Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 04:01 PM

24 posts, read 76,954 times

Advertisements

btw, I forgot to mention that even some sports are prohibited like boxing. I wanted to take boxing back as a kid and my parents talked to the pastor about it and said it was against the 7th day Adventist church and they asked what if it's just a punching bag I'm punching, he said it's still not allowed since I will be expressing anger and imagining fighting someone and even if I'm not it's still violent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 07:43 PM

381 posts, read 638,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The Catholic Church may be strict, but most Catholics are quite liberal, laid back, and very relaxed. And now we have a Pope that is also laid back.
I have encountered some very conservative, almost militant Catholics. But I agree that most are not that way.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:53 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,157,873 times
Strictest Denominations or Church?

Those that do not allow you to think, or experience things for yourself.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:52 AM

17,919 posts, read 24,172,210 times
Where I grew up Catholics were often uptight. Widows wore black for the rest of their lives, Dungeons and Dragons and Black Sabbath was EVIL! and stuff like that.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:46 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,268,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Where I grew up Catholics were often uptight. Widows wore black for the rest of their lives, Dungeons and Dragons and Black Sabbath was EVIL! and stuff like that.
Sounds like the 12th century

Where I grew up Catholics had a jolly time getting drunk at the local pub.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,287 times
Old time Missionary Baptist.
Fire and brimstone preaching...very very loud. Again no drinking, swearing, gambling, rude behavior, smoking, certain movies and shows are out. The butt whoopin kind of rearing, for children. The roll your eyes and get smacked, aka no disrespect to elders. KJV ONLY. old hymns only. No prmarrital sex. No prmarrital occupancy.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:54 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,867,483 times
Amish
Orthodox Jews
Hutterites
Mennonites
Shia Muslims
Seven Day Adventists

Old 04-05-2016, 12:16 PM

9,588 posts, read 4,982,295 times
All they are is people hanging onto their "fragment" for dear life. Some people eventually get tired of hanging onto the same fragment, and find another one to hang onto. Some never do get tired of that same fragment.

Compare with the Israelites who were supposed to move when the cloud moved. As long as they were stopped with the Rock supplying water, oases sprung up all around them and life was good, their needs were met.

Occasionally, when the cloud said move, some refused to move, not fully realizing that without the Rock for a foundation and the Cloud for a covering, pretty soon they'd be alone in a dry hot desert again just like any other unfortunate wanderer, and death would come swiftly. The rebellious walk through dry places indeed.

Among mere men, all religions are based upon one mortal man's experience. But if our experience is based upon the One who is immortal, it's all encompassing and all enfolding and consumes all the other's experiences, refining them as gold is refined, and quickening them into one like the son of man. Peace

Old 04-05-2016, 12:22 PM

323 posts, read 373,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
All they are is people hanging onto their "fragment" for dear life. Some people eventually get tired of hanging onto the same fragment, and find another one to hang onto. Some never do get tired of that same fragment.

Compare with the Israelites who were supposed to move when the cloud moved. As long as they were stopped with the Rock supplying water, oases sprung up all around them and life was good, their needs were met.

Occasionally, when the cloud said move, some refused to move, not fully realizing that without the Rock for a foundation and the Cloud for a covering, pretty soon they'd be alone in a dry hot desert again just like any other unfortunate wanderer, and death would come swiftly. The rebellious walk through dry places indeed.

Among mere men, all religions are based upon one mortal man's experience. But if our experience is based upon the One who is immortal, it's all encompassing and all enfolding and consumes all the other's experiences, refining them as gold is refined, and quickening them into one like the son of man. Peace
That's good stuff, worth thinking about for sure. Nicely done Rbbi1.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:31 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,734,581 times
Independent Fundamental Baptists.

Even other evangelicals and fundamentalists think they are extreme. Here are a few IFB distinctives.

- KJV is the only inspired Bible
- Literal interpretation of Scripture from cover to cover
- Doctrine of separation; Christians are not to be in close association with non-believers
- Strongly encourage corporal punishment
- Opposition to birth control (many IFB families are "Quiverfull" families)
- Strict dress codes for men and women
- Strong emphasis on gender norms and conformity
- Opposition to all secular pop culture no matter the content
- Opposition to public education
- No tolerance policy towards alcohol or any other psychoactive substance
- Politically active; strong focus on abortion and homosexuality. Most support the Republican Party and believe its a sin to not
- Stronger focus on homosexuality than typical evangelicals
- Some have abusive and controlling pastors

Last edited by bawac34618; 04-05-2016 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity