Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 04:14 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times

Advertisements

No, not for active or regular members. But, if you are not a member of our church and you wish to use it to have a wedding, then I believe the church charges a fee to use it for that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 06:13 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,961,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
No, not for active or regular members. But, if you are not a member of our church and you wish to use it to have a wedding, then I believe the church charges a fee to use it for that day.
Why would any ' house of worship ' charge a fee to anyone ? ______________

The only time Jesus ' passed the plate ', so to speak, was when Jesus fed the hungry crowds.

What the apostles did they did ' free of charge ' - Matthew 10 v 8 B.

Even under the principle of the Constitution of the Mosaic Law it was ' voluntary giving ' and not an asking price.
- Leviticus. 1 v 3; 7 v 16; Exodus 35 vs 21,22,26,29

Old 09-13-2014, 06:51 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Why would any ' house of worship ' charge a fee to anyone ? ______________
The only time Jesus ' passed the plate ', so to speak, was when Jesus fed the hungry crowds.
What the apostles did they did ' free of charge ' - Matthew 10 v 8 B.
Even under the principle of the Constitution of the Mosaic Law it was ' voluntary giving ' and not an asking price.
- Leviticus. 1 v 3; 7 v 16; Exodus 35 vs 21,22,26,29
To recover the cost of electricity, staff, insurance etc. A church can be bleed dry by providing a party venue for people who are only there because they think it will provide a pretty background for pictures.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:02 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,961,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
To recover the cost of electricity, staff, insurance etc. A church can be bleed dry by providing a party venue for people who are only there because they think it will provide a pretty background for pictures.
Yes, I recall one woman joining a church so her daughter would have a pretty background for her wedding pictures.
' Houses of Worship ' are Not supposed to be party venue places.

Please notice I mentioned voluntary offerings [ meaning Not a charged fee ] but certainly an offering to offset that ' hour ' of heat, AC, ins.etc. is nothing wrong with that. Remember the apostles were ' staff ' and they worked for free when it came to handling spiritual matters. They [ apostle/staff ] worked to support themselves. Paul even made tents to support his ministry. Jesus never set up a paid clergy class/ staff, that wrongly developed in Christendom [ so-called Christianity ].

Old 09-14-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
exactly this, the church also need monetary donations to keep the doors open. And the smaller churches with small membership can't compete with the big churches in that regards. MY church only charges a small fee plus someone will have to clean up after the event as well. This isn't something new and I been hearing about this pretty much all my life.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I was curious to find out what other folks charge for extra services. Does your church charge for stuff like weddings, funerals, hospital visits, home visits, counseling, etc?

No but a donation is always appreciated.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Yes, I recall one woman joining a church so her daughter would have a pretty background for her wedding pictures.
' Houses of Worship ' are Not supposed to be party venue places.

Please notice I mentioned voluntary offerings [ meaning Not a charged fee ] but certainly an offering to offset that ' hour ' of heat, AC, ins.etc. is nothing wrong with that. Remember the apostles were ' staff ' and they worked for free when it came to handling spiritual matters. They [ apostle/staff ] worked to support themselves. Paul even made tents to support his ministry. Jesus never set up a paid clergy class/ staff, that wrongly developed in Christendom [ so-called Christianity ].
Ok, the word charge was my saying but I'm pretty sure my pastor use the word offering or donation.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I was curious to find out what other folks charge for extra services. Does your church charge for stuff like weddings, funerals, hospital visits, home visits, counseling, etc?
Weddings, yes. There is a charge for the use of the church facility, and as always at a wedding, a gratuity is paid the officiant. I'm not clear on funerals. For the other stuff, no.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-14-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 12:22 PM

Moderator cut: quoted post has been deleted

True, but my pastor is a she and most likely never touched that little bit of money. The last time the church was used for a wedding, only a 150.00 was donated to the church and that money went to the building lawn care. I'm a trustee at my church and I help count the money every sunday and everything comes into the church is properly accounted for. We only have about 300 active members.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-15-2014 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: quoted post has been deleted

Old 09-14-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Weddings, yes. There is a charge for the use of the church facility, and as always at a wedding, a gratuity is paid the officiant. I'm not clear on funerals. For the other stuff, no.
My church charges for funerals also if you are not a member, about a 100 bucks to cover electricity. The church will have to be open hours ahead of time to properly cool it or heat it. Many area churches does that but I have never heard anywhere charging for hospital visits. My church charges very little for these things and really cheap in my opinion, while other churches in the area charges 4 to 5 times that much or even more. I guess it depends on the size of the church though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity