U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 05:00 AM

8,594 posts, read 11,886,406 times

Advertisements

The original version of Mark did not include anything after the original ending, which describes his followers running away afraid and terrified from the empty tomb.

The new "updated" version of Mark describes Jesus appearing again. (Did this represent his physical body or some kind of spiritual event for his followers?)

The books of Matthew and Luke were also "updates" of the gospel of Mark. They added even more miraculous events to the gospel story. (Virgin birth, etc)

Why do so many Bible believing Christians just ACCEPT everything as literal fact when there is so much to be skeptical about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 05:56 AM

802 posts, read 292,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The original version of Mark did not include anything after the original ending, which describes his followers running away afraid and terrified from the empty tomb.

The new "updated" version of Mark describes Jesus appearing again. (Did this represent his physical body or some kind of spiritual event for his followers?)

The books of Matthew and Luke were also "updates" of the gospel of Mark. They added even more miraculous events to the gospel story. (Virgin birth, etc)

Why do so many Bible believing Christians just ACCEPT everything as literal fact when there is so much to be skeptical about?
RESPONSE:

The original ending of Mark 16 does mention the Resurrection.

Mark 16:5-8

"5As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man, dressed in a white robe, sitting on the right side; and they were alarmed. 6But he said to them, “Do not be alarmed; you are looking for Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has been raised; he is not here. Look, there is the place they laid him. 7But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going ahead of you to Galilee; there you will see him, just as he told you.” 8So they went out and fled from the tomb, for terror and amazement had seized them; and they said nothing to anyone, for they were afraid. "

The "Longer Ending" was added in the second century perhaps to make Mark agree with Matthew's and Luke's extended (but contradictory) accounts of the post Resurrection.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:19 AM

1,233 posts, read 830,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post
RESPONSE:

The original ending of Mark 16 does mention the Resurrection.

Mark 16:5-8

"5As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man, dressed in a white robe, sitting on the right side; and they were alarmed. 6But he said to them, “Do not be alarmed; you are looking for Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has been raised; he is not here. Look, there is the place they laid him. 7But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going ahead of you to Galilee; there you will see him, just as he told you.” 8So they went out and fled from the tomb, for terror and amazement had seized them; and they said nothing to anyone, for they were afraid. "

The "Longer Ending" was added in the second century perhaps to make Mark agree with Matthew's and Luke's extended (but contradictory) accounts of the post Resurrection.
John's post resurrection story is likewise different from Matthew and Luke. The add-on ending of Mark also references John.

What all four Gospels agree on is that on Sunday morning the tomb was found to be empty and one or more strangers say that Jesus rose from the dead and went someplace. Nobody ever sees the resurrection event itself.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:37 AM

23,353 posts, read 12,079,766 times
Quote:
...snip...
This has always bothered me too. But then I started hanging around these forums and seeing examples of this kind of non-questioning day after day.

Moderator cut: cut But many people simply seem to be absent any sort of "questing gene" or curiousity. Maybe it's intellectual laziness. They prefer being spoon-fed "knowledge" from pastors/priests etc. rather than sift through archaic, often obscure writing in order to discern the wheat from the chaff.

Some are also simply afraid of not-knowing, or admitting to same, so they pretend they do.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-26-2014 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: ???

Old 09-26-2014, 11:46 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,978,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
This has always bothered me too. But then I started hanging around these forums and seeing examples of this kind of non-questioning day after day.

Lack of education combined with a room-temperature IQ explains some. But many people simply seem to be absent any sort of "questing gene" or curiousity. Maybe it's intellectual laziness. They prefer being spoon-fed "knowledge" from pastors/priests etc. rather than sift through archaic, often obscure writing in order to discern the wheat from the chaff.

Some are also simply afraid of not-knowing, or admitting to same, so they pretend they do.
The same could be said for many non-Christians that just accept what the secular world tells them.

I mean...how many people actually believe life came from non-life, and that the earth is 14 billion years old, and that it's currently warming due to people driving SUVs...despite the fact that it hasn't warmed in 17 years?

Old 09-26-2014, 12:34 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,351,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

I mean...how many people actually believe life came from non-life, and that the earth is 14 billion years old, and that it's currently warming due to people driving SUVs...despite the fact that it hasn't warmed in 17 years?
NASA, which is full-to-the-brim with highly intelligent scientists, climatologists and meteorologists, consider that 17 years to be part of a pause. That pause could last several more years.

Just so you know.

Since I highly doubt the very conservative sources from which you obviously obtain your news are unbiased enough to include that bit of information.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-26-2014 at 12:52 PM..

Old 09-26-2014, 02:14 PM

4,047 posts, read 3,706,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
John's post resurrection story is likewise different from Matthew and Luke. The add-on ending of Mark also references John.

What all four Gospels agree on is that on Sunday morning the tomb was found to be empty and one or more strangers say that Jesus rose from the dead and went someplace. Nobody ever sees the resurrection event itself.

I will agree it was Sunday that they found the tomb empty, but when comparing all 4 sided by side, it looks like they came Saturday night right after the sun went down, which would be considered the 1st day of the week, but it was not a Sunday morning at dawn sunrise resurrection.

Matthew 28:1(NKJV)
He Is Risen28 Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb.

Mark 16:1 (NKJV)He Is Risen16 Now when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, that they might come and anoint Him.

Luke 24:1 (NKJV)
He Is Risen24 Now on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they, and certain other women with them,[a] came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared.

John 20:1 (NKJV)
The Empty Tomb20 Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene went to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:21 PM

1,552 posts, read 895,312 times
Mark does indeed mention the resurrection, but to my knowledge the original Markan text did not include the sightings of Christ after the ressurection. The does not contradict the other gospels, just contains a different focus or possibly seperate knowledge of events, which is to be expected.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:31 PM

7,861 posts, read 6,669,826 times
Quote:
....Basically when Christ outwardly reject the scriptures then this is irreverence to Holy Spirit who judges our unseen faith in the things of the Lord , as it undermines the part that Holy Spirit will remind us of scripture when needed for our faith can be complete , so rejecting scripture shows Holy Spirit that He cannot always trust us to be reminded in the things of the Lord , as we are to be lead as like little children to the Lord ......Also rejecting faith in scriptures is under the spiritual authority of the spirit of antichrist who reasons out faith in God and His promises

Old 09-26-2014, 03:21 PM

198 posts, read 201,064 times
These are different people with different experiences. A theatre full of people all watch the same show, but take away a different meaning. But they were all watching the same thing.
There may be a lot to be skeptical about, but I have faith that God's word is his Holy Word. And His Word would not lead me astray. I trust God, and I trust the bible, no matter who believes or doesn't believe. That will never change my mind, or make me doubt God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or