Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 08:48 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
So are you suggesting that what we are saying does not happen? It seems like you are attempting to put the burden of proof on us, but honestly, before I even attempt to prove my point, I want to know do you think there is validity to the point being made? Yes or no?

And no this is not me attempting to avoid your request, I made this same point earlier but you didn't really say anything of whether you agreed or not.
No, it does not happen. I have yet to see anything to indicate that Atheists have to mock or belittle Christians to fulfill a need to validate their non-belief. You said it. You show the evidence. Now, let's be clear. I've seen Christians come to threads in the A&A forum and complain that Atheists are disrespectful. Oh well. That stuff happens in Internet forums. The issue that you are defending is that it is being done specifically to validate their disbelief.

Of course, a few Atheists could jump in and tel me that he have to do that as a tenet of their Atheism. If they do, I'll step back and admit that it happens.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:48 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I agree that beliefs are fair game, whereas believers are not. Regrettably, many believers cannot separate the two. Critique of belief = attack on the believer in the minds of many.

Consider that most Christians are told that faith is a virtue and the intellect is to be mistrusted. And if your faith is undermined, lost, or even just questioned, you are in danger of god's displeasure, perhaps including eternal hellfire, or at least earthly chastisement. .
Since I have never met a Christian who feels as you post above, maybe you can provide evidence that such is the case for "most Christians" or is this just a snyde remark of no value on this forum and actually demeaning you?

Old 11-07-2014, 08:50 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
No, it does not happen. I have yet to see anything to indicate that Atheists have to mock or belittle Christians to fulfill a need to validate their non-belief. You said it. You show the evidence. Now, let's be clear. I've seen Christians come to threads in the A&A forum and complain that Atheists are disrespectful. Oh well. That stuff happens in Internet forums. The issue that you are defending is that it is being done specifically to validate their disbelief.

Of course, a few Atheists could jump in and tel me that he have to do that as a tenet of their Atheism. If they do, I'll step back and admit that it happens.
See my last post to Mordant.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:50 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,949 times
Quote:
Did you actually read what I said?

I'm not disputing this. I am saying, once mensaguy decided to bring up points that addressed the opposite, then he has changed the conversation and he is no longer addressing what jeffbase40 was stating.
I did read it, did you read what I said? I said it doesn't matter if someone rejects a positive claim by stating "not what they say!". The positive claim must be addressed prior to moving on to addressing him. It is not the burden of the person rejecting the claim to "prove" their position, it is only the burden of the person that makes the initiating claim which in this case is jeffbase.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:10 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,980,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I did read it, did you read what I said? I said it doesn't matter if someone rejects a positive claim by stating "not what they say!". The positive claim must be addressed prior to moving on to addressing him. It is not the burden of the person rejecting the claim to "prove" their position, it is only the burden of the person that makes the initiating claim which in this case is jeffbase.
Again I am not addressing the same thing, you are addressing. I am not disagreeing with you. I am talking about something different than you.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
How do I or anyone else prove to you that it happens? You can see someone mocking and belittling Christians, as you stated, as stuff that happens on the Internet, and you do not see it as fulfilling their non-beliefs.

I am going to break this down and use a certain poster (I will give you their name and examples of their behavior if necessary) for example. There is a poster who frequents this section and is not a Christian. This poster has more posts on the Christian section than on any other part of the Religion subsections. This poster often mocks Christians on here and antagonize, are you suggesting that someone who does not believe in Christianity, would mock Christians and spend most of their time arguing with Christians and that has nothing to do with their non-belief?

Here is this posters statistics just in case you were interested:
Atheism and Agnosticism: 62 posts
Buddhism: 5 posts
Christianity: 2216 posts
Islam: 4 posts
Judaism: 1 post
Paganism: 191 posts

Why would someone who is not a Christian have almost 5 times as many posts on the Christian section than he/she has on any other section combined? What would be the purpose to keep coming to this section?

How many Muslims do you see come on this section? The reality is, if you don't believe in Christianity then why would you spend most of your time discussing their religion with them. It's either one or two things, it's either you are proselytizing or you are validating your non-belief. What other reason would you spend with people you clearly disagree with? It's either you are trying to make yourself feel like you are right and/or you are trying to convert people to your belief system.

Which one do you think it is?

Quote:
But you need it to be a tenet of their beliefs to believe that is what they are doing? So I ask you, what does mocking a Christian to validate a person's non-belief look like to you?

Last edited by justtitans; 11-07-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 09:39 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
...snip...

Here is this posters statistics just in case you were interested:
Atheism and Agnosticism: 62 posts
Buddhism: 5 posts
Christianity: 2216 posts
Islam: 4 posts
Judaism: 1 post
Paganism: 191 posts

Why would someone who is not a Christian have almost 5 times as many posts on the Christian section than he/she has on any other section combined? What would be the purpose to keep coming to this section?
...snip...
Hey crybaby, you forgot to mention my 3123 posts in the Religion & Spirituality forum. An honest, Christian error I suppose. Not a deliberate attempt to mislead anyone....

Nor did you mention I WAS a Christian for many years.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Hey crybaby, you forgot to mention my 3123 posts in the Religion & Spirituality forum.

Nor did you mention I WAS a Christian for many years.

How did you know I was talking about you? Wow, conviction is strong.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is most likely a response to the Christians who feel compelled to stick their nose into OTHER peoples' sins instead of their own. Christians trying to get laws passed to enforce their rules on everyone else. You know the arrogant busybody attitude you claim to have a right to. Seems like pushback to me.
Why are you talking about yourself like that?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:43 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,949 times
Quote:
How did you know I was talking about you? Wow, conviction is strong.
I guess he checked his stats! Speaking about a subject that has an affect on policy that ultimately affects everyone in the country is hardly off base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity