Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 06:15 AM

3 posts, read 1,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Once again, Jesus promised a guide. You have chosen to put what is a useful tool for that guide as authority in place of the guide Jesus promised. How many ways and times must I say this before you absorb the information?
You mean what he said in the.........Bible.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 06:31 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
natswift, Jesus quoted from and read from the very Scriptures you call "only words in ink".
But what did he know. Obviously those he now gives spirit ro know better than he did, or so they claim.

The word "Bible" is simply descriptive of God's written word, but many will attack the word "Bible" to ignore the clear teaching that God had his word recorded for our benefit and instruction. Today many want what they claim to be spirit led to be superior to what God had recorded previously and ... God is so weak He can't protect His word either, so they must be right.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
I'm going to assume that you really want to know and are not familiar with the concept of "logos." John was a mystic and he borrowed a term from Greek philosophy. Think of it as "the idea" or "the concept." I also am a mystic and prefer to think of it as "the animating spirit." It was this that Jesus manifested in His life and ministry.
The word "logos" was a common and standard Greek word for what is spoken, what is recorded of or about idea, actions etc. Mystical use is a small part of it's use (not meaning) and not a part of John's use. He used another idea comon it to it, when definite (the Logos) of spokesman. Jesus was God's spokesman.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k81689 View Post
My book is written by human.
Human makes mistakes.
My book is full of errors.
I guote errors from my book to prove that my book has no errors.
So one choose to believe errors are not errors and everything is fine.
Then you do not have a Bible.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Once again, Jesus promised a guide. You have chosen to put what is a useful tool for that guide as authority in place of the guide Jesus promised. How many ways and times must I say this before you absorb the information?
The guide Jesus promised was to help accurately understand the Bible, not replace it. Reading it does not lead to an accurate understanding of it, study guided by the spirit does.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:17 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
YES, there absolutely is 'proof' that the Bible is divinely inspired (things like accurately fulfilled prophecy, convergence of thought over generations, life-changing power, literary evidence and survival, archaeological evidence and many other things). This has been repeatedly discussed on this forum (to no avail). "Seek and you will find, Ask and it will be given, Knock and the door will be opened" ... is far more than a poetic saying.

However, the CD Christian forum seems to be populated by many who would only be willing to consider any part of the Bible true, is if it was personally delivered by God ... with a signed affidavit. Even then, they would insist on three forms of identification and a miracle or two. The bottom line is that one will never find what they are absolutely unwilling to see.

Ironically, many proclaim that things like opinions, rumors, hearsay, things their grandmother said or anything written in the newspaper or on the internet ... is absolutely "TRUE", but, categorically write-off the divinely inspired Word of God -- as 'untrue' or subject to their personal opinion. These folks tend to congratulate and 'back slap' each other's blind opinions ... as though they had actually unearthed some startling ‘truth’ that poor, blind ignorant believers have failed to see over thousands of years.

Last edited by jghorton; 09-17-2014 at 07:30 AM..

Old 09-17-2014, 07:44 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post
Many consider that the Bible contains the inspired word of God.

But can this view be proven or is it held only by faith alone?

1. Rationalism holds that truth should be determined by reason and factual analysis, rather than faith, dogma, tradition or religious teaching.

2. Fideism holds that faith is necessary, and that beliefs may be held without evidence or reason, or even in conflict with evidence and reason.

Faith and rationality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is it possible that the Bible is only partially inspired and, if so, how does one determine which parts?
I find it interesting that the definition of "Faith" seems to be confused..

In the kitchen that I'm currently sitting, there is a sign that says..

"Faith is not believing that God can it is Knowing that He will"

that's nice and all, but I prefer

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:15 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But what did he know. Obviously those he now gives spirit ro know better than he did, or so they claim.

The word "Bible" is simply descriptive of God's written word, but many will attack the word "Bible" to ignore the clear teaching that God had his word recorded for our benefit and instruction. Today many want what they claim to be spirit led to be superior to what God had recorded previously and ... God is so weak He can't protect His word either, so they must be right.
The word :"Bible" is descriptive of a compendium of reports written by men abouyt their perception of God and clearly has a wide range of those perceptions and shows a development OF those perception over time, culminating in the reveleation of Jesus in the New Testament as to that nature at least in regard of God's relationship with men. Yes, it can be a useful tool FOR the spirit in instructing, but the Spirit IS superior to ANY words recorded by men, and your straw man comment about God's capability to protect the writings would have some merit if God had promised that those writings would BE the guide He gives us. Is God so weak that the Spirit He DID promise is unable to do the job?

Old 09-17-2014, 08:21 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
It has been clearly established that the Spirit is the guide promised by Jesus. If I am wrong about what you have done, please tell me clearly by what standard you judge truth.
The only reason you know the Spirit is the guide is because the Bible told you.

God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and the Bible are NOT independent of each other. The Spirit is the one who guided the authors to write what they wrote. That's 2 Peter 1.

Just to put the pieces in the proper order, obviously the Holy Spirit is disclosing to believers what comes from Christ/God and is the authority. The Bible is not an active guide - it's a fixed resource given to us as a record of God revealing Himself to the people He created - and is useful for us in this life - that's 2 Timothy 3 and Romans 15.

If you want to speculate that the Spirit was not involved in all of the content in the Bible - then you need to check your guide, because the Holy Spirit is not telling you that.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:24 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The guide Jesus promised was to help accurately understand the Bible, not replace it. Reading it does not lead to an accurate understanding of it, study guided by the spirit does.
The "Bible" at the time of Jesus' promise did not exist as such, it was only what we know as the Old Testament and He did not promise that the Spirit would guide us un understanding either that or what was later written. He said it would guied into ALL understanding (of course the problem there is that we have to pay attention to the lessons rather than getting lost in arguments about the meaning of the book) By making this claim you are elevating scripture above that Spirit that "proceeds from" the Father and Son as well as restricting the operation of that Spirit to what is contained in the book. That is not only highly presumptious, it is patently false.

Added: something to consider, why is that guide so ineffective that there are so many denominations arguing about the meaning? Isn't that the SAME problem that keeps you from trusting the Spirit, that so many are unable to discern the leading?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity