Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 06:05 AM

225 posts, read 161,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
=Arach Angle;36694153]if your catholic you know that taking the bible too literal is wrong. It is on the other Christians to prove it is the sole word of god. Not Catholics. Rome helped assemble the bible.
Actually not

Saint Augustine and others too hold that the FIRST reading of the entire bible is to towards a literal understanding of it.

Is everything literal. NO! BUT very much of it is. And that dear friend is why God gave the keys ONLY to His Catholic Church who alone is enabled and guided to share the ENTIRETY of what is necessarily God's singular truths.

God Bless you,

Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 06:28 AM

225 posts, read 161,907 times
Quote:
=EddieOlSkool;36706013]But they were never declared sins. Where there is no law there is no transgression. You are ADDING to God's Word.
My friend, your a bit naive in thinking ALL sins are spelled out.

Gen. 38: 6-10 " [6] And Juda took a wife for Her his firstborn, whose name was Thamar. [7] And Her, the firstborn of Juda, was wicked in the sight of the Lord: and was slain by him. [8] Juda, therefore said to Onan his son: Go in to thy brother' s wife and marry her, that thou mayst raise seed to thy brother. [9] He knowing that the children should not be his, when he went in to his brother' s wife, spilled his seed upon the ground, lest children should be born in his brother' s name. [10] And therefore the Lord slew him, because he did a detestable thing."

Hebrews 10:16 "And this is the testament which I will make unto them after those days, saith the Lord. I will give my laws in their hearts, and on their minds will I write them"

God Created man in his own image Gen. 1:26-27, and gives each of us a mind, intellect, and freewill that are attachments to our Souls so that we can fulfill the reason for OUR creation:

Isaiah 43: 7 & 21 "7] And every one that calleth upon my name, I have created him for my glory, I have formed him, and made him" & [ 21] "This people have I formed for myself, they shall shew forth my praise."

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]The Ten Commandments are the entire list of possible sins; RATHER they are the 10 categories of sins.[/color]

1 John 1: 6-10 "6] If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth. [7] But if we walk in the light, as he also is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. [8] If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. [9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all iniquity. [10] If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

1 John 5: 16-17 "[16] He that knoweth his brother to sin a sin which is not to death, let him ask, and life shall be given to him, who sinneth not to death. There is a sin unto death: for that I say not that any man ask. [17] All iniquity is sin. And there is a sin unto death" {"Unto death" here is a spiritual death: Condemned to hell}

God Bless you,
Patrick

Old 10-16-2014, 07:58 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamACatholic View Post
My friend, your a bit naive in thinking ALL sins are spelled out.

Gen. 38: 6-10 " [6] And Juda took a wife for Her his firstborn, whose name was Thamar. [7] And Her, the firstborn of Juda, was wicked in the sight of the Lord: and was slain by him. [8] Juda, therefore said to Onan his son: Go in to thy brother' s wife and marry her, that thou mayst raise seed to thy brother. [9] He knowing that the children should not be his, when he went in to his brother' s wife, spilled his seed upon the ground, lest children should be born in his brother' s name. [10] And therefore the Lord slew him, because he did a detestable thing."

Hebrews 10:16 "And this is the testament which I will make unto them after those days, saith the Lord. I will give my laws in their hearts, and on their minds will I write them"

God Created man in his own image Gen. 1:26-27, and gives each of us a mind, intellect, and freewill that are attachments to our Souls so that we can fulfill the reason for OUR creation:

Isaiah 43: 7 & 21 "7] And every one that calleth upon my name, I have created him for my glory, I have formed him, and made him" & [ 21] "This people have I formed for myself, they shall shew forth my praise."

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]The Ten Commandments are the entire list of possible sins; RATHER they are the 10 categories of sins.[/color]

1 John 1: 6-10 "6] If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth. [7] But if we walk in the light, as he also is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. [8] If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. [9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all iniquity. [10] If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

1 John 5: 16-17 "[16] He that knoweth his brother to sin a sin which is not to death, let him ask, and life shall be given to him, who sinneth not to death. There is a sin unto death: for that I say not that any man ask. [17] All iniquity is sin. And there is a sin unto death" {"Unto death" here is a spiritual death: Condemned to hell}

God Bless you,
Patrick
You just quoted Bible verses. You didn't address my comment at all, Pat.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:05 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Marrying someone whom you've never lived with is like buying a car you've never driven. I'm glad more people have decided to try before they buy :-)

Old 10-17-2014, 06:45 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
The OP already received the answer. God said its wrong, so it's wrong. Its a sin against the sixth commandment. Any sex outside the bonds of marriage is a sin. AS Christians, we are supposed to repent of sin in our hearts and as much as we are able in actions. But people who have sex outside the bonds of marriage, are not trying to stop sinning, and couples who continue to engage in sex on a regular basis outside the bonds of marriage are just in total rebellion against God. They are basically thumbing their noses at God. Not a good idea.

BTW, it is the business of other Christians, particularly members of their congregation. Please read 1 Corinthians 5. Here Paul commanded them to throw out of their church the man who was sinning sexually. "Hand him over to Satan" is one statement.

1Co 5:11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.
1Co 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
1Co 5:13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked man from among you.”

So you see, if you want to truly be Christians, then there is some effort involved. Rejecting the sins God condemns and living in Faith toward Jesus. Living in faith means more than just trust in his forgiveness, but it also means we trust that His ways and His commandments are best, and we act in harmony with those commandments.

When you stand before God, it will be too late to repent. I would suggest you submit yourself to God today, because Judgment Day could be today. Or it could be your last day on the earth, and your last opportunity to repent.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:23 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
And make sure that when you're doing it that you don't wear fabric mixed of two materials

Leviticus 19:19: "'Keep my decrees. "'Do not mate different kinds of animals. "'Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. "'Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material."

Wouldn't want to upset him or anything.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:14 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The OP already received the answer. God said its wrong, so it's wrong. Its a sin against the sixth commandment. Any sex outside the bonds of marriage is a sin.
Nope. 6th Commandment does NOT say that. In the OT, adultery was classified as a MARRIED woman having sex with another man.

Quote:
AS Christians, we are supposed to repent of sin in our hearts and as much as we are able in actions. But people who have sex outside the bonds of marriage, are not trying to stop sinning, and couples who continue to engage in sex on a regular basis outside the bonds of marriage are just in total rebellion against God. They are basically thumbing their noses at God. Not a good idea.
Nope, because it is a made up sin. You are right about repentance and living for God. This man-made standard does nothing of the sort!

Quote:
BTW, it is the business of other Christians, particularly members of their congregation. Please read 1 Corinthians 5. Here Paul commanded them to throw out of their church the man who was sinning sexually. "Hand him over to Satan" is one statement.

1Co 5:11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.
1Co 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
1Co 5:13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked man from among you.”
Irrelevant comment to something that was never declared a sin.

Quote:
So you see, if you want to truly be Christians, then there is some effort involved.
Works righteousness. Not how faith is lived out. Every religion in the world, like Judaism and Islam are all about ACTIONS. Christianity isn't about what YOU DO for God, but what He did for you.

Quote:
Rejecting the sins God condemns and living in Faith toward Jesus. Living in faith means more than just trust in his forgiveness, but it also means we trust that His ways and His commandments are best, and we act in harmony with those commandments.
This is true, but having sex before marriage does not fall under any biblical condemnation.

Quote:
When you stand before God, it will be too late to repent. I would suggest you submit yourself to God today, because Judgment Day could be today. Or it could be your last day on the earth, and your last opportunity to repent.
Fear-mongering, and inaccurate theology at best. Have you repented of EVERY single sin you've committed?

Old 10-17-2014, 08:28 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
"Hand him over to Satan" is one statement.
The compulsion to condemn and control, leads only to destruction.
Do not let your own insecurities push you down that road of being overly critical of others?

The only change you can make is within yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity