Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:09 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Read post 17 and see if it helps.
No it doesn't, because as per usual you are not committed to actually saying what you really mean(which is feeling good about being a Christian and being prosperous in your whole being is a false teaching), so there is no point I am missing other than what you are hiding behind.

What do you want the Osteen's to say other than what they are saying ?. Did you know when asked about homosexuality, that Joel said the bible says homosexuality is a sin?, would you like him to come out with more of this kind of stuff to appease you?.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:24 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No it doesn't, because as per usual you are not committed to actually saying what you really mean(which is feeling good about being a Christian and being prosperous in your whole being is a false teaching), so there is no point I am missing other than what you are hiding behind.

What do you want the Osteen's to say other than what they are saying ?. Did you know when asked about homosexuality, that Joel said the bible says homosexuality is a sin?, would you like him to come out with more of this kind of stuff to appease you?.
I hoped post 17 would clarify it for you, but if it did not, then I don't know what would.

Post 17: Does God ask for obedience only because He thinks it would make us happy, or are there other reasons, like the fact that our works might benefit others, or the fact that our works can help others connect with God.

Paul and other apostles were more then happy to serve the Lord, so happy that they gave their lives doing it, but they didn't do it just to feel good aka doing it for themselves like Victoria Osteen says. This is the whole problem with the Osteen message which revolves around the 'feel good' prosperity gospel.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I hoped post 17 would clarify it for you, but if it did not, then I don't know what would.

The question was this: Does God ask for obedience only because He thinks it would make us happy, or are there other reasons, like the fact that our works might benefit others, or the fact that our works can help others connect with God.
Well, what do you think ?. The whole obedient dog thing is not really scriptural you know.

Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

Doing it out of love requires no obedience, in fact it is so natural you do not realize you are doing it.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:58 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What is the point YOU are trying to make , if it is not that the Osteen's major on God desiring us to feel good about ourselves and desiring that we prosper. What do you want them to talk about ?.

The issue is, you have no problem feeling good about yourselves and being prosperous, but because the Osteen's actually say what you want for yourself, you take issue with it.

Anyone who says they do not want to feel good or prosper is lying.
I think it boils down to the fact that some people who come to this forum always come here to find fault with some other Christian or person of other faith. Some people cannot enjoy a conversation that is uplifting and non-divisive. Some people are always here to feed their hunger for strife and division and never come here with the intention of edifying other people or the body of Christ. But be careful that you are not drawn into the vortex of negativity because we all have weakness and the potential to keep arguing with someone beyond that which is necessary.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:39 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
That's the question. Does God ask for obedience only because He thinks it would make us happy, or are there other reasons, like the fact that our works might benefit others, or the fact that our works can help others connect with God.

I think it's all of the above. That's why what she said just seemed a bit...lacking, to me.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:51 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
I think it boils down to the fact that some people who come to this forum always come here to find fault with some other Christian or person of other faith. Some people cannot enjoy a conversation that is uplifting and non-divisive. Some people are always here to feed their hunger for strife and division and never come here with the intention of edifying other people or the body of Christ. But be careful that you are not drawn into the vortex of negativity because we all have weakness and the potential to keep arguing with someone beyond that which is necessary.
That's exactly what you are doing with your post. Discuss the topic, not other posters.

I am looking for opinions to my question below:

Does God ask for obedience only because He thinks it would make us happy, or are there other reasons, like the fact that our works might benefit others, or the fact that our works can help others connect with God?

Old 09-06-2014, 08:10 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
What is your take on Victoria Osteen's (Joel Osteen wife) comments? Should our motivation for serving God be making ourself happy, because happy people makes God happy? She has received some criticism for her comments.

Christians Respond To Victoria Osteen's Claim: 'When We Obey God..We're Doing It For Ourself'

Lakewood Church co-pastor Victoria Osteen received backlash from the Christian community after video footage of an August sermon surfaced showing Osteen encouraging congregants to "do good for your own self."

The pastor, who is married to televangelist Joel Osteen, told the congregation that the key to making God happy is first making oneself happy. Osteen said:

Once the video began making rounds on social media, many in the Christian community took to Twitter and personal blogs to express their dismay at Osteen's comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00-6OyXVA0M
False. But ultimately, it's what she believes, and it's what the Word of Faith movement teaches--that obedience produces blessing. And that blessing is what motivates a lot of people.

Does God bless us because of obedience? I've not seen any Biblical teaching that says he does. Truth be told, none of us are capable of being righteous by our behavior.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:28 AM

Vizio, when you do unto others as you would have them do to you, who are you doing it for ?.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:29 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
False. But ultimately, it's what she believes, and it's what the Word of Faith movement teaches--that obedience produces blessing. And that blessing is what motivates a lot of people.

Does God bless us because of obedience? I've not seen any Biblical teaching that says he does. Truth be told, none of us are capable of being righteous by our behavior.

Or maybe Victoria's point was that the blessing is IN the doing, the caring, the loving -- not that God is going to reward you with material things. It feels good to know you've done something that blesses someone else.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:23 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I think it's all of the above. That's why what she said just seemed a bit...lacking, to me.
Pretty hard to give a full discourse on a subject in 30 seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity