hand of God came down and created them. I'll continue to keep clear what God has created, and what man has created, and not confuse the two. So many around us are running on autopilot, and finding themselves flying into all kinds of snags and foul territory. Step out of that little box that is your mind and life.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:40 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
you would seriously consider taking part in such an inane procedure as pledging allegiance to a flag?

Old 10-16-2017, 09:47 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
I think it's interesting that the oath of accession into the military is not one of fealty to a flag or to an official or even to the country itself. It's an oath to defend the Constitution, which is a method of government and an ideal...but not the government itself nor the officials nor even the territory. In fact, "....against all enemies, foreign and domestic..." implies even Americans might be enemies of the Constitution. Anyone might get the side-eye.

And in 26 years of service, I can't recall ever reciting the pledge of allegiance. But I did pledge several times to defend the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity