Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 10:31 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Polygamy was allowed at one point in our nation but then the restriction was added.
No, it was not. Mormons had to give up the practice of polygamy for Utah to become a state.

Quote:
So if I can't have a break to breastfeed my child since I am not a woman, is that gender discrimination too?
There aren't any laws saying men may not breastfeed their child.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:32 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,977,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So you are not a "voter" or a "citizen". Right?

Both of those words were redefined to allow you to be consider as such.
The answer to those questions are deeper. Those words are defined by law because they have meaning only by the establishment of this country. The concept of marriage preceeds this country. You can't be a citizen or a voter without a country but you could have been married before this country. Again, the question is, what is the origin of how we defined that word, marriage.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I asked you to answer the question, not analyze the question. I will give jjrose credit, in spite of her disagreement she is at least attempting a dialogue.
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Old 10-24-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Before it becomes a law how do you draw the conclusion that it needs to be a law? Where does that come from?
The US Constitution.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:35 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
The answer to those questions are deeper. Those words are defined by law because they have meaning only by the establishment of this country. The concept of marriage preceeds this country. You can't be a citizen or a voter without a country but you could have been married before this country. Again, the question is, what is the origin of how we defined that word, marriage.
In my native culture same sex marriage was allowed. Who says what you decide is the definition of marriage is the right one?
You do not own the word marriage. If you think that words never change meaning, you're nice (original meaning of the word, not the current definition).

Old 10-24-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
So if parents are denied the right to marry their children, then based on what you are saying, they should have the legal right to, so that they have the same rights as everyone else?
Everyone does have the same rights regarding marrying their children.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
A break to breast feed when you are not physically able to is not discrimination. I could not physically breast feed my first child, I didn't get breaks to do so.

The polygamy restriction applies to everyone, not just men, or just whites, or just women. Law applies equally.

Marriage to first cousins is applied equally in those states. Men can marry their first cousins, so can women, so can whites, blacks, Christians, Republicans, atheists. Law applied equally.
It's not discrimination because it is under stood that it can't be done. There is an inherent difference between men and women so there are obviously certain things that cannot be applied equally. At one point marriage was viewed similarly.

Race =/= Sexual Orientation

Old 10-24-2014, 10:40 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
It's not discrimination because it is under stood that it can't be done. There is an inherent difference between men and women so there are obviously certain things that cannot be applied equally. At one point marriage was viewed similarly.

Race does equal gender according to the laws of this country.

There is not one part of a legal civil marriage that is dependent on the gender of the people involved.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
No one has the right to marry their children. Men can not marry their children, women can't, whites can't Christians can't Deomcrats, can't blacks can't, Muslims can't. Law applied equally.
But you aren't explaining why they should not be allowed. The law is not a reason. I am asking you what would the reason for such a law be based on.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:

It is applied equally. If you are breastfeeding, you may have a breastfeeding break. If you are not breastfeeding, you may not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.