Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:34 PM

1,100 posts, read 795,914 times

Advertisements

Christians should lean on the Lord Jesus Christ when angry so as to not to sin.

Rioters may revolt against an unfair jusgment or an unfair loss of life, but it usually winds up taking it out on innocent bystanders, business owners, and even the poor.

Proverbs 28:3 A poor man that oppresseth the poor is like a sweeping rain which leaveth no food. 4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked: but such as keep the law contend with them. 5 Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the Lord understand all things. 6 Better is the poor that walketh in his uprightness, than he that is perverse in his ways, though he be rich....

Hebrews 13:1Let brotherly love continue. 2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares....5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. 6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

1 Peter 2:11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; 12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation. 13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; 14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. 15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men: 16 As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God. 17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

Romans 13:1Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. 2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: 4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. 5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.

Psalm 37 at this link below:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...37&version=KJV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 07:48 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Christians Should Avoid Temptations To Riot
I agree. You could get shot.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:15 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
This one should be relatively easy. I don't recall ever feeling a temptation to riot.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I agree. You could get shot.
Only God knows if any of His own were out there in those streets during this impromptu "peaceful protest" over a shooting of a young black man that turned into a riot. That's giving evil one an opportunity using the rage against the injustice to create more injustice.

I believe any peaceful protest should get permission from the city first as any other lawful assembly does when protesting something; and usually, it is at the place that can address the injustice; not everywhere else.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
This one should be relatively easy. I don't recall ever feeling a temptation to riot.
Count your blessings then. It can happen to the best of us which is why we need to trust the Lord Jesus Christ as our Good Shepherd to lead us away from temptations and deliver us from the evil one when that devil does get a grip on our anger.

1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

Ephesians 4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: 27 Neither give place to the devil. 28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Even the victims of riots should lean on Him for help.

Romans 12:14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. 15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. 16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. 17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. 18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. 20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:10 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
LOL, that's what I was thinking!

I mean..."temptations to riot"? Holy cow. Against what? Christians are the majority. Who do you need to riot against?

Old 11-03-2014, 06:12 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
Only God knows if any of His own were out there in those streets during this impromptu "peaceful protest" over a shooting of a young black man that turned into a riot. That's giving evil one an opportunity using the rage against the injustice to create more injustice.

I believe any peaceful protest should get permission from the city first as any other lawful assembly does when protesting something; and usually, it is at the place that can address the injustice; not everywhere else.
Yes, that was over a shooting. The death of someone.

What on earth would give someone the temptation to riot based on Christianity? What would move Christians to riot? A riot against whom? Against what protest? I don't see a lot of people ending up shot because they were Christians, hence prompting a protest in which other Christians would riot.

Just a personal opinion: if the very nature of your religion makes you so angry that you want to riot, you may want to rethink things.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:25 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
Count your blessings then. It can happen to the best of us which is why we need to trust the Lord Jesus Christ as our Good Shepherd to lead us away from temptations and deliver us from the evil one when that devil does get a grip on our anger.
Actually, no - I don't see any reason to agree that we need that at all. I'm 57 years old, and I have managed to get through every one of those 57 years by not "trusting" or even asking the lord to lead me away from the temptation to riot. In my case, I have found that simply not being the type of person who is tempted to riot - having a firmly established sense of right and wrong, and a sane, healthy person's control of his emotions - has been more than enough to keep me from ever feeling tempted to riot.

Taking responsibility for my own behavior seems to work just fine; I've never once felt the need to ask the lord to step in and stop me from being a sociopathic idiot. No offense, but I find your view incredibly cynical. "It can happen to the best of us?" No, I'm sorry - people who riot in the streets are not "the best of us" by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
I don't Biblical references are needed when it comes to the topic of rioting.
Common sense should tell someone to avoid the situation at all times.
I can honestly say though I have never had the "temptation to riot" in all my 53 years so I think I'm good and can avoid this temptation for the rest of my life.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:07 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Well, I must say I've never been tempted to riot. Not a teeny-tiny bit tempted. And our neighborhood had looting and burning during the King riots. If the devil was going to whisper in my ear and say, "Go on. Join in. Get yourself a couple of free TV's." he missed his big chance.

Though I did feel like giving a good swift kick in the pants to the idiots who burned down our local Sav-On drugstore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity