Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 01:00 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Pcamps, even in believe Jesus referenced the OT often, probably more than are recorded in the NT.

He had to do this, because the fundamentalists of his day were like the fundamentalists of our day, they knew the law by heart without knowing the heart of the Law. So it was entirely about "But I say unto you," (that your take on the scripture is wrong). Like the fundamentalists of today, the Pharisees over emphasized judgment and scriptural righteousness. Jesus, on the other hand completely reversed that concept not only with His Sermon on the Mount, but with how He interacted with those His fundamentalists despised and rejected.

So, yes, scripture was very important to Jesus as it should be to us. Fundamentalists are STILL missing the heart of the message Jesus gave us while remaining focused on the "letter" of the law as "perfect."
I fully agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 01:17 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
This article caught my eye because I have always thought of Jesus as a cool, carefree hippy type of dude. I have no idea why, but that is the image I have of him. The kind of guy who will chill and have some wine with anyone and not judge them. If he were alive today I can picture him listening to the Grateful Dead and laughing with friends. I can picture him feeding the homeless instead of mocking them.

Then I read what people who have actually read the entire Bible (unlike me) say about how Jesus was in the Bible and it seems that he was not the guy I have always thought him to me. I like to think though that if the Bible paints Jesus as anything other than a loving and kind soul then the Bible is wrong...or am I?

Jesus Didn't Care About Correct Doctrine, and Neither Should We*|*Mick Mooney
Jesus didn't go to blend in with their wrong lifestyles but rather to convert them to His.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:29 PM

939 posts, read 794,954 times
Jesus was and is love more than anything else. He loves everyone- no matter what they do or how they live. That does not mean he condones anything that goes against Gods Law, however.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:31 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Careful, DROB . . . Jesus refuted things in your inerrant and infallible Bible . . . "Ye have heard it was said . . . but I say"
Jesus did not refute anything that was written in the Old Testament but rather refuted those who twisted the Old Testament such as you do. He said "You have heard it said" He didn't say, you have seen it written.

The intent of what God had written was different then what some were saying about it, and so it is today concerning all Scripture. Rather then being taught by the Spirit they consume things with their own human understanding and then do much damage with their mouths and own writings.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:35 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
Jesus was and is love more than anything else. He loves everyone- no matter what they do or how they live. That does not mean he condones anything that goes against Gods Law, however.
You realize that there are those that he hates, right? And that he intentionally hid the message of the Gospel from some....right?

Old 04-02-2015, 01:56 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Careful, DROB . . . Jesus refuted things in your inerrant and infallible Bible . . . "Ye have heard it was said . . . but I say"
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Jesus did not refute anything that was written in the Old Testament but rather refuted those who twisted the Old Testament such as you do. He said "You have heard it said" He didn't say, you have seen it written.
The intent of what God had written was different then what some were saying about it, and so it is today concerning all Scripture. Rather then being taught by the Spirit they consume things with their own human understanding and then do much damage with their mouths and own writings.
First of all God wrote nothing . . . men did. Second the majority of teaching was done orally . . . NOT in written form . . . that is why Jesus used those words. Third what Jesus refuted WAS also written in the OT and read to people . . . hence the hearing part. You are being disingenuous and that is NOT what Jesus would expect of His followers.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:00 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You realize that there are those that he hates, right? And that he intentionally hid the message of the Gospel from some....right?
Utterly preposterous. You deny the Great Commission??? This is the most glaring example that you do NOT know Christ and God at all. You worship the words "written in ink" in the Bible . . . NOT Christ or God. You are not spreading the Good News, pastor.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:02 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:

Yes, when he said that he was referring to what was written and later ignored or changed by men who put their own thoughts/revelation first and ... ignored scripture. Lot of those around today, they have no real understanding of the scriptures so follow their own revelations.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:45 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why would you waste the time to post on the thread, then?
To point out that the OP is correct?

Old 04-02-2015, 02:56 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Jesus didn't go to blend in with their wrong lifestyles but rather to convert them to His.
A big "AMEN" ! The ideas people get in their minds,

Quote:

Boy, O boy, you can say this again and is worth repeating !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes, when he said that he was referring to what was written and later ignored or changed by men who put their own thoughts/revelation first and ... ignored scripture. Lot of those around today, they have no real understanding of the scriptures so follow their own revelations.
Yeah, and some of these revelations I can watch on the syfy channel,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity