U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:30 PM

2,289 posts, read 3,739,426 times

Advertisements

Greetings All~

This may seem like a rather trivial--or even provocotive--question, but I'm hoping that some application of thought, reason and Biblical soundness might make it a deeper and more reflective question.

In his flesh, what color was Christ? I ask because in 2008 America, we still see Jesus as a blue-eyed man of European look, with brownish-blonde hair and a very fair (white) complexion. In some Latin American countries, Christ is seen as a dark-skinned man with curly black or dark brown hair.

The Bible speaks of Christ--albeit figuratively--as having skin the color of bronze and hair like lamb's wool. Since tanning salons and perms weren't around back then, I'm gonna guess that neither Christ nor his parents or disciples were caucasian.

Yet that is how He is most commonly depicted. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 03:34 PM

3,434 posts, read 6,700,862 times
Well..Christ was Jewish, so he would have the same physical attributes as a Jewish male would.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:38 PM

12,399 posts, read 15,045,437 times
I agree with Arguy..Jesus was a purebred jewish man, so he looked Jewish...

Old 12-31-2007, 03:41 PM

14,724 posts, read 16,428,103 times
Like Santa Claus, i think different cultures "see" Jesus in their own image.

When it comes down to it, he probably looked like a stereotypical semitic guy.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I agree with Arguy..Jesus was a purebred jewish man, so he looked Jewish...
Well, this man is Jewish.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Like Santa Claus, i think different cultures "see" Jesus in their own image.

When it comes down to it, he probably looked like a stereotypical semitic guy.
I see your point; except I would hope that Jesus' image required a little more historical depiction than Santa Claus.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:10 PM

34,205 posts, read 11,418,346 times
The jews and the other semetic people (arabs) are the same racial stock. He might have looked a great deal like Osama Bin Laden, or Yassah Arafat.

The men who painted the masterpieces, depicted Jesus to look like their patrons, European, some Italian, Flemish, French, Dutch etc.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:16 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,019,781 times
The simple answer is that people have tended to depict Christ as similar to themselves. When I was in Finland, I saw a painting of Christ in which he was standing by a lake surrounded by birch trees. He had light brown hair, fair skin, and blue eyes. Many depctions of Christ that we see in the USA were made by northern Europeans, hence the somewhat European appearance in most pictures.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:18 PM

8,501 posts, read 11,190,315 times
Jesus was a Middle Eastern Jew. He had brown skin, dark hair, and a beard.

Honestly though...

I have no big problem with other cultures painting or sculpting Jesus to reflect their culture. I have no problem with European art that expresses Jesus as a European, African art that expresses Jesus as an African, Asian art...etc. You get my point. It is that particular culture's way of loving Jesus and proclaiming, "He died for us." Nothing wrong with that.

It's when people start trying to claim that Jesus was white (like some radical forms of American evangelicals) or Jesus was black (like Louis Farrakhan), that they cross the line into I'm A Loon territory.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:20 PM

3,020 posts, read 1,775,702 times
Does color mean that much to you?? here is a Description of Jesus by Pulius Lentulus, Governor of Judea, addressed to Tiberius Ceasar, Emperor of Rome, Found in an excavated city written in Aramaic on stone.....
"There lives, at this time, in Judea, a man of singular virtue whose name is Jesus Christ, whom the barbarians esteem as a prophet, but his followers love and adore him as the offspring of the immortal God. He calls back the dead from the graves and heals all sorts of diseases with a word or a touch.
He is a tall man, and well shaped, of an amiable and reverend aspect; his hair of a color that can hardly be matched, the color of chestnut full ripe, falling in waves about his shoulders. His forehead high, large and imposing; his cheeks without spot or wrinkle, beautiful with a lovely red; his nose and mouth formed with exquisite symmetry; his beard thick and of a color suitable to his hair reaching below his chin. His eyes bright blue; clear and serene, look innocent, dignified, manly, and mature. In proportion of body, most perfect and captivating, his hands and arms most delectable to behold.
He rebukes with majesty, counsels with mildness, his whole address, whether in word or deed, being eloquent and grave. No man has seen him laugh, yet his manner is exceedingly pleasant; but he has wept in the presence of men. He is temperate, modest and wise; a man, for his extrordinary beauty and divine perfections, surpassing the children of men in every sense."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity