Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe God literally speaks to us
Yes 5 18.52%
No 18 66.67%
Not Sure 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:25 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times

Advertisements

I have had people tell me that they heard God speak to them and tell them to do X,Y,Z and the feeling was amazing. They said that they heard him speak just like if we were to have a conversation. Or when someone says The Lord told me to move to be with this person, leave this church, etc.

So do you believe God literally speaks to us in a way that we can literally hear his voice that tells us to go buy a car, dont go to work, move out of state etc???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 08:45 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,805 times
It depends on the person and on what the person claims God spoke, obviously.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:25 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
I have no reason to believe them. Especially if they are claiming a message that goes against what God has already said.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:51 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I have no reason to believe them. Especially if they are claiming a message that goes against what God has already said.
But you obviously believe the dozens of long-dead writers who said they were channeling God.

I guess your God just decided to hit his personal mute button for a couple of thousand years.

Odd.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:00 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I would be skeptical because, deep down I am more inclined to think God speaks to us through our intuitive thoughts and the message is for us only to teach, guide and comfort us.

I truly believe that he speaks to all of us in this way and we choose whether we will or will not not "listen"

Old 09-17-2014, 12:01 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
But you obviously believe the dozens of long-dead writers who said they were channeling God.

I guess your God just decided to hit his personal mute button for a couple of thousand years.

Odd.
Of course. I have read the Bible and believe what it says about itself.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I would be skeptical because, deep down I am more inclined to think God speaks to us through our intuitive thoughts and the message is for us only to teach, guide and comfort us.
I agree, Miss Blue.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:22 PM

This girl acted shocked when I told her I dont believe I have heard him speak to me. She said God spoke to her the other day like in the same way me and her was having a conversation and it was truly amazing. I have also heard a couple others say they heard God physically speak to them in a dream or something and tell them the person they were dating was the one.

I just find that hard to believe since I dont hear more accounts of God having literal conversations with more believers. Im thinking was it God or their own creative imagination.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:54 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
There are composers who hear music ... maybe they are also audibly hearing God in the language they are most comfortable with.

Then there are people who have gut feelings. Perhaps they, too, are hearing God in the "language" they are most fluent in -- emotions.

Sometimes people feel God has communicated to them through various things they have read. Maybe God has.

There are people who can see images in their minds's eye. How do we know that couldn't possibly be communication from God?

I've also heard of people who have literally felt a physical sensation of God's touch in some way.

My point is that just because not everyone, or even most people, can hear God speaking to them in audible words, and it's certainly nothing I've ever experienced, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
There are composers who hear music ... maybe they are also audibly hearing God in the language they are most comfortable with.

Then there are people who have gut feelings. Perhaps they, too, are hearing God in the "language" they are most fluent in -- emotions.

Sometimes people feel God has communicated to them through various things they have read. Maybe God has.

There are people who can see images in their minds's eye. How do we know that couldn't possibly be communication from God?

I've also heard of people who have literally felt a physical sensation of God's touch in some way.

My point is that just because not everyone, or even most people, can hear God speaking to them in audible words, and it's certainly nothing I've ever experienced, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
I believe God communicates with us at times, but as to him saying GO AND MOVE TO BE WITH THE LOVE OF YOUR LIFE or GET UP AND LEAVE THAT CHURCH AND NEVER COME BACK the way people say The Lord specifically told them to, just seems a tad extra to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity