Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 04:21 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Some posters on this forum would have fit right in if born in the Dark Ages.
wierd aint it, and I thought the people of today were suppose to be enlightened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 04:44 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
So I guess you better stop going to the doctors and taking those pharmacuticals.
The OP was asking about Exodus 22:18. Please compare the Hebrew in this verse with Exodus 7:11. You will find they are the same. The writers of the NT were well aware of the Egyptian sorcerers and magicians and what their actions were and that it was contrary to God. There is simply no debate.

Witchcraft, sorcery, magic... These were all considered sin against God and by God in the Scripture and God was being perfectly just and moral by commanding their execution under the Israelite theocracy.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
wierd aint it, and I thought the people of today were suppose to be enlightened.
"For I, the LORD, do not change" (Mal 3:6)

Old 09-21-2014, 04:52 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
We are not supposed to go around kiling witches, like they did in Salem during the Pilgrims time.

But we are told we are not to speak to the dead, nor participate in witchcraft, the occult, or the ouiji board, etc. fortunetelling, etc. it is forbidden. that is the command for us today.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
We are not supposed to go around kiling witches, like they did in Salem during the Pilgrims time.

But we are told we are not to speak to the dead, nor participate in witchcraft, the occult, or the ouiji board, etc. fortunetelling, etc. it is forbidden. that is the command for us today.
As I said, we are no longer under the theocracy of ancient Israel and we are to submit ourselves to our current authority. However, God does not allow sin to go unpunished and His justice will be fulfilled. He desires that all come to repentance, and believe me there will be murderers in heaven, but their won't be any unrepentant murderers in heaven.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:31 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
As I said, we are no longer under the theocracy of ancient Israel and we are to submit ourselves to our current authority. However, God does not allow sin to go unpunished and His justice will be fulfilled. He desires that all come to repentance, and believe me there will be murderers in heaven, but their won't be any unrepentant murderers in heaven.
I assume that you also believe there will be no unrepentant practitioners of "witchcraft" in heaven either, and that no one can repent once they've died. Then why would killing anyone be a good idea, if God wants them to have a chance to come to repentance? Wouldn't you want to do everything in your power to prolong their "chance" at avoiding God's supposed eternal "justice"?

Old 09-21-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I assume that you also believe there will be no unrepentant practitioners of "witchcraft" in heaven either, and that no one can repent once they've died. Then why would killing anyone be a good idea, if God wants them to have a chance to come to repentance? Wouldn't you want to do everything in your power to prolong their "chance" at avoiding God's supposed eternal "justice"?
Of course. This is exactly what God has been doing since His son died on the cross. His judgement is delayed. However, in ancient Israel, God was the government, the authority and He alone prescribed the penalties for crimes. Then, as now, God gave everyone a choice to do the right thing and told them precisely what would happen if they disobeyed Him. The wages of sin is still death, only it is an eternal spiritual death rather than a physical one.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:22 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
You are speaking of etymology, of which I agree in regards to the origins of some of our drug-related words. However, God is speaking of those people who perform dark, evil magic such as in Exodus 7:11 -
Then Pharaoh also called for the wise men and the sorcerers, and they also, the magicians of Egypt, did the same with their secret arts.
These were clearly not doctors. Throughout the Scripture, as I said, there were those who utilized the power of Satan to accomplish their tasks such as divination, omen interpretation, etc.

These acts are sin and are immoral and God cannot allow sin to go unpunished.
So, what about when Moses and Aaron did the same things? And what would you call making a bronze serpent and having the people who were bitten look at it to be healed?

I'd have to agree that the question may be one of definition, but can you show that magic actually exists that we should prosecute anyone for performing?
The OP is moot, there is no magic.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:27 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times
Quote:
The OP was asking about Exodus 22:18. Please compare the Hebrew in this verse with Exodus 7:11. You will find they are the same. The writers of the NT were well aware of the Egyptian sorcerers and magicians and what their actions were and that it was contrary to God. There is simply no debate.

Witchcraft, sorcery, magic... These were all considered sin against God and by God in the Scripture and God was being perfectly just and moral by commanding their execution under the Israelite theocracy.
So your saying the sorcery in exodus is different then the sorcery used here?

Galatians 5:19-21
Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,
20) idolatry, sorcery (pharmakeia), enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,
21) envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Revelation 18:23
and the light of a lamp will not shine in you (the great city Babylon) any longer; and the voice of the bridegroom and bride will not be heard in you any longer; for your merchants were the great men of the earth, because all the nations (ethnos) were deceived by your sorcery (pharmakeia).

Old 09-21-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So, what about when Moses and Aaron did the same things? And what would you call making a bronze serpent and having the people who were bitten look at it to be healed?

I'd have to agree that the question may be one of definition, but can you show that magic actually exists that we should prosecute anyone for performing?
The OP is moot, there is no magic.
I disagree. There are evil forces in this world that can be utilized by people. These forces are not more powerful than God however, as the Scriptures testify.

As far as prosecution, let's get one thing straight, the Israelites were not confused as to what God meant by 'sorcery' and 'witchcraft'. It was the works of evil, of divination, omen interpretation, etc... These things are still morally wrong in 2014, but there's no civil law against it.

Quote:
So your saying the sorcery in exodus is different then the sorcery used here?

Galatians 5:19-21
Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,
20) idolatry, sorcery (pharmakeia), enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,
21) envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Revelation 18:23
and the light of a lamp will not shine in you (the great city Babylon) any longer; and the voice of the bridegroom and bride will not be heard in you any longer; for your merchants were the great men of the earth, because all the nations (ethnos) were deceived by your sorcery (pharmakeia).
Again, the translation is accurate. Witches and sorcerers or magicians were not doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity