Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 04:34 PM

24 posts, read 76,930 times

Advertisements

Which Christian denominations are the strictest? I grew up as a 7th Day Adventist. Ellen G White wrote a lot of books. In one she talks about roller coasters? She says if you die in one you will not to go to heaven. In my church they would preach about movies and said going to a movie theater is a sin since most of those movies lead to temptation and it's not praising God and are misleading. So no drinking, no smoking, no dancing--- they said it's sexual, no hip hop or rock music, no concerts, no cursing, no reading fictional books, no reading not even true crime books because they contain a lot of violence in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 06:30 PM

27,860 posts, read 29,668,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauricioCantos View Post
Which Christian denominations are the strictest? I grew up as a 7th Day Adventist. Ellen G White wrote a lot of books. In one she talks about roller coasters? She says if you die in one you will not to go to heaven. In my church they would preach about movies and said going to a movie theater is a sin since most of those movies lead to temptation and it's not praising God and are misleading. So no drinking, no smoking, no dancing--- they said it's sexual, no hip hop or rock music, no concerts, no cursing, no reading fictional books, no reading not even true crime books because they contain a lot of violence in them.
Mormonism ranks right up there -- but it apparently doesn't even approach the Seventh Day Adventists. I'd actually describe it more as "demanding" than as "strict" because a lot is expected of us.

As far as being strict goes... We're supposed to dress modestly, not swear or talk crudely, not smoke or drink, be selective in the kinds of entertainment we choose (although it's pretty much left up to our own consciences), and attend three hours of worship service each Sunday.

I used to like to talk to a Catholic friend of mine at work. We'd always joke around about which of our denominations was the most guilt-producing. We both claimed to be the winner.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,232,213 times
Quote:
Strict in teaching or practice?

Old 10-25-2014, 09:00 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,266,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Mormonism ranks right up there -- but it apparently doesn't even approach the Seventh Day Adventists. I'd actually describe it more as "demanding" than as "strict" because a lot is expected of us.

As far as being strict goes... We're supposed to dress modestly, not swear or talk crudely, not smoke or drink, be selective in the kinds of entertainment we choose (although it's pretty much left up to our own consciences), and attend three hours of worship service each Sunday.

I used to like to talk to a Catholic friend of mine at work. We'd always joke around about which of our denominations was the most guilt-producing. We both claimed to be the winner.
The Catholic Church may be strict, but most Catholics are quite liberal, laid back, and very relaxed. And now we have a Pope that is also laid back.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:24 PM

27,860 posts, read 29,668,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
And now we have a Pope that is also laid back.
Francis is too awesome for words.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:04 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,835,198 times
IMHO, Conservative Lutherans are the strictest, imho. But what is needed is an explanation. These Lutheran's tend to be very serious about sticking to what the Bible teaches, without adding to it or taking away from it. So, we don't teach that tithing is required or that alcohol is a sin, simply because the NT does not teach these things. Therefore we are not legalistic or pietistic. We believe the Bible is the inerrant inspirited word of Almighty God, so we teach it and try to live by it. Therefore we also try to teach very clearly also that salvation is a gift from God to all who put their trust in Jesus Christ, who alone paid for our sins on the cross and rose again on Easter.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:14 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,415,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
IMHO, Conservative Lutherans are the strictest, imho. But what is needed is an explanation. These Lutheran's tend to be very serious about sticking to what the Bible teaches, without adding to it or taking away from it. So, we don't teach that tithing is required or that alcohol is a sin, simply because the NT does not teach these things. Therefore we are not legalistic or pietistic. We believe the Bible is the inerrant inspirited word of Almighty God, so we teach it and try to live by it. Therefore we also try to teach very clearly also that salvation is a gift from God to all who put their trust in Jesus Christ, who alone paid for our sins on the cross and rose again on Easter.
Amen pastor.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:39 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,866,823 times
Probably the Lehrerleut Hutterites.

Followed by the Schmiedeleut, and then probably the Dariusleut.

Not mainstream, but think Amish.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:30 AM

16,583 posts, read 15,502,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
So people know, can you explain which Lutherans our mean with your phrase "Conservative Lutherans?" I don't know enough to do it myself, but I know there is a huge difference between Lutheran churches associated with the ELCA and those associated with the Missouri Synod. I think there may be other groups too.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:13 PM

15,072 posts, read 6,102,037 times
Seventh-day Adventist Christianity simply seeks to follow God through His Scriptures and does not discard His law. Guess that may make it qualify as one of the strictest...

Quote:
The problem with some people is that they do not understand context. In what book did EGW discuss roller coasters and that you will not go to heaven in one? The issue is the content of the movie itself - not whether or not it is viewed in the theater. Some people miss that. Years ago, the theaters were considered inappropriate because of the types of activities that often occurred. As far as the rest of the list, plenty of those are Biblically-based and some of those things have to do with your particular church or culture...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity