Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:21 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,433,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Not only is the "rest of the story" not mentioned. It is ignored. It makes the "bad" guys look fair.

Our resident "find another story to outrage and make Christians fearful" has struck again.

Wonder if she posted a lot about abortion clinic bombers or murders of doctors stories? No? Because some outrageous actions are blessed by God?
Has anybody ever told you that you have a bad habit of telling people what they think? Probably just me in another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 11:22 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,665,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
The difference could be (not saying this makes the Commandments statue destruction right) that Indigenous Americans have not attempted - and many times succeeded - to force their beliefs on the public as a whole, which does take away civil liberties.

Again, not saying there can really be a legitimate "out" for people wanting to destroy property, BUT I have to think that had/has something to do with the fact that no, you probably won't see Native American references being torn down, at least today (that hasn't really happened since it was performed by the "good Christians" attempting to stamp out the devilish Native Americans, something that is, thank God, part of the past, or I hope it is).

Christianity traditionally has not sought to merely express itself, but to dominate and to insinuate itself into culture, education, morals, laws and so on...which is probably what makes it a hair touchier to many people than, say, Buddhism, Judaism, Wicca, etc., etc. Unfortunately, because of the actions and overall attitude of Christians throughout history, we can not overall trust that public Biblical icons and statues are placed there without an ulterior motive of domination/insinuation any more. We'd have to either be dumb as stumps or have VERY short memories (and no history education) in order for that trust to be put back in place.

Now if Christians had acted differently historically (and today), that fear wouldn't be in there. This would have just been an expression of someone's own beliefswithout any hidden agenda and that would most likely be that. Sadly, Christians have been the Children Who Cried Wolf...we no longer can believe such structures as the Ten Commandments in this news story could lack a control motive. And yes, that is sad.

So although there's really no reason that would make the destruction of religious representations fair (at least IMO), those going about this thread with figurative shocked and sorrowful faces and extreme hurt are kind of lampooning (and, I feel, kidding - whether overtly or subconsciously) themselves. I mean come on, people. Let's be real about overall "innocence" here. Nobody came along a quite park and kicked a Bible out of some little kid's hands here. A big ol' honkin "Lookie here - we are STILL 'THE' religion" statue was put up. People who have been under the yoke of that religion in virtually every aspect of their lives for perhaps decades freaked out. The one person who did ultimately not only freak out but did the actual destruction? Someone who does believe in the Judeo-Christian construct, not someone rallying against it (the devil literally made him do it, according to his story). As far as shocked hurt and a call for injustice, you've got nothin'. I am sorry.
Unfortunately there is a fundamentalist movement among Judaists, too. One of them posted that the First Amendment is "bad," apparently it is used to protect the speech and religion ( or lack of religion) of too many heretics.

In many nations there is a rise of fundamentalist religion whether Christian, Jewish, or Muslim accompanied by increasing social divisions, lack of respect for people with views differing views, and attempts to control the lives of those "other" people. No matter what name they call themselves they worship the same god of violence and oppression.

The anti-Christ is rising in the guise of holiness.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately there is a fundamentalist movement among Judaists, too. One of them posted that the First Amendment is "bad," apparently it is used to protect the speech and religion ( or lack of religion) of too many heretics.

In many nations there is a rise of fundamentalist religion whether Christian, Jewish, or Muslim accompanied by increasing social divisions, lack of respect for people with views differing views, and attempts to control the lives of those "other" people. No matter what name they call themselves they worship the same god of violence and oppression.

The anti-Christ is rising in the guise of holiness.

The only "anti-Christ" I see a lot of these days are people who want to go against what Christ taught and twist it to support whatever they want to do. If you have priests or ministers who preach against such actions they are called bullies and intolerant. There is a lot of that going on but Christ told his followers that would happen.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Has anybody ever told you that you have a bad habit of telling people what they think? Probably just me in another thread.
I'm sorry, I hadn't realized I accused you of thinking at all.

What I accuse you of is posting thread after thread of stories that are inflammatory and which attempt to enrage fundamentalists more than they already are. And let me give you what you may want to consider a compliment even though it is not intended to be---it appears all too frequently to work. But go back to my last post if you want to understand why.

God bless, and goodnight.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I hadn't realized I accused you of thinking at all.

What I accuse you of is posting thread after thread of stories that are inflammatory and which attempt to enrage fundamentalists more than they already are. And let me give you what you may want to consider a compliment even though it is not intended to be---it appears all to frequently too work. But go back to my last post if you want to understand why.

God bless, and goodnight.
It's not meant to incite but to share stories about Christians and what is going on today. A lot of it should make Christians peeved if not outright upset. By the way I cannot control anyone's feelings, they chose to do that. Plus no one needs to real what I post.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:33 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,054,438 times
Great statement by the ACLU:

"While we have and continue to seek the removal of the Ten Commandments monument from the Capitol grounds through the judicial process, the Ten Commandments constitute a strong foundation in our clients’ deeply held religious beliefs. To see the Ten Commandments desecrated by vandals is highly offensive to them as people of faith. Our Oklahoma and Federal Constitutions seek to create a society in which people of all faiths and those of no faith at all can coexist as equals without fear of repressions from the government or their neighbors. Whether it is politicians using religion as a political tool or vandals desecrating religious symbols, neither are living up to the full promise of our founding documents."

Old 10-27-2014, 11:36 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,329,056 times
How is this something appropriate to have been put up on public property 2 years ago in the first place?
  1. “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.
  2. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
  3. “You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
  4. “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
  5. “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you.
  6. “You shall not murder.
  7. “You shall not commit adultery.
  8. “You shall not steal.
  9. “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
  10. “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

Old 10-27-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

"While we have and continue to seek the removal of the Ten Commandments monument from the Capitol grounds through the judicial process, the Ten Commandments constitute a strong foundation in our clients’ deeply held religious beliefs. To see the Ten Commandments desecrated by vandals is highly offensive to them as people of faith. Our Oklahoma and Federal Constitutions seek to create a society in which people of all faiths and those of no faith at all can coexist as equals without fear of repressions from the government or their neighbors. Whether it is politicians using religion as a political tool or vandals desecrating religious symbols, neither are living up to the full promise of our founding documents."
This is a GREAT post. Maybe our fundamentalists who like to feel so persecuted will learn from it.

Then again, it may be against their religion. Too soon to rep you again.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

So on the one hand they seek to remove the Ten Commandants but they also want people to coexist? If you insult one group does that mean you must insult all groups, just to be fair mind you?

It's good they came out and decried the vandalism though.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:58 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,875,433 times
Quote:
Oh my gosh, and how many Jews are in the world?

By contrast, how many Christians?

I don't think you need to be every nervous about this.

However, people DO need to be nervous that Christian "movements" will affect millions and millions (and do, and have).

World religions pie chart: Hint...Judaism is the tiny lavender sliver you can barely read and which didn't even earn black letters, they're put in there in light blue, kind of like they were an afterthought, goodness knows why. Christianity is that giant screamin' electric-green thing, that, in addition to obviously already being the largest slice, was also strategically placed on top because otherwise we could never have gotten the domination aspect all by ourselves. It wasn't easy enough to figure it out just based on its overwhelming portion size and limeade color.

Last edited by JerZ; 10-28-2014 at 12:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity