Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:59 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondD View Post
This is a sincere area of concern for me. I am deeply drawn to the life and teachings and beauty of Jesus. I am just as deeply offended by most Christian churches and Christian religion. I just can't join a church that preaches so much judgement and fear and hatred, when the essence of Jesus' teaching is love and acceptance and peace, that we are all one.

So it appears to me that the teachings of Jesus and the relationship with Jesus is available to anyone anywhere regardless of church membership or whether they call themselves a Christian. I have an ongoing, personal, deeply nurturing relationship with the Christ, but I do not call myself a Christian. How do Christians see people like me who say yes to Jesus, but no to the Christian religion?

This is a sincere desire to understand, not trying to attack or fight, just make sense of this topic. Thank you and blessings to all.
The essence of a Christian is his spiritual health. How do we evaluate "spiritual health"?

Jesus is the halmark of spirituality. His legacey is with us today because of two things... His service and His love. His service born from love, manifested by faith... produced sacrifice. Accepting this formula we can claim to be Christian without the religious designation so many need, if we also accept the free gift of salvation. I believe you have. We do not need religion to approach God... we are all a "royal priesthood" and have the right to stand before a righteous and holy God because of our relationship with Jesus. There is no Judgement from God... that is a task asigned to Jesus who has aquitted us.

Judgement that comes from the mouth of man is false. Jesus said "stand behind me satan" so too... we must dismiss and condemnation from man. However.... Conviction is inside of us and is of the Spirit... so pay heed to this.

You will find at some point along your journey a sense of joining, or a need to help others. This will be an opportunity to display your spiritual fruit... so Grab hold of it, and allow the Holy Spirit to guide you. Accountability is very important... joining with another believer, to be as "iron sharpens iron". Our spirit should be tested by another who we feel comfortable with. We should always test the spirits.

Faithfully cling to Jesus, He is the corner stone... and from here you can build your faith.

PS... remember the "Church" isn't a religion or a building... it's all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 10:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Default Excellent post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The essence of a Christian is his spiritual health. How do we evaluate "spiritual health"?

Jesus is the halmark of spirituality. His legacey is with us today because of two things... His service and His love. His service born from love, manifested by faith... produced sacrifice. Accepting this formula we can claim to be Christian without the religious designation so many need, if we also accept the free gift of salvation. I believe you have. We do not need religion to approach God... we are all a "royal priesthood" and have the right to stand before a righteous and holy God because of our relationship with Jesus. There is no Judgement from God... that is a task asigned to Jesus who has aquitted us.

Judgement that comes from the mouth of man is false. Jesus said "stand behind me satan" so too... we must dismiss and condemnation from man. However.... Conviction is inside of us and is of the Spirit... so pay heed to this.

You will find at some point along your journey a sense of joining, or a need to help others. This will be an opportunity to display your spiritual fruit... so Grab hold of it, and allow the Holy Spirit to guide you. Accountability is very important... joining with another believer, to be as "iron sharpens iron". Our spirit should be tested by another who we feel comfortable with. We should always test the spirits.

Faithfully cling to Jesus, He is the corner stone... and from here you can build your faith.

PS... remember the "Church" isn't a religion or a building... it's all of us.
This was insightful and comforting. I just wanted to thank you for sharing that as it was uplifting and meaningful for others, not just the OP.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:36 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,706 times
Quote:
This is a sincere area of concern for me. I am deeply drawn to the life and teachings and beauty of Jesus. I am just as deeply offended by most Christian churches and Christian religion. I just can't join a church that preaches so much judgement and fear and hatred, when the essence of Jesus' teaching is love and acceptance and peace, that we are all one.

So it appears to me that the teachings of Jesus and the relationship with Jesus is available to anyone anywhere regardless of church membership or whether they call themselves a Christian. I have an ongoing, personal, deeply nurturing relationship with the Christ, but I do not call myself a Christian. How do Christians see people like me who say yes to Jesus, but no to the Christian religion?

This is a sincere desire to understand, not trying to attack or fight, just make sense of this topic. Thank you and blessings to all.
Interesting post...

Just a question.. what is your definition of "Christian"?

As HistoryAsIs posted:

Quote:
a christian simple means follower of the teachings of Jesus.
I agree! As has been stated on this board many times... but I think it bears repeating.. Christians were originally given that name because they were obviously following Christ. They didn't call themselves "Christians." That same test applies today! Many, many people are turned off of "Christianity" because many "Christians" appear to be Christians in name only. I shouldn't have to label myself as a Christian.. others should be able to see that I am following Jesus.

So back to your OP, being a Christian and following Jesus are one and the same. You can't have one and not the other. Jesus' all-inclusive message has nothing to do with hatred and fear, but it does include "taking up the cross"! It's not easy.. but well worth it.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:40 AM

5 posts, read 13,708 times
Hi and Happy New Year to you. My opinion, as a Christian, is that your relationship with Jesus is between you and him. I happen to like my chuch very much, but I firmly believe you do not have to go to a church to be in a right relationship with the Lord.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:25 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,912 times
Quote:

I know u did not mean to be funny, but I laughed when I read your thread because I think a lot of people feel the way u feel. I think the title of "Christian" has been thrown around so much it is hard to grasp what it really means. I sometimes refer to myself as a Christian Believer. I don't know what the answer is, but I wish u well.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:59 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
Quote:

"Christian" is a title, nothing more. As Sun Queen said, that word has been thrown around a great deal. There really is not a great deal to commend it, given the oft-times ugly history of the church. Jesus is not about religion, and he never was. During his time on earth, no one was called a Christian. They were followers of Jesus. If you are a follower/ believer of Jesus, then I wouldn't worry about the rest of it. No sense in twisting your tail in a knot, (as the saying goes), over what other people think.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:24 PM

364 posts, read 765,879 times
Acts 11:26 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV) Public Domain

26And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:00 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Because of the many, many rules and laws and misconceptioms and arguements over who is right and who is wrong, what this or that verse really means..I prefer to just call myself a "believer"..I am a believer in Christ and His teachings and His Father, who is the almighty God and I believe there is a Holy Spirit that dwells within, that was a gift from Christ to guide, direct, comfort and teach me..I believe that if I hold to the teachings of Christ and His commandment of love that perhaps one day I will be granted everlasting life in a place He is preparing for His "Church" that He has promised to present to God as the bride of Christ..I believe that God is pure love and has nothing to do with the evil on the earth..I don't believe that God punishes us or puts us through tests..(we were given that choice)I don't believe there is an eternity of hellfire for unbelievers or believers who are sinful at their death. According to some of the definitions I have read of a Christian since I came to cd 10 months ago, I am not a "real" christian anyway..I believe that I will see many people who were in various religions, and beliefs in the afterlife ...

Old 01-01-2008, 08:47 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
Acts 11:26 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV) Public Domain

26And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
If this is in reference to my earlier post, that people were not called Christians, during the time that Jesus was on the earth, I stand by my statement. The passage you are refering to in Acts, occurred after Jesus had ascended. When Jesus walked the earth, the people were not Christians, they were followers. To me, (although I also use the terminology, out of habit as much as anything), "Christian" is a noun; "follower" is a verb.

Blue, I like your thinking, as usual.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:57 PM

21 posts, read 196,612 times
Default great post

Christianity is a label originally giving to those that followed the teachings of Jesus. However, as time has worn on, different connotations and definitions have arisen based on the actions of Christians. Many Christians (more fundamentalist ones) believe that judgment is their's to deliver. The actions of these folks often appears hateful and vengeful. Other believers believe judgment is the Lord's alone, and focus on love, redemption and mercy. I've noticed many of my friends who are Lutheran and Methodist, for example, fall into this latter category and are tired of being lumped in with the fundamentalists of the Christian faith through the use of the term "Christian." So, they often refer to their denomination in terms of religious. I do not belong to a denomination, but agree with this view and consider myself a follower of Christ and one of his children. I will not be lumped in with the far right and their judgment, which goes against the authority (or lack thereof) given by the Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity