Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 08:12 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,383,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
What I think people need to do is ask themselves can this scripture actually mean without beginning and if they see a beginning then it should be clear that the translation eternal CANNOT be correct. Same goes for without end. If neither can be established then it should be obvious that eternal is an incorrect translation. Please try this with any scripture before you post it as it is a simple exercise that I believe will help many.
Let take eternal life for instance. Does this have a starting point? Does it not start when we accept Jesus Christ as Lord and saviour? If not, then does not all people already have it? Something without beginning and without end makes no sense if aionion life is only given after our acceptance of Jesus Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 08:27 AM

903 posts, read 582,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
It is impossible for God to eternally torture men, women
and children in the popular conception called "Hell" and still be a loving God. That is why this is so
important.
I know I am coming in, in the middle of this, but I believe this is a false statement. He does not torture them, they are tortured because of the rejection of His son. God provided the way out, we have to accept it.

God took the very weight of all of the world's sins upon Himself. His simple request is that we acknowledge that fact and allow Him to be Lord of our lives.

And remember Romans speaks to all of creation pointing to Him. So none have an excuse. When it comes to children most believe there is an age of accountability. Most focus on the verses in Psalms where David expresses that he will see his son again in Heaven.

For those earnestly seeking Him, He will be found. :O)

Old 11-07-2014, 08:56 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
and which scripture would this be that aion and its adjective means without beginning and without end?

Is it not obvious that if the scripture is speaking about the judgments of God that there IS A BEGINNING? What people do to justify their stance that aionios means eternal is to play around with BOTH words, the Greek and the English, to make them mean without end, forgetting that eternal actually means WITHOUT BEGINNING and WITHOUT END.
When it is applied to God.

Eternal can mean without beginning or end, but it can also mean with a beginning and without end as believers are given eternal life. We all had a beginning of life and some will never have an end to it. Or the "eternal mountains" some of which came to an end and some may well last forever on the earth.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
When it is applied to God.

Eternal can mean without beginning or end, but it can also mean with a beginning and without end as believers are given eternal life. We all had a beginning of life and some will never have an end to it. Or the "eternal mountains" some of which came to an end and some may well last forever on the earth.
Expat, supply a scripture please.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
I know I am coming in, in the middle of this, but I believe this is a false statement. He does not torture them, they are tortured because of the rejection of His son. God provided the way out, we have to accept it.

God took the very weight of all of the world's sins upon Himself. His simple request is that we acknowledge that fact and allow Him to be Lord of our lives.

And remember Romans speaks to all of creation pointing to Him. So none have an excuse. When it comes to children most believe there is an age of accountability. Most focus on the verses in Psalms where David expresses that he will see his son again in Heaven.

For those earnestly seeking Him, He will be found. :O)
You might want to read through this thread.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...according.html

Old 11-07-2014, 09:30 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Expat, supply a scripture please.
Please note in an earlier email YOU gave supporting scripture that eternal in this instance meant with out end.

ASV Psalm 37:29 The righteous shall inherit the land, And dwell therein for ever.

Do you believe a believer will ultimately die at the end of an age?

Plus as to mountains on earth forever.

Ecclesiastes 1:4King James Version (KJV)
4 One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.

The context shows it is from age to age to ............................ Meaningless if not forever.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Please note in an earlier email YOU gave supporting scripture that eternal in this instance meant with out end. Do you believe a believer will ultimately die at the end of an age?
I have never said aion or its adjective is without end Expat, I do recall you missunderstand my post a bit, but I corrected you on my understanding in another post.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Please note in an earlier email YOU gave supporting scripture that eternal in this instance meant with out end.

ASV Psalm 37:29 The righteous shall inherit the land, And dwell therein for ever.

4 One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.

The context shows it is from age to age to ............................ Meaningless if not forever.

No, because they will have put on immortality.

A generation is going, and a generation is coming, and the earth to the age is standing. Youngs literal

Do you not believe in a New heaven and a new earth? How then is the earth spoken of here forever?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
No, because they will have put on immortality.

A generation is going, and a generation is coming, and the earth to the age is standing. Youngs literal

Do you not believe in a New heaven and a new earth? How then is the earth spoken of here forever?
Also of note is that the earth had a starting point so cannot mean eternal.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:01 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,963,052 times
Quote:

Ecc 1:4 One generation goes, and another generation comes, Yet the earth is standing for the eon."

(YLT) A generation is going, and a generation is coming, and the earth to the age is standing.

(LXX+WH+) γενεαG1074 N-NSF πορευεταιG4198 V-PMI-3S καιG2532 CONJ γενεαG1074 N-NSF ερχεταιG2064 V-PMI-3S καιG2532 CONJ ηG3588 T-NSF γηG1065 N-NSF εις τον αιωνα εστηκεν
Into the eon standing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity