Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:45 AM

802 posts, read 453,567 times

Advertisements

Should we regard the Book of Genesis as inspired and historical?

If not, which other books of the bible aren't historical and/or inspired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 09:54 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Every storybook is inspired by the imagination of the people who wrote it, including Genesis and the other books of the bible.

Historical?

You're joking, right?

Old 11-03-2014, 10:40 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,378,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post

I believe it is inspired, but how perfectly historical it is?..That I'm not so sure of. I believe it is at least a metaphorically accurate description of the events at that time of history. I believe there was a fall of man of some kind and I do believe there was a flood of somekind (more likely local than Global given that several cultures described a huge flood around that time). I find the idea of 6 literal 24 hour days of creation highly unlikely based on what we know of science... [prepares for flood of Youngearther arguments].

Old 11-03-2014, 01:33 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,977,960 times
This thread is just setting up for a major argument. I am curious if there are people that believe this book is not real, then what evidence do they have?

Old 11-03-2014, 02:23 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:

It is

Old 11-03-2014, 07:23 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,204 times
[quote]
Quote:
Yes

Quote:
Oh I'm sure someone will come along soon and tell us.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:53 PM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Default Is the Book of Genesis inspired?

Inspired, Yes . . . historical of course NOT! It chronicles our species evolution of knowledge and understanding of God . . . beginning with the knowledge of good and evil. It is something each and every one of us has to experience in our individual lives, too . . . "as it was in the beginning, is now and ever will be."

Old 11-04-2014, 09:16 PM

691 posts, read 640,613 times
Let's see, Genesis 1:1 is considered by today's intellectual's as being merely a simplistic explanation for the origin of the universe which is written that in the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. So therefore it must be considered as nothing more than just a myth fabricated by some ancient goat herders.

However, merely substitute a couple of words and then- bada bing- bada boom! in the beginning you have a 'primordial atom' that instantaneously formed the expanse and matter of the known universe. And instead of of being some ancient myth of goat herders, you got the new and original scientific theory known as the Big Bang theory of today's scientific intellectuals.

Seems it isn't really as more scientific than the goat herders myth.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:43 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,427,235 times
Some of Genesis comes from the Epic of Gilgamesh, written about 1200 BCE, and some of that coms from earlier writings, I forget the name.
These hail from the mesopotiania basin, which was more than likely destroyed by a cataclysmic flood with the collapse of the seawall separating the Black sea from the ocean.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:45 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,427,235 times
Quote:

"Inspired" is a poor choice of words, used as an excuse to get off the subject.

There is much in the bible that speaks of the people, their lives, the times, what was important to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity