Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 11:56 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times

Advertisements

It always strikes me as odd that so many think they can rationalize or believe/disbelieve heaven or hell, Christ or Satan, or Biblical truth ... out of existence. Even stranger is the tendency to use parts of the Bible to 'disprove' other parts. It's as though some folks believe that ignoring or rejecting these things will somehow ultimately eliminate their own accountability before God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 12:39 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Satan is real. And I would never ask a rabbi for his opinion on anything, nor
should any Christian.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:18 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
If there is no hell then what was Jesus purpose in dying on the cross ?
One has nothing to do with the other.

Jesus atoned for the Original Sin - the offense to God for Adam's sin.

In Jewish thought, there was no afterlife, at least not until Hasmodian times.Then there came a time of purification after death. Now we have unending punishment. The evolution of the doctrine is clear. Yet modern Christians accept what heretic Manichean Augustine preached.

Amazing

Old 09-03-2014, 01:19 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
should any Christian.
I suggest you talk with a Rabbi in your town. You will at the very least get a sense of how things stood long before the time of Jesus.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:25 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It always strikes me as odd that so many think they can rationalize or believe/disbelieve heaven or hell, Christ or Satan, or Biblical truth ... out of existence. Even stranger is the tendency to use parts of the Bible to 'disprove' other parts. It's as though some folks believe that ignoring or rejecting these things will somehow ultimately eliminate their own accountability before God.
Whether one believes in satan or not, the parts I've bolded is the problem with EVERYBODY. It's our number one sin.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:52 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Whether one believes in satan or not, the parts I've bolded is the problem with EVERYBODY. It's our number one sin.

Seems to me the main group of people who want to eliminate their accountability are the ones who teach that believing that Jesus was a substitutionary sacrifice will keep them from being accountable. And the reason they need to believe such a thing is because they have such a warped view of God's justice: that it requires eternal torment as payment for our failures because God is so angry with us.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:57 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleroo View Post
seems to me the main group of people who want to eliminate their accountability are the ones who teach that believing that jesus was a substitutionary sacrifice will keep them from being accountable. And the reason they need to believe such a thing is because they have such a warped view of god's justice: That it requires eternal torment as payment for our failures because god is so angry with us.
huh!!!!!!!

Old 09-03-2014, 02:01 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
huh!!!!!!!
I assume you changed "God" to "god" in my post to make a point but I don't know what it is. How about explaining?

Old 09-03-2014, 02:03 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
One has nothing to do with the other.

Jesus atoned for the Original Sin - the offense to God for Adam's sin.

In Jewish thought, there was no afterlife, at least not until Hasmodian times.Then there came a time of purification after death. Now we have unending punishment. The evolution of the doctrine is clear. Yet modern Christians accept what heretic Manichean Augustine preached.

Amazing
Well I am not Jewish, but Christian, so yes there is an afterlife, as this time on Earth is just a small phase of life, it is our choice as individuals where we spend it , Heaven or hell

Old 09-03-2014, 02:10 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
should any Christian.
Correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity