Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:15 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,222,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
The word used in verse 6 means "outward appearance," or "physical form." It cannot refer to anything else. The Greek words cannot just mean whatever you want them to, and no amount of context and theological speculation can overrule the semantic range of a word. I already cited three different lexica regarding the meaning of μορφη and you flatly ignored them all. This is why it's useless trying to reason with you. You cannot reason, you can only make up nonsensical and obfuscating ramblings. You have absolutely no clue whatsoever what you're talking about. You are 100% ignorant of how Greek and Hebrew work.

And on the the outward form of God, you can refer to my Oxford master's thesis here, and then to any of the following publications:

Amazon.com: The Bodies of God and the World of Ancient Israel (9780521518727): Benjamin D. Sommer: Books

Anthropomorphism and Its Eradication | Shamma Friedman - Academia.edu

http://www.amazon.com/Biblical-Ambig.../dp/B005Q7MR1M

Augustine and the Corporeality of God
ANTHROPOMORPHISM? LOL, I had to STOP laughing before I responded. no there are many, and I mean many "REAL" SCHOLARS that will disagree with that.

God had no outward form that is PHYICAL

Old 10-10-2014, 10:35 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,236,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
ANTHROPOMORPHISM? LOL, I had to STOP laughing before I responded. no there are many, and I mean many "REAL" SCHOLARS that will disagree with that.

God had no outward form that is PHYICAL
Cite them, then. And leave out the No True Scotsman fallacy.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Cite them, then. And leave out the No True Scotsman fallacy.
just Google them, their work is there for you to see, and two please tell us how God looks

Old 10-10-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
just Google them, their work is there for you to see, and two please tell us how God looks
No, I wrote an award-winning master's thesis at the University of Oxford on anti-anthropomorphism in early Judaism and Christianity. I've read all of the scholarship. I don't need to look it up. You made a claim, and now I'm asking you to support it. "Google it!" doesn't impress me, it just shows everyone you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
No, I wrote an award-winning master's thesis at the University of Oxford on anti-anthropomorphism in early Judaism and Christianity. I've read all of the scholarship. I don't need to look it up. You made a claim, and now I'm asking you to support it. "Google it!" doesn't impress me, it just shows everyone you don't know what you're talking about.
so YOU, wrote. well tell us what God outward appearance looks like then?.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
so YOU, wrote. well tell us what God outward appearance looks like then?.
Depends on the literary stratum, but that's utterly and completely irrelevant. You said plenty of scholars disagreed with me. Name them.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Depends on the literary stratum, but that's utterly and completely irrelevant. You said plenty of scholars disagreed with me. Name them.
it depends on nothing, the Form in verse 6 is different from form in verse 7& 8.

now what do God look like?. and I will Give my sources.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
it depends on nothing,
What an utterly meaningless assertion.

Quote:
the Form in verse 6 is different from form in verse 7& 8.
It absolutely is not, but go ahead and show me that it's different. And not by just barking that it's different because you found the word "different" somewhere in the Old Testament.

Quote:
now what do God look like?.
I told you, it depends on the literary stratum. He was conceptualized in a variety of ways by the many different authors and editors that produced the Bible.

Quote:
and I will Give my sources.
Yeah, right. If you do manage to give any actual scholarly sources, I'll be happy to respond to each one.

Last edited by Daniel O. McClellan; 10-10-2014 at 11:44 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 11:35 AM

[quote=Daniel O. McClellan;36826314]What an utterly meaningless assertion.

It absolutely is not, but go ahead and show me that it's different. And not by just barking that it's different because you found the word "different" somewhere in the Old Testament.

[quote=101c;36825969]now what do God look like?.
Quote:

I told you, it depends on the literary stratum. He was conceptualized in a variety of ways by the many different authors and editors that produced the Bible.

Yeah, right. If you do manage to give any actual scholarly sources, I'll be happy to respond to each one.
The "Form" of a SERVENT is flesh and blood. now what is the FORM of God that you claim?, Dan o I can’t wait to hear the answer, (smile).

Old 10-10-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
The "Form" of a SERVENT is flesh and blood.

now what is the FORM of God that you claim?, Dan o I can’t wait to hear the answer, (smile).
These aren't sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity