U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2014, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,355 posts, read 12,114,801 times
Reputation: 16598

Advertisements

It seems to be a format.

But, I see people dragging their sleepy families in...the standing for even 40 minutes
baffles me...I swear some people are hungover.

Wouldn't encouraging, inspiring words be better to start with ...then...filled up...
it seems natural people would joyously sing?

I see (feel) people 'singing on empty'.

Saw a famous preacher you know from TV last night, possibly
8000 there, I figure...35 minutes standing, singing, another 30 minutes showing/telling
about all the worldwide help they do...then, finally, over an hour of advice, coaching and
inspiration with many Bible verses referenced, finally.

If I go back... I will slip in an hr late. Just sayin...

Any pastors that can explain why jumping and singing first before there
are inspiring words/sermon?

PS...If I start a church...I will inspire and pump people up first, then, say, "Let's get up
and sing to the Lord, yeah!!! Hallelujah!"

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2014, 09:24 AM
 
32,532 posts, read 30,641,416 times
Reputation: 32347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

PS...If I start a church...I will inspire and pump people up first, then, say, "Let's get up
and sing to the Lord, yeah!!! Hallelujah!"
I'd sit in your church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 09:32 AM
 
5,866 posts, read 5,715,571 times
Reputation: 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It seems to be a format.

But, I see people dragging their sleepy families in...the standing for even 40 minutes
baffles me...I swear some people are hungover.

Wouldn't encouraging, inspiring words be better to start with ...then...filled up...
it seems natural people would joyously sing?

I see (feel) people 'singing on empty'.

Saw a famous preacher you know from TV last night, possibly
8000 there, I figure...35 minutes standing, singing, another 30 minutes showing/telling
about all the worldwide help they do...then, finally, over an hour of advice, coaching and
inspiration with many Bible verses referenced, finally.

If I go back... I will slip in an hr late. Just sayin...

Any pastors that can explain why jumping and singing first before there
are inspiring words/sermon?

PS...If I start a church...I will inspire and pump people up first, then, say, "Let's get up
and sing to the Lord, yeah!!! Hallelujah!"

Thanks in advance
UGH this has been a sore spot for me. OK some of the music is inspiring. Some of it is boring. I the church i went to last, they had some ancient hyms they sang, some were good, some not. One day when i was feeling very not into all this singing stuff, they were going thru EVERY verse, including verse 6 or 7. And by that time with the archaic language, I just realized this song is making NO sense, i just sorta laughed to myself incredulously. i was watching the congregation sing this with no meaning, just rote, like a bunch of robots singing mindlessly. And it was like a dose of reality what i was seeing and hearing. some of the language is archaic and has no meaning for me, yet we were forced to sing.

Also, since i have bad knees, I also do not stand just because they order me to. I am not a sheep. so im a bit rebellious about all that stupidity of being a sheep, for what? what does standing have to do to make this stupid song any more holy? maybe this is why i do not like church. I cant stand these stupid standing for 40 minutes and singing a stupid song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 09:50 AM
 
19,950 posts, read 13,621,024 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It seems to be a format.

But, I see people dragging their sleepy families in...the standing for even 40 minutes
baffles me...I swear some people are hungover.

Wouldn't encouraging, inspiring words be better to start with ...then...filled up...
it seems natural people would joyously sing?

I see (feel) people 'singing on empty'.

Saw a famous preacher you know from TV last night, possibly
8000 there, I figure...35 minutes standing, singing, another 30 minutes showing/telling
about all the worldwide help they do...then, finally, over an hour of advice, coaching and
inspiration with many Bible verses referenced, finally.

If I go back... I will slip in an hr late. Just sayin...

Any pastors that can explain why jumping and singing first before there
are inspiring words/sermon?

PS...If I start a church...I will inspire and pump people up first, then, say, "Let's get up
and sing to the Lord, yeah!!! Hallelujah!"

Thanks in advance
Maybe if they go through the hassle of setting up the instruments, they feel like they need to play enough songs to make it worthwhile.

In my church, we sing a song, greet everyone...sing 1-2 more, then we have the rest of the service. We end with a song. But we are a small country church that doesn't have a band. Instead we have a piano player.


It's funny though...what you're describing is the typical evangelical seeker-sensitive megachurch. Such churches pride themselves on not being traditional....not being liturgical. But they still have their liturgy--their "Order of Service". People get used to 20-30 minutes of worship time, then an offering, and the sermon for 45 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
9,267 posts, read 5,488,464 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
UGH this has been a sore spot for me. OK some of the music is inspiring. Some of it is boring. I the church i went to last, they had some ancient hyms they sang, some were good, some not. One day when i was feeling very not into all this singing stuff, they were going thru EVERY verse, including verse 6 or 7. And by that time with the archaic language, I just realized this song is making NO sense, i just sorta laughed to myself incredulously. i was watching the congregation sing this with no meaning, just rote, like a bunch of robots singing mindlessly. And it was like a dose of reality what i was seeing and hearing. some of the language is archaic and has no meaning for me, yet we were forced to sing.

Also, since i have bad knees, I also do not stand just because they order me to. I am not a sheep. so im a bit rebellious about all that stupidity of being a sheep, for what? what does standing have to do to make this stupid song any more holy? maybe this is why i do not like church. I cant stand these stupid standing for 40 minutes and singing a stupid song.
The older hymns may have "archaic" language, but they are, in general, much more grounded in theology than the new "praise" songs that dominate the church scene. I'm thinking of Rock of Ages, What a Friend We Have in Jesus, Standing on the Promises of God, The Old Rugged Cross, It Is Well with my Soul, Amazing Grace. The newer songs seem to be much more repetitive in their stanzas and are the words are sometimes overpowered by the music.

I am a big fan of Southern gospel quartet music, also--such as the songs put out by the Gaithers--either through creation or popularization. I'm thinking of The Cross Made the Difference for Me and Because He Lives off the top of my head.

Music can be every bit as inspiring as preaching--and on occasion more so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
16,257 posts, read 7,646,560 times
Reputation: 1718
My favorite Meeting starts with about 20 minutes of singing with songs usually picked from a fairly restricted hymnal and related to a theme. Then about 20 minutes or so of shared thankfulness by the members of the congregation and then about 20 minutes of open or waiting worship in which anyone who feels led may share a message. It's a good mix for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,355 posts, read 12,114,801 times
Reputation: 16598
A couple of beginning songs are ok with me...maybe even some slow love songs to God I hear
on the radio as people are coming in to feel the sweet love...get their hearts open and feel comfortable
in a warm, inviting place of worship.

That would be my church....and it isn't as much a dream as it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,355 posts, read 12,114,801 times
Reputation: 16598
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
then about 20 minutes of open or waiting worship in
which anyone who feels led may share a message...
Oh, that is very Christian Sciencey...or at least their Wed eve services...I like that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,355 posts, read 12,114,801 times
Reputation: 16598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Maybe if they go through the hassle of setting up the
instruments, they feel like they need to play enough songs to make it worthwhile.
That's very funny, cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2014, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,005 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Reputation: 66354
Lol, I've never been to a church that does that kind of singing. Think I'd pass on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top