Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 09:22 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2014/0...-22-report.pdf

Did you see that? Nearly half. That's almost 50% of Americans agree with me on the issue of businesses. That alone shows that this is not a simple no argument issue. The study also doesn't seem to support the perception that the vast majority of Americans are rapidly approving of homosexuality.
Your link doesn't exist.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:22 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
That kind of close door mentality only shuts down any open discussion on the issue. Why not try to work towards a solution that can appease both sides? A wedding cake is not a basic service or need. That's a luxury.
So is Christian Dior dress. That store can't discriminate against a First Nations person because they don't like the race.

Quote:
But your side won't even acknowledge that there is an opposite argument. Since atheists often love to use the pew study against Christians, here is an interesting pew study finding:

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2014/0...-22-report.pdf

Did you see that? Nearly half. That's almost 50% of Americans agree with me on the issue of businesses. That alone shows that this is not a simple no argument issue. The study also doesn't seem to support the perception that the vast majority of Americans are rapidly approving of homosexuality.

So half of Americans are bigoted. So what? A lot of us here don't even acknowledge the word "sin". It means nothing, and does not relate to what is right or wrong. All it is, is a religious construct to say that the person has done something against a god that another person thinks is real.

Those of us who are rational do not acknowledge any gods, so why the heck would we acknowledge any sin????

Old 12-01-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, you do appear to be ignorant about the "gay lifestyle". Scroll down when you're ready to learn the truth about the gay lifestyle. (You might want to brace yourself... this stuff can be pretty shocking for the uninitiated.)

The gay lifestyle is holding down a job, paying taxes, shopping for food, taking the kids to a ballgame, having a beer with friends, going to the dentist, mowing the lawn, visiting Grandma, going to school.....

Sometimes....when they're feeling especially frisky..... they buy a lotto ticket!

Woo hoo.
I myself do occasionally partake in lotto ticket buying. It's a bit naughty I know, but sometimes you just gotta be wild.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:24 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
It doesn't. I'm just trying to show an example where you wouldn't like being put in the position of being forced to do something that is clearly wrong by your standards. Sorry you don't get that.
Sorry your argument didn't make your case.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:24 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, for starters I would file a lawsuit since that would be unconstitutional.

But businesses are bound by certain legal requirements in order to operate. A public business by definition caters to the public. That means you can't arbitrarily decide which segments of the public you wish to serve. Your product or service can discriminate so long as it's applied equally, but the people you service cannot be discriminated against.

In other words, if you own a bakery and a customer comes in asking for a wedding cake despite it not being on your menu of offerings, you can tell them your bakery does not produce wedding cakes.

What you can't do is advertise that your bakery does sell wedding cakes, but you refuse to provide them for blacks, Jews, or gays.
I'm well aware of the legal arguments on discrimination. Can you just get past that for once and look at the moral implications and understand why 50% of Americans are NOT ok with forcing Christians to compromise their morals and religious freedom so you can enjoy a wedding cake?

Old 12-01-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I'm well aware of the legal arguments on discrimination. Can you just get past that for once and look at the moral implications and understand why 50% of Americans are NOT ok with forcing Christians to compromise their morals and religious freedom so you can enjoy a wedding cake?
I find it more morally wrong to discriminate against people based on their innate sexual orientation. Does that mean my moral viewpoint trumps yours?

And your link didn't work. Have another one that proves your statistics? Even if true, what's your point? Tell them to take it up with the Supreme Court.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So is Christian Dior dress. That store can't discriminate against a First Nations person because they don't like the race.

So half of Americans are bigoted. So what? A lot of us here don't even acknowledge the word "sin". It means nothing, and does not relate to what is right or wrong. All it is, is a religious construct to say that the person has done something against a god that another person thinks is real.

Those of us who are rational do not acknowledge any gods, so why the heck would we acknowledge any sin????

And the other half apparently believe they can never be wrong about anything. That kind of mentality makes any debate completely pointless.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I find it more morally wrong to discriminate against people based on their innate sexual orientation. Does that mean my moral viewpoint trumps yours?

And your link didn't work. Have another one that proves your statistics? Even if true, what's your point? Tell them to take it up with the Supreme Court.
Sexual orientation is man made fiction. I base my morals on reality.

The link is valid. Do a google search on Public Sees Religion’s Influence Waning pew study sept. 22 2014.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, you do appear to be ignorant about the "gay lifestyle". Scroll down when you're ready to learn the truth about the gay lifestyle. (You might want to brace yourself... this stuff can be pretty shocking for the uninitiated.)

The gay lifestyle is holding down a job, paying taxes, shopping for food, taking the kids to a ballgame, having a beer with friends, going to the dentist, mowing the lawn, visiting Grandma, going to school.....

Sometimes....when they're feeling especially frisky..... they buy a lotto ticket!

Woo hoo.
Given the tonal nature of your rhetoric here, I have to discard anything you say to me as "truth"

Old 12-01-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
And the other half apparently believe they can never be wrong about anything. That kind of mentality makes any debate completely pointless.
Aren't you part of that group? Seeing as you said you're here to tell us all the truth, you apparently believe you can't be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity