Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 07:02 PM

951 posts, read 1,047,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Yes, we must repent? Have you? Have you reached sinless perfection? No? But you are still forgiven, right? Then why won't you allow a homosexual the same grace under God that you have, since even you are not sinless?

Because you've chosen to be the judge, and have not left it to God. You've chosen to weigh behavior as opposed to the heart which you cannot see.

With what judgment you mete out, it shall be returned to you.
I am not perfect but that's not the topic. You are transitioning from attacking a thought and since you can't win the argument you are shifting your attack on me and trying to prove I am not perfect which of course I am not.

Now more importantly homosexuality is a sin, an abominable sin, a capital crime according to the scriptures. You can't dodge or twist that fact.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:34 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,750,995 times
The Bible Does NOT Condemn Homosexuality

We can be confident that Paul was not writing to, or about, gay people, because he simply could not have been, any more than he could have written about smartphones, iPads, or televisions. We do not know what Paul might write or say today about gay people. All we know is that in the New Testament he wrote about promiscuous, predatory, non-consensual same-sex acts between people whom he understood to be heterosexual.

The Bible does condemn homosexual (and heterosexual) sex that is excessive, exploitive, and outside of marriage. It does not, however, address the state of homosexuality itself, much less the subject of homosexual acts between a married gay couple. Christians, therefore, have no Bible-based moral justification to condemn such acts.

Because there was no concept of gay marriage when the Bible was written, the Bible does not, and could not, address the sinfulness of homosexual acts within the context of gay marriage.
The Bible routinely, clearly, and strongly classifies all sex acts outside of the bonds of marriage as sinful. But, because when the Bible was written there was no concept of gay people—let alone, then, of gay marriage—the Bible does not, and could not, address the sinfulness of homosexual acts within the context of marriage.

By denying marriage equality to gay people, Christians are compelling gay couples to sin, because their intimacy must happen outside of marriage, and is therefore, by biblical definition, sinful. Christians, in other words, cause gay people to sin, and then blame the gay people for that sin. By any decent standard of morality that is manifestly and egregiously unfair.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:48 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,072,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
I am not perfect but that's not the topic. You are transitioning from attacking a thought and since you can't win the argument you are shifting your attack on me and trying to prove I am not perfect which of course I am not.

Now more importantly homosexuality is a sin, an abominable sin, a capital crime according to the scriptures. You can't dodge or twist that fact.
Rape victims are also to be put to death. Touching Mt. Sinai is a death sentence. Witches and wizards are to be put to death. I want to make that last point twice because it's funny. Harry Potter is to be killed in the Bible.

I mean, that's hilarious and you know? It's like having unicorns in the Bible!

Isaiah 37:4-- And the unicornss shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:32 PM

951 posts, read 1,047,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
The Bible Does NOT Condemn Homosexuality

We can be confident that Paul was not writing to, or about, gay people, because he simply could not have been, any more than he could have written about smartphones, iPads, or televisions. We do not know what Paul might write or say today about gay people. All we know is that in the New Testament he wrote about promiscuous, predatory, non-consensual same-sex acts between people whom he understood to be heterosexual.

The Bible does condemn homosexual (and heterosexual) sex that is excessive, exploitive, and outside of marriage. It does not, however, address the state of homosexuality itself, much less the subject of homosexual acts between a married gay couple. Christians, therefore, have no Bible-based moral justification to condemn such acts.

Because there was no concept of gay marriage when the Bible was written, the Bible does not, and could not, address the sinfulness of homosexual acts within the context of gay marriage.
The Bible routinely, clearly, and strongly classifies all sex acts outside of the bonds of marriage as sinful. But, because when the Bible was written there was no concept of gay people—let alone, then, of gay marriage—the Bible does not, and could not, address the sinfulness of homosexual acts within the context of marriage.

By denying marriage equality to gay people, Christians are compelling gay couples to sin, because their intimacy must happen outside of marriage, and is therefore, by biblical definition, sinful. Christians, in other words, cause gay people to sin, and then blame the gay people for that sin. By any decent standard of morality that is manifestly and egregiously unfair.
I disagree with your argument that the Bible differentiates homosexual acts in different contexts. Same sex is a sin, make no mistake of it and a same-sex marriage is that abominable sin multiplied.

Sex with animals is condemned. It doesn't matter if it is a pet or some farm animal. The sexual act of homosexuality and other sexual perversions are wrong no matter what the context.

When God orders the death of all the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah and the men of the city were trying to sodomize two angels who came to get Lot out of the city before the destruction, you know this is not an act of righteousness.

Genesis 19:
4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:

5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,

7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.

When God allowed the other tribes of Israel to practically wipe out the tribe of Benjamin after some evil men of the Gibeah tried to force a Levite to come out and have sex with them and who raped the man's concubine and she died the next morning, you know sodomy and rape are evil. No one should have any doubt.

Judges 19:
22 Now as they were making their hearts merry, behold, the men of the city, certain sons of Belial, beset the house round about, and beat at the door, and spake to the master of the house, the old man, saying, Bring forth the man that came into thine house, that we may know him.

23 And the man, the master of the house, went out unto them, and said unto them, Nay, my brethren, nay, I pray you, do not so wickedly; seeing that this man is come into mine house, do not this folly.

Now, the Bible does not make any distinction whatsoever about the context of homosexuality to determine if is a sin or not.

Moderator cut: Political remarks removed for the third time in this thread.

tthttf

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-19-2014 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: Political remarks removed for the third time

Old 10-18-2014, 08:50 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,750,995 times
Quote:
I disagree with your argument that the Bible differentiates homosexual acts in different contexts. Same sex is a sin, make no mistake of it and a same-sex marriage is that abominable sin multiplied.

tthttf
Where does it say in the Bible (the New Testament) that gay sex between 2 consenting adults who love each other is a sin? Where does it say that gay marriage is a sin?

Old 10-18-2014, 09:00 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,234,271 times
Quote:

Sex with animals is condemned. It doesn't matter if it is a pet or some farm animal. The sexual act of homosexuality and other sexual perversions are wrong no matter what the context.

When God orders the death of all the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah and the men of the city were trying to sodomize two angels who came to get Lot out of the city before the destruction, you know this is not an act of righteousness.

Genesis 19:
4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:

5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

When God allowed the other tribes of Israel to practically wipe out the tribe of Benjamin after some evil men of the Gibeah tried to force a Levite to come out and have sex with them and who raped the man's concubine and she died the next morning, you know sodomy and rape are evil. No one should have any doubt.

Judges 19:
22 Now as they were making their hearts merry, behold, the men of the city, certain sons of Belial, beset the house round about, and beat at the door, and spake to the master of the house, the old man, saying, Bring forth the man that came into thine house, that we may know him.

23 And the man, the master of the house, went out unto them, and said unto them, Nay, my brethren, nay, I pray you, do not so wickedly; seeing that this man is come into mine house, do not this folly.

Now, the Bible does not make any distinction whatsoever about the context of homosexuality to determine if is a sin or not.

tthttf
This is exactly why we don't need religious nut jobs making our laws and poisoning our schools.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-19-2014 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: Had to edit quote

Old 10-18-2014, 09:17 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,665,557 times
Quote:
Sorry, but you definitely need to study the Bible more and not other men's thoughts/comments on the Book. Homosexuality is a sin and unless one repents of this sin and other sins and receives God's Holy Spirit their fate is ultimately the 2nd Death in the Lake of Fire.
As is your fate by judging them, because Jesus promised that by the same measure you judge others you will be judged.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:29 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,234,271 times
Quote:

Genesis 19:

Judges 19:

tthttf
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the true face of the Religious Right in the United States.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-19-2014 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: Edited quote

Old 10-18-2014, 09:33 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,665,557 times
Quote:

It's not about SINNING. I sin also. We all sin. It IS about your judging other sinners when Jesus Christ Himself said that that was reserved for God the Father. And the only sinners He ever judged according to the gospels, were the Pharisees that spent an inordinate amount of time justifying themselves (as wondrous students of the Bible of their time) and condemning those who did not see scripture as they saw it. That's what ultimately led Jesus to the cross. He didn't interpret scripture in the narrow, judgmental way that you and those of your ilk are doing.

Get that plank out of your eye. Whatever sin you have committed is no less foul than anyone else's sins. Your "belief" is for naught because you are not following Jesus commandments. He said DON'T JUDGE. And you will claim you are proclaiming "God's judgment," but you aren't even coming close. Did Jesus die for gay people? Yet you condemn them, spitting upon the very act of grace that God gave to everyone.

Get out and show your faith by going to live among gay people, go to their hangouts, eat with them, listen to their stories about the oppression and hate they feel from people spouting your nonsense. It's what Jesus would do. And when He was done He would spend a good deal of time finger-pointing at you, and those like you. Jesus stood up for those who were oppressed, those who were powerless, those who had little and what little they had was being taken away by self-righteous Saducees and Pharisees. Writing as you do puts you in the modern group of those religious types. Because of the evil that you spout people are killing themselves because they are gay, because you hate them and many hate themselves. They just want to be people first and not an object of scorn. No matter how you cut the mustard, no matter what you or I or anyone thinks about gay marriage or relationships, Jesus just wouldn't stand by and see people beat up and dying because of who they are. But you do!!

Reading the Bible has done you no good at all. It hasn't made any difference in how you view other people. You are still dividing them between good and bad, right and wrong, acceptable or unacceptable. But Jesus sees us all in EXACTLY THE SAME LIGHT, as sinners needing a savior. You may say faith is what is needed, but in fact you state that ceasing a sexual practice is what is needed--faith is secondary. And I don't believe either of those. What is needed is someone who puts into practice what Jesus put into practice, mercy and not sacrifice, goodness and not mean-heartedness, acceptance and not rejection. The holy spirit does His work in His own way and in His own time frame. You are not called to protect the image of God's holiness, you are called to practice His love among those who aren't loved. The most abominable sin on this thread in Jesus' eyes, is the one you are practicing in judging others.

For the present the handwriting is on the wall, and you are found wanting.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 10-18-2014 at 09:41 PM..

Old 10-18-2014, 09:36 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,093,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
Where does it say in the Bible (the New Testament) that gay sex between 2 consenting adults who love each other is a sin? Where does it say that gay marriage is a sin?
Where dies the bible in the OT or NT say gay marriage is okay in the eyes of God?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity