Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 01:43 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Murder? I think not. Murder denotes the purposeful killing of an innocent person. An individual who practices sorcery or witchcraft is not innocent. You can claim there is no guilt, but God clearly says otherwise.

...snip...
God said nothing of the sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 01:55 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
God said nothing of the sort.
Indeed He did. Many times.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:10 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,385,743 times
Quote:
Murder? I think not. Murder denotes the purposeful killing of an innocent person. An individual who practices sorcery or witchcraft is not innocent. You can claim there is no guilt, but God clearly says otherwise.

As William Lane Craig said:
eek gad JJ how many times in your life have you or members of your family gone to see a practising witch?

You did know that a doctor was a witch did you not?

Old 09-21-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
eek gad JJ how many times in your life have you or members of your family gone to see a practising witch?

You did know that a doctor was a witch did you not?
It means no such thing. There are numerous references to sorcery, witchcraft, magic, divination, omen interpretation, astrology, and other dark arts throughout the Bible. Luke was a physician, a doctor, but never referred to as a magician or sorcerer. I see no Scriptural evidence to support the premise that witchcraft or sorcery is synonymous with physicians.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
It means no such thing. There are numerous references to sorcery, witchcraft, magic, divination, omen interpretation, astrology, and other dark arts throughout the Bible. Luke was a physician, a doctor, but never referred to as a magician or sorcerer. I see no Scriptural evidence to support the premise that witchcraft or sorcery is synonymous with physicians.
that is because you don't look.

Doctors hand out pharmaceutical drugs, pharma in the Greek implies sorcery.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:43 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Christians are not under the law of Moses , as Just because the bible says it these old Covenant laws were because there was no Blood of Jesus power to rip the demons out which are attracted to these back arts which some people many engage in during the day of Moses to Christ Cross , So God forbid them and Moses said if God forbid them then we are going to put them to death ............................ So today through the authority of the believer Christians can rip the demons out of people through this gift of Holy Spirit and redeem people by Jesus , out of the curses which may have occurred ..................As through the New Covenant through Lord Jesus Christ God can now save the witches who repent and turn away from these back arts and turn to Christ ..So killing witches is out of the will of God through Jesus , as Jesus has come for the sinners to be redeemed to Christ , and witchcraft is a sin just like all the other sins in the world need to be redeemed through the blood of Christ Judgment

Old 09-21-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
that is because you don't look.

Doctors hand out pharmaceutical drugs, pharma in the Greek implies sorcery.
You are speaking of etymology, of which I agree in regards to the origins of some of our drug-related words. However, God is speaking of those people who perform dark, evil magic such as in Exodus 7:11 -
Then Pharaoh also called for the wise men and the sorcerers, and they also, the magicians of Egypt, did the same with their secret arts.
These were clearly not doctors. Throughout the Scripture, as I said, there were those who utilized the power of Satan to accomplish their tasks such as divination, omen interpretation, etc.

These acts are sin and are immoral and God cannot allow sin to go unpunished.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:50 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times
To Israel:

Leviticus 20:26 You are to be holy to me because I, the Lord, am holy and I have set you apart from the nations to be my own.

To those who accept Christ (church):

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I have come to destroy the law or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law to righteousness to everyone that believeth.

No. It was only for Israel. They were to be set apart from the pagan cultures as a light, a testament to reflect the holiness of the one true God. The surrounding pagan cultures were very evil. Molech was the god statue they would heat up to sacrifice live infants and children on. The women were all prostitutes and it was just lawlessness abound. This is why God called Israel out of that to be separate and holy. Israel always had a choice, but they wanted to be separate and made a covenant to follow God's law. God said "follow me, be holy, apart from the heathen, and I will make you a great nation."

Look at Israel compared to the surrounding areas in the Middle East. Looks like God has been faithful and has kept his word.

Witchcraft is dangerous in itself as it involves evil spirits and takes people away from the living God who is the only one responsible for our souls for eternity. Witchcraft is deceitful, evil, malicious. Our modern society has painted a pretty picture around it by saying 'I'm a good or a white witch', but nothing can be further from the truth.

The church today does not have to follow this law because we live by grace through Jesus' blood sacrifice, which fulfills the old law. Once you accept Jesus, your eternity is secure. Back then, they didn't have Jesus, it was works based system in order to be holy. Today we just need to walk with Christ.

So they needed the law to show the severity of turning against God and the dangers of following a false god, and to set themselves apart as holy. Today, we only need Christ to be set apart as holy. The consequences would be giving up your eternal security with the Lord.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Some posters on this forum would have fit right in if born in the Dark Ages.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
You are speaking of etymology, of which I agree in regards to the origins of some of our drug-related words. However, God is speaking of those people who perform dark, evil magic such as in Exodus 7:11 -
Then Pharaoh also called for the wise men and the sorcerers, and they also, the magicians of Egypt, did the same with their secret arts.
These were clearly not doctors. Throughout the Scripture, as I said, there were those who utilized the power of Satan to accomplish their tasks such as divination, omen interpretation, etc.

These acts are sin and are immoral and God cannot allow sin to go unpunished.
Sorcery
·

A — 1: φαρμακεα
(Strong's #5331 — Noun Feminine — pharmakia[-eia] — far-mak-i'-ah )
(Eng., "pharmacy," etc.) primarily signified "the use of medicine, drugs, spells;" then, "poisoning;" then, "sorcery," Galatians 5:20 , RV, "sorcery" (AV, "witchcraft"), mentioned as one of "the works of the flesh." See also Revelation 9:21; 18:23 . In the Sept., Exodus 7:11,22; 8:7,18; Isaiah 47:9,12 . In "sorcery," the use of drugs, whether simple or potent, was generally accompanied by incantations and appeals to occult powers, with the provision of various charms, amulets, etc., professedly designed to keep the applicant or patient from the attention and power of demons, but actually to impress the applicant with the mysterious resources and powers of the sorcerer.

Witchcraft

5331 // farmakeia // pharmakeia // far-mak-i'-ah //

from 5332 ; n f

AV - sorcery 2, witchcraft 1; 3

1) the use or the administering of drugs
2) poisoning
3) sorcery, magical arts, often found in connection with idolatry and
fostered by it
4) metaph. the deceptions and seductions of idolatry

So I guess you better stop going to the doctors and taking those pharmacuticals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity