U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:29 PM

85 posts, read 289,614 times

Advertisements

Here's my take....

Genesis 1:1 is a preface of the Story of the Beginning of Creation.

Genesis 1:2 documents us the CONDITION OF THE DEEP (empty, null & void) BEFORE anything was created or made.

Genesis 1:3 narrates us the bringing forth of the True Light -- before the work of old.

Genesis 1:4 God divided the Light from the darkness before the start of any work of creation.

Genesis 1:5 Light Day and Night - the 1st. Day.

IOW, I believe the Scripture documents us that the actual formation of the 1st. heaven only took place on the 2nd Day (Genesis 1:6-8) and our universe were made on the 3rd day - NOT Genesis 1:1-- as others would like us believe.

Your thought please....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 10:40 PM

15,091 posts, read 19,732,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pillars View Post
I believe the Scripture documents us that the actual formation of the 1st. heaven only took place on the 2nd Day (Genesis 1:6-8) and our universe were made on the 3rd day - NOT Genesis 1:1-- as others would like us believe.

Your thought please....
I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. What do you mean by "the 1st heaven?" What is the first heaven? And for that matter, what would the second heaven be?

And if the universe wasn't created until the 3rd day, what do you think it means by the expanse separating the waters in Genesis 1:6,7? If the universe didn't come along till the next day, then what do you think the waters and expanse mean?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:37 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,450,127 times
As I've understood Genesis 1:1, this was the initial creation by G-d. Genesis 1:2 describes the fall of Satan from heaven, which is how the earth became formless and void. It is predicated on G-d being able to create beauty and perfection (1:1) and how the fall of Satan and the intrusion of sin allows the creation to be formless and void (1:2).

Old 01-04-2008, 12:33 AM

7,946 posts, read 14,607,446 times
In church I always learned of the 3 heavens. The first is our atmosphere, the second is anything in outer space, and third is where God resides. I never learned Genesis 1:2 to be discussing the fall of Satan. That is Isaiah 14:12-17.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:14 AM

25 posts, read 45,292 times
Default An Atheist Brighter Than You

I read these 2 facts in a book by a self-proclaimed Atheist.

1. Gen 2.4-5: ... in the day that 'He Is Gods' (MYHLA HWHY) made the earth and the heavens BEFORE any plant of the field was in the earth and BEFORE any herb of the field had grown ..."

2. Gen 1.11: And 'Gods' (MYHLA) said, 'The earth will briong forth grass, the herb that yields seed ...."

3. Gen 1.13. And the Evening (Darkness) and the Morning (Light) were the third day."

So then, this Atheist writer spotted the "herb on the third day," and also, "the earth created BEFORE the herb."

He was quite pleased with himself, saying, "The Bible is full of contradictions, and there is no God."

I immediately said to myself, "I can do better than that."

And Jesus directed me in my discovery of, "The Parable of Creation."

The "Creation" ended in AD 77, with the founding of New Heavens and a New Earth."

sl33w

Old 01-06-2008, 08:20 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,450,127 times
Default errata

Bchris02:
I never learned Genesis 1:2 to be discussing the fall of Satan. That is Isaiah 14:12-17.

Hi BChris,
Isaiah can be taken as an extrapolation of Genesis. Genesis 1:2 is relatively vague and elementary, but it describes a 'formless and void' earth. This is a contradiction of the beauty and wonder G-d typically creates, as was done in 1:1.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:43 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,961,166 times
I once heard an interesting view, that added a new perspective.

Before the "beginning", God was all there was. So if God was all there was, God needed to withdraw, in order to make room for that which was to be created by God.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:44 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,642,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. What do you mean by "the 1st heaven?" What is the first heaven? And for that matter, what would the second heaven be?

And if the universe wasn't created until the 3rd day, what do you think it means by the expanse separating the waters in Genesis 1:6,7? If the universe didn't come along till the next day, then what do you think the waters and expanse mean?
I too was having trouble following him/her. However, the Scriptures are clear, "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made." (Genesis 1:31; 2:1,2)

Six days period.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Dear Mark,

1st Firmament or Heaven was made on the 2nd Day. Gen 1:6-8 It was formed in the midst or middle of the Water, and Water was above and below it. IOW, the 1st Heaven, was surrounded by water. It was later destroyed, totally and completely, by that same Water, when the "windows of heaven were opened. Gen. 7:11

Our Heaven or Universe is surrounded by "star-dust" and was made on the 3rd Day. Gen 2:4-5 The Big Bang happened on the 3rd Day, the same Day Jesus made our Heaven or Kosmos, and also the 3rd Heaven. ll Corinthians 12:2 tells us of the Apostle Paul being taken to the 3rd Heaven. The 3rd Heaven is where Jesus is today, preparing a place for us. I'm glad He is because our Universe will be Burned. ll Peter 3:10

God Bless

Old 01-08-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I too was having trouble following him/her. However, the Scriptures are clear, "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made." (Genesis 1:31; 2:1,2)

Six days period.
Dear Marks,

Genesis 1 is an Outline of ALL of the events leading to the Creation of the Perfect Heaven. Most of the rest of the Bible refers to the present 6th Day, but ALL of the Bible refers to the events of God's 6 Creative Days.

That's why we are taken back to the 3rd Day at Gen 2:4. The narrative is adding details to the events listed in Gen 1. Both accounts agree totally and in detail.

What is amazing is that God wrote our History more than 3,000 years ago, and the events at the end of the 6th Day are still Future. IOW, God told the complete story of the Creation in Genesis 1 and beginning at Gen 2:4, we begin to learn the details of the events of Genesis 1.

The unscriptural assumption of 24hrs/day during the creation or Genesis 1 is refuted by the Scripture. The 7th day of God has no end - eternal.

God Bless

Last edited by 4Pillars; 01-08-2008 at 06:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity