Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 06:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I've been to Four Corners, New Mexico (junction of New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, and Utah, if memory serves)

Does that count?
Yep as that is indeed the 4 corners here in the Ole USA.

Why people demand that allegory be something else, shows the weakness of their position.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Which do you think is more likely - that scientists, with all of the technology at their disposal, are off by a factor of 1 million - or that the Bible, which was based on word-of-mouth stories that originated with unknown middle-eastern tribesmen, just may be misinterpreted today?
How about science and the Bible agree on the earth and universe being very old.

Yep the the author of Genesis agrees with an extended time period for creation. He knows it. after all He was there. Some men disagree with Him, but hey they just show the tribesmen were wiser than they are.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:04 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
The laws of physics actually deny a 4.5 billion year old earth. The moon would have been much closer and would have caused huge tides. The strength of the magnetic field would have been so strong that that alone would have destroyed life. The earth would have experienced such strong winds as would have swept everything away. The earth would have turned so fast that centrifugal force would have thrown everything into space.

Also, there is not nearly enough mud and silt in the oceans and the salinity of the oceans deny an old earth.
Oh, for pete's sake. Where are you finding all this nonsense, or are you just making it up on your own? You know, I asked you the other day to substantiate your assertions about the Beringian migration and the bible being the authority for a spherical Earth, but you didn't back that stuff up either.

So what's the story? Are you making it all up on your own, or are you just afraid we'll all make fun of you if you admit you're getting it from nutjob websites?

Old 11-01-2014, 08:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
by definition, this cannot be true, because if "the creator" was "born with" the "universe",
then he/she/it would not be the creator.
Which is why I'm kind of uncomfortable with any title. But the "God" one is just loaded with Abrahamic baggage and I came to lean on "Creator."

Let's go with what some aboriginal people refer to as the Great Mystery. The name is quite unimportant. It is All.

And I like the idea of All coming into being along with the rest of the Universe. And I believe it too is evolving - as are we, as is the Universe. To me, it very nearly makes a sort of sense.

Quote:
To the OP, just because most (not all) Roman Catholic schools teach that evolution
could be true, or "is true" (depending upon the instructor, I presume), does not mean
anything. It was not long ago (within my lifetime) that the Catholic schools did NOT
teach evolution. Evolutionary science attempts to formulate answers that have not
been proven to be true, and is still missing conclusive evidence. The Church has no
official position, except to say that IF evolution happened, it was set forth and directed
by God.
Dream on - little dreamer dream on.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:53 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
I explained my belief of ( The World is only 6000 years old ) in other posts in this thread.
If you really want to know go back and read what I wrote.

I'm not going to rewrite over and over.

Just because you quoted bible passages does not mean you answered the question.

Try using YOUR words, not a bunch of copy and paste. That is the lazy persons way out. Or the ignorant* one.

*ignorant means not knowing, as opposed to the derogatory meaning. Just in case you were ignorant of what ignorant meant.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:57 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Oh, for pete's sake. Where are you finding all this nonsense, or are you just making it up on your own? You know, I asked you the other day to substantiate your assertions about the Beringian migration and the bible being the authority for a spherical Earth, but you didn't back that stuff up either.

So what's the story? Are you making it all up on your own, or are you just afraid we'll all make fun of you if you admit you're getting it from nutjob websites?
He gets it from places like 4 blocks from my place, a "creation science museum". Or, as my neighbor likes to call it, the "creative science museum". It sucks to live in the buckle of a bible belt.

Yes, even Canada has its share of whackadoos.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:13 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
Quote:
Did you even bother to read Isaiah 40:22? What is it about the "circle of the earth" that you can't understand?
I quoted Isaiah 40:22 in my post. Which shows you didn't bother to read it. What is it about 'circle' that you don't understand. A circle is not a sphere.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:20 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
Quote:
The laws of physics actually deny a 4.5 billion year old earth. The moon would have been much closer and would have caused huge tides. The strength of the magnetic field would have been so strong that that alone would have destroyed life. The earth would have experienced such strong winds as would have swept everything away. The earth would have turned so fast that centrifugal force would have thrown everything into space.

Also, there is not nearly enough mud and silt in the oceans and the salinity of the oceans deny an old earth.
Where do you get this stuff?

Old 11-02-2014, 05:43 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,440 times
The Scripture used fallible men to convey inerrant spiritual truths. It does not require the Scripture be scientifically accurate. I'm not sure where the claim ever gained ground that the Scripture teaches science. It doesn't.

I would recommend reading William Lane Craig's Defenders class regarding Biblical Inerrancy, as it will give you a better understanding.

Transcript: Doctrine of Revelation (part 6) | Reasonable Faith

Old 11-02-2014, 06:34 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,227 times
Quote:

What a load!!!

The Earth was a very violent place at the onset. Wind storms is NOTHING. BTW, we are on our third kind of atmosphere. The moon is vital for the well being of the Earth. And the moon used to be part of the Earth.

At the onset the Earth and our solar system were a violent place and there was no life on Earth.

The magnetic field is vital for our survival.

At the equator, the circumference of the Earth is 40,070 kilometers, and the day is 24 hours long so the speed is 1670 kilometers/hour ( 1070 miles/hr). Do you know why you cannot tell folks like you cannot tell you are spinning at more than a 1000 miles per hour. The earth could spin at 3000 miles per hour and you would know, other than the day would be 8 hours long. Have you ever studied simple basic physics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity