Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 08:21 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,317,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlassWarrior View Post
Having sexual attraction to the same sex is not a choice, acting on those attractions is. Christians aren't supposed to discriminate against anyone. We are called to love all. However, love does not mean turning a blind eye to sin or calling something immoral moral.
K, so call it sin... who cares? Religions have no place in legislation and have no place in government.

End of story.

psst: That means that gay marriage is to be legal (which it already is in many states) and you'll just have to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 08:38 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,596,878 times
Quote:
Having sexual attraction to the same sex is not a choice, acting on those attractions is. Christians aren't supposed to discriminate against anyone. We are called to love all. However, love does not mean turning a blind eye to sin or calling something immoral moral.
Would you be willing to live a celibate life, only because an archaic book may or may not have originally stated that a loving homosexual relationship is wrong? I'd like to see you try walking in those shoes. Also the failed Exodus Program proves you can't pray away gay, it would be like asking god to help you regrow a lost limb.

Last edited by ElizaTeal; 10-11-2014 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Added last sentence.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:52 PM

24 posts, read 17,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
K, so call it sin... who cares? Religions have no place in legislation and have no place in government.

End of story.

psst: That means that gay marriage is to be legal (which it already is in many states) and you'll just have to deal with it.
I didn't say anything about legislation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Would you be willing to live a celibate life, only because an archaic book may or may not have originally stated that a loving homosexual relationship is wrong? I'd like to see you try walking in those shoes. Also the failed Exodus Program proves you can't pray away gay, it would be like asking god to help you regrow a lost limb.
Of course I would be celibate for God. Everything He has done for me I would gladly give my life for Him, so even though it would be hard, I would definitely remain celibate. The Scripture speaks of remaining celibate for the Kingdom of God.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:07 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,832,457 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about legislation.

Of course I would be celibate for God. Everything He has done for me I would gladly give my life for Him, so even though it would be hard, I would definitely remain celibate. The Scripture speaks of remaining celibate for the Kingdom of God.
The problem, of course is that so many Christians with your perceptions DO say things about legislation AND they say things about court actions to ensure equal protection under the law.

Scripture speaks of people being CALLED to celibacy, not being coerced into it. The point remains that all you are basing your perceptions on are some more or less ambiguous rules gleaned from some references to same sex activity, activity that in no way presents the idea of committed relationships. The point there is that you have set up rules that ignore the principle Jesus taught about being concerned for the well-being of everyone in any situation.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,022,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Bumped in case StainedGlassWarrior missed it.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:11 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,396,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This came up in another thread - and I did not want to point the thread in a different direction.

On what basis should homosexuality be accepted as decent and normal behavior?

On the biblical side - you have several Scriptural references where God spells out homosexuality is wrong... you have the evidence of how the parts are designed to go together between the male and the female... you have designed procreation that results from male/female relations... you could even go deeper into the design of how male/female relations benefit each party chemically.

All I hear are insults that Christians are not enlightened, or homophobic - which is really not a defense of the behavior. It is an attempt to shame people and shut them up.

According to many... Pastors that accept homosexuality are good. Pastors that don't are rigid and intolerant.
I call it people wanting to justify their sinful behavior, while telling people to stay out of their business. It's obviously working, and my thing is only God can change hearts to convict anyone that he or she is a sinner and need to be delivered from anything that breaks fellowship with God.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:13 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,832,457 times
Someone also listed the things they felt had been answers to the OP and asked what he was missing. My reply was that he was missing love, agape love.

I never heard any more about it.

Strangely enough. many of our commentors seem to have dropped out of the conversation. I have to wonder why.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,022,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Someone also listed the things they felt had been answers to the OP and asked what he was missing. My reply was that he was missing love, agape love.
The OP declared, about a hundred posts ago, that he was leaving the thread. He made one last post about disease rates and..... poof! I guess he felt posting about disease rates was more important then learning about God's agape love.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:26 PM

24 posts, read 17,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The problem, of course is that so many Christians with your perceptions DO say things about legislation AND they say things about court actions to ensure equal protection under the law.

Scripture speaks of people being CALLED to celibacy, not being coerced into it. The point remains that all you are basing your perceptions on are some more or less ambiguous rules gleaned from some references to same sex activity, activity that in no way presents the idea of committed relationships. The point there is that you have set up rules that ignore the principle Jesus taught about being concerned for the well-being of everyone in any situation.
The problem is that Jesus taught the spiritual well-being was the only well-being that mattered. Do you ever wonder why Jesus didn't heal everyone? It's because His goal was not physical well-being, but teaching the way to spiritual well-being.

Read the words of Christ in Mark 8:
“If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul? For what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.”
Homosexual acts pervert God's perfect plan for marriage and sex. This is the reason why it is a sin against God, because it goes against what He created and how we are supposed to act. We love Him, so we want to please Him. He sacrificed infinitely for us, why is it beyond our reach to sacrifice for Him? If we love God, we should keep His commandments, as the Scripture teaches.

Also keep in mind what Jesus said before the above passage to Peter, who desired Jesus to have well-being here on Earth...
“Get behind Me, Satan; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”
The interest of man is physical well-being in this life, but God's interest lie beyond this life. It's important that we are focused on the right well-being.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:11 PM

10,072 posts, read 5,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Good grief, being gay is not a lifestyle, nor is it a behavior choice. Did you choose to be heterosexual? Let me offer you a challenge. Why don't you act gay for the next year? After all, according to your illogic, being heterosexual would be a behavior choice as well. So why not switch it up and see how the other 4% lives for the next 365 days? Then just snap your fingers and go back to being heterosexual. What, you can't do it? Why not? After all, being heterosexual is "only a lifestyle," isn't it?

I know it's not a choice. I'm a lesbian. I love my girlfriend to pieces. But I sure wouldn't choose to be gay because life is much more difficult. By being a lesbian, I have a much smaller selection of partners, I have no rights to marriage or other legal rights, no health insurance rights, no tax benefits, etc, etc. OTOH, by being around and talking to people about this, I get to chip away at the discrimination we still experience, if only a little.
Then why do most lesbians have a history of having male partners? Are bisexual people ones who just can't make up their minds?

If you are going to tell me that sexual orientation is ingrained at birth then I look at other forms of sexual immorality that most of society still agrees is wrong like being attracted to minors. Isn't a bit hypocritical to severely punish these people if they are simply acting out because of their hard wired sexual orientation? Oh yes, I know, you will say that's different because being gay doesn't cause harm like these people do. But if they are hard wired that way, they can't help their actions just like you are telling me that you can't help but be gay, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity